biggest difference between Catholic and Protestant... Real Presence

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
Catholics teach that when the bread is consecrated by the priest (rather by Jesus through the priest) it actually becomes Jesus

see John 6:27--- "Unless you eat my flesh... you have no life in you" (supernatural life)

Hosts are kept in the Church 24/7 (except on Good Friday)... where all can enjoy His tangible Presence
(only absolved Catholics can consume the Host)
Protestants do not believe in t his or if they do, they do not HAVE it because they do not have a valid priesthood to consecrate the host...

so I have heard that this is the biggest difference.. and also, I know this is so due to my own experiences. Once I was outside the Church... Now I am in... I have many complaints about all the new changes since Vat II... hate most of them.. but still... I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Last edited:

John 6:27-40

King James Version

27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

What version were you quoting

John 6:27-40​

King James Version​

27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

What version were you quoting
did you read John 6:27-72?

Jesus speaks of eating Him

he lost a lot of followers over that... I don't see what your point is... relevancy of that scripture..

and the Douay Rheims is the most reliable version of the Bible

Catholics teach that when the bread is consecrated by the priest (rather by Jesus through the priest) it actually becomes Jesus

see John 6:27--- "Unless you eat my flesh... you have no life in you" (supernatural life)

Hosts are kept in the Church 24/7 (except on Good Friday)... where all can enjoy His tangible Presence
Protestants do not believe in t his or if they do, they do not HAVE it because they do not have a valid priesthood to consecrate the host...

so I have heard that this is the biggest difference.. and also, I know this is so due to my own experiences. Once I was outside the Church... Now I am in... I have many complaints about all the new changes since Vat II... hate most of them.. but still... I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater
I thought this stupid BS ended 200 years ago........ Obviously not. Satan loves to turn the faithful against each other.

The real difference between Catholics and Protestants can be summed up quite easily:

Catholics: Faith plus works equals salvation.
Protestants: Faith equals salvation plus works.

I think the Faith vs. Good Works thing is in the past.

Catholics do not believe, and have never believed, that you can "earn" salvation with good works, and Protestants have never believed that evildoers can be saved through faith. It is a nonsense argument, and BOTH SIDES can cite passages from the NT to back up their position...so what?

Prods do not believe in
  • Intercessionary prayer,
  • praying for the dead,
  • Transubstantiation,
  • Forgiveness of sins by a priest, or
  • The semi-divinity of the Blessed Mother.
Catholics are strident in their refusal to accept homosexual sodomy, divorce and remarriage, and women priests. Catholics are EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the concept of being "saved" as a state of being in this life. It just doesn't work for Catholics.

None of this should stand in the way of accepting each other as "Brothers in Christ," or even embracing faithful jews as fellow "sons of Abraham," to be respected without reservation.

The OFFICIAL stance of the Catholic Church on salvation is that anyone who, (1) believes in God, (2) believes in the afterlife, and (3) believes that there is an ultimate reward for virtue and punishment for evil, can be "saved."

I thought this stupid BS ended 200 years ago........ Obviously not. Satan loves to turn the faithful against each other.

The real difference between Catholics and Protestants can be summed up quite easily:

The primary difference:

Probably felt it was a huge apostacy

Hmmm ... I remember in this context the so called "Old Catholics" - who are today in unity with the Anglican Church. From my point of view is the Anglican Church a protestant church and the Old Catholics are today more "modern" than Catholics. So my question now: Were your parents able to follow the way which they thought it is the better way?

Last edited:

well, that's what you have been told

maybe you should take a free RCIA class and find out the truth of what Catholics believe

as opposed to believing some pastor or some who the heck knows person who hates Catholicism...

Scott Hahn used to hate it... but he RESEARCHED it...

maybe others should do the same

I think the Faith vs. Good Works thing is in the past.

Catholics do not believe, and have never believed, that you can "earn" salvation with good works, and Protestants have never believed that evildoers can be saved through faith. It is a nonsense argument, and BOTH SIDES can cite passages from the NT to back up their position...so what?

Prods do not believe in
  • Intercessionary prayer,
  • praying for the dead,
  • Transubstantiation,
  • Forgiveness of sins by a priest, or
  • The semi-divinity of the Blessed Mother.
Catholics are strident in their refusal to accept homosexual sodomy, divorce and remarriage, and women priests. Catholics are EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the concept of being "saved" as a state of being in this life. It just doesn't work for Catholics.

None of this should stand in the way of accepting each other as "Brothers in Christ," or even embracing faithful jews as fellow "sons of Abraham," to be respected without reservation.

The OFFICIAL stance of the Catholic Church on salvation is that anyone who, (1) believes in God, (2) believes in the afterlife, and (3) believes that there is an ultimate reward for virtue and punishment for evil, can be "saved."
good read

no argument

well, that's what you have been told

maybe you should take a free RCIA class and find out the truth of what Catholics believe

as opposed to believing some pastor or some who the heck knows person who hates Catholicism...

Scott Hahn used to hate it... but he RESEARCHED it...

maybe others should do the same
Wow, that was clueless....... I was raised Roman Catholic....... Oops!

Soooooo, are you saying Protestants aren't true Christians and don't have salvation? :dunno:

Last edited:

The biggest difference is the amount of money they demand of you, in general the Protestants demand less, but the Evangelicals will take everything from you if you're not careful.

Wow, that was clueless....... I was raised Roman Catholic....... Oops!

Soooooo, are you saying Protestants aren't true Christians and don't have salvation? :dunno:
if you can't tell what I said... maybe u should read it again

actually, this is not far off

Catholics DO believe you have to do good works to get to Heaven... Why wouldn't anyone believe that?

to believe otherwise is to say

OK, Jesus... there are starving people in the world and maybe I should feed some of them becaus I have a lot of $$ and can do so, but I don't have to so... um... yeh, maybe later or something

OK Jesus... I know someone who needs my help with (this/that) problem but... I just don't feel like it and probably won't in the future either and besides, I know I am saved anyway, so I am going to play golf right now and later have a few drinks.

Please

Jesus does not teach that.

Read Mt 2531

Catholics are the ones who take the Bible seriously

Forum List

Back