Biden signs bill that mandates Kill Switch on all new motor vehicles sold in the US

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Better hope your dem governor does not leave you stranded in a snowstorm climate change storm on I-95. ;)

Applicable to vehicles manufactured after 2026 with exemptions given to cop cars and ambulances

New Law Will Install Kill Switches In All New Cars

H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act

Section 24205

mandates that the motor automatically shut off if left in idle after a certain period of time

then technology to prevent the movement of a vehicle when NOT in park setting....

the time for idling prior to shut off will be determined by the secretary of transportation and may vary on type of vehicle and type of fuel used by the motor

The maximum speed for engaging in a "kill switch" is also to be determined by the secretary of transportation
vehicles in which the seatbelt is unbuckled for the driver will shutdown or when the door is open

Also in the law is a requirement that the driving actions will be monitored and if the algorithm determines that the driver is impaired...the vehicle will shut down.

But it will be a boon to mechanics that will specialize in disabling kill switches. Just like what happened in 1974 with the seat belts that had to be connected for the engine to start. It was easy to find a mechanic to disable them and the idea didn't last long.

They're going full retard. From another article:

"$2 billion will be given to the EPA, which is super comforting considering armed EPA agents have been raiding auto shops in a quest to bust anyone associated with “emissions defeat devices” which can be defined rather broadly. Some think the RPM Act will shelter them, but it's looking more and more like that won't happen."

D.C. Politicians Stick It To Car Enthusiasts

They're going full retard. From another article:

"$2 billion will be given to the EPA, which is super comforting considering armed EPA agents have been raiding auto shops in a quest to bust anyone associated with “emissions defeat devices” which can be defined rather broadly. Some think the RPM Act will shelter them, but it's looking more and more like that won't happen."

D.C. Politicians Stick It To Car Enthusiasts
Looks like I will need to do what I always do.

Find my own workaround.

So, in 2026 I need to trade in both my current cars and get two to last me the next decade or so. By the time those are worn out I will be in my 70s and will not really care any longer

You'll probably care after hackers figure out they can disable any vehicle they want to. It'll happen, just watch.

Na. My son told me that same thing about getting a car with auto start and an app for doing it as well as unlocking doors. The odds of a hacker choosing my little Ford Escape are far too small for me to worry about.

I may just grab a 60s-70s muscle car to restore and drive that until I am too old to drive.

What fun. :laughing0301:

1641848874565.png

Better hope your dem governor does not leave you stranded in a snowstorm climate change storm on I-95. ;)

Applicable to vehicles manufactured after 2026 with exemptions given to cop cars and ambulances

New Law Will Install Kill Switches In All New Cars

H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act

Section 24205

mandates that the motor automatically shut off if left in idle after a certain period of time

then technology to prevent the movement of a vehicle when NOT in park setting....

the time for idling prior to shut off will be determined by the secretary of transportation and may vary on type of vehicle and type of fuel used by the motor

The maximum speed for engaging in a "kill switch" is also to be determined by the secretary of transportation
vehicles in which the seatbelt is unbuckled for the driver will shutdown or when the door is open

Also in the law is a requirement that the driving actions will be monitored and if the algorithm determines that the driver is impaired...the vehicle will shut down.
The way our government works, what could go wrong?

You'll probably care after hackers figure out they can disable any vehicle they want to. It'll happen, just watch.
Yep for some chick he wants. This is insane, the government doesn't need that type of power. Your car was disabled because you reached your mile limit. That's okay, because Trump can do away with it. When he is reelected.

Wow. 69-30-1 was the Senate vote. Republicans are useless.
Vehicles have more crap in it that cost many thousands of dollars extra. If this Kill Switch cause problems, there are going to be lawsuits out the wazoo. What a joke. And it's on us more and more.

"Among other provisions, the bill directs DOT to establish a pilot program to demonstrate a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee..."

Government has the mentality of landlords, any little way to reduce freedom and soak money out of citizens trying to live in freedom and liberty.

Some of the ridiculous idiots who co-sponsored the bloated and vague legislation filled with all kinds of slush funds....only the best and brightest! :heehee:

Attachments

• p000604_200.jpg
    p000604_200.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 18
  • w000808_200.jpg
    w000808_200.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 19
  • w000788_200.jpg
    w000788_200.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Forum List