Billy Joe Shaver has died

“but you haven’t lived till you’ve heard Roy Acuff sing about Jesus and the great speckled bird”

That's a great article-

I want to post a comment from the article I posted, which illustrates, I think, just how far reaching this man's passing is:

Preston F. Kirk
October 28, 2020 @ 3:16 pm

Only an “eighth grade education?” That’s BULL****!! He attended LaVega High School in Bellmead — NOT Waco TX — and wrote for the high school’s “The Pirate’s Jewels,” the literary annual. His favorite and renowned from NY to TX Sr. English teacher was Mabel Legg who gave me copies of the PJs before her death at 102 and marked Billy Joe’s pieces with a CHECK MARK, because he was too shy to have his name attached. I HAVE THOSE. Also, my brother David Kirk, who has barbered for 60 years cut BJS’s hair a huge number of times, and Billy’s sister is a FB friend of mine! Otherwise, the story is a good read. — Former reporter for United Press Int’l, a Founding Ed. of Houston Business Journal, Texas Business Magazine, Dollar Dynamics Newsletter.

Note the credentials

" Three icons went unmentioned at the 2020 CMAs: John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, and Billy Joe Shaver. As a result, Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires have announced that they’re returning their lifetime membership cards to the Country Music Association. "

Forum List

Back