Is there a thread devoted to bass players ?

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Not gonna waste my time searching through all the clutter, so here's a new one.

Here's one of my favorites who is generally underrated because his band mates were
John Bonham, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page.

John Paul Jones was ( and still is) a very accomplished keyboard player also.

Stanley Clarke - School Days

I had that album.
Check out the list of musicians on there....

Here's one of my favorites who is generally underrated because his band mates were

Lee Sklar.

In newer bands, I really enjoy the bass work of P-Nut of the band 311, though to appreciate it, you need a system able to play loud REALLY low, on the order of 20 Hz or so. He has this really cool bass guitar which seems to have little lights in the neck that lights up the frets as little dots in the dark.

Jamerson's discography at Motown reads as a catalog of soul hits of the 1960s and early 1970s.[15][16] His work includes hits such as, among hundreds of others, "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Supremes, "My Girl" by The Temptations, "Shotgun" by Jr. Walker & the All Stars, "For Once in My Life" and "I Was Made to Love Her" by Stevie Wonder, "Going to a Go-Go" by The Miracles, "Dancing in the Street" by Martha and the Vandellas, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Gladys Knight & the Pips and later by Marvin Gaye, and most of the album What's Going On by Marvin Gaye, "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "Bernadette" by the Four Tops.[17][c] He occasionally recorded for other labels, such as "Boom Boom" by John Lee Hooker in 1962 and "Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson in 1967.[12] Motown released 537 singles in 1960s and over 200 albums.[20][21][d] According to fellow Funk Brothers in the 2002 documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown, Gaye was desperate to have Jamerson play on "What's Going On", and went to several bars to find the bassist. When he did, he brought Jamerson to the studio, but Jamerson was too intoxicated to stay upright, so James played the classic line while lying flat on his back.
1603911729006.png

The following are my three favorites.

Barry Bales of Alison Krauss and Union Station.
Dana Williams of Diamond Rio
Jim Scholten of Sawyer Brown

God bless you and all three acts always!!!

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

Forum List

Back