Biden going to raise tax on tobacco...so no one earning under $400k uses Tobacco?

I quit back in 2012, after smoking for 35 years.

People say that quitting smoking is the hardest thing they've ever done but, I gotta' be honest, once I decided I really, truly wanted to quit it was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

The last time I bought a single pack of cigarettes was in New York in 2010, and I paid $14 for it...
So the irritation wasn't the smoke...It was because your asshole hurt from the event in Jew Yakk ? I got a pack for my gardener about an hour ago. $1.85 of you do the 0/0

rightwinger
Nah. They like the tax money they get from Cigarettes. Once they don't have that they will have to look somewhere else for that money.

That’s OK.

We’ll make up the difference on legal weed sales.

You're confusing medical marijuana with recreational marijuana, pothead. The taxes on recreational pot are a "sin tax", just like liquor and cigarettes. When people quit smoking tobacco because of the high taxes, how do you think the federal government is going to make up the difference? By raising the taxes on recreational pot until eventually, nobody can afford it.

I’m sure NY will gladly see everyone quit

I doubt that. The NY government is very greedy with their tax money.

Further, the idea of actually purging a social ill from society was tried with the 18th Amendment adventure of the 1920's. Didn't work.

Many people like to smoke cigarettes just like many like to drink alcohol, smoke pot and crack or shoot smack.

You're confusing medical marijuana with recreational marijuana, pothead. The taxes on recreational pot are a "sin tax", just like liquor and cigarettes. When people quit smoking tobacco because of the high taxes, how do you think the federal government is going to make up the difference? By raising the taxes on recreational pot until eventually, nobody can afford it.

People have been buying and smoking untaxed and unregulated "recreational" grass since I was a kid.

That isn't going to change. The pot industry infrastructure is already there, the grass pushers will be there to serve America no matter how high they raise the tax.

What happened to the Biden lie that taxes would not go up on people earning under $400k?

The Democrats' $3.5 trillion budget proposal relies on a $100 billion tax hike that disproportionately targets the poor, lines the pockets of organized crime, and increases inequality.

The plan doubles the federal tax on cigarettes, which would break President Joe Biden's promise to raise taxes only on those earning more than $400,000. Households with an income of $35,000 or less smoke at three times the rate of households with incomes of more than $100,000. Richard Marianos, a 27-year veteran of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives who worked on gang violence, said a tobacco tax increase will punish vulnerable communities.

Cost of Smoking-Related Illness
Smoking-related illness in the United States costs more than $300 billion each year, including: More than $225 billion for direct medical care for adults. More than $156 billion in lost productivity, including $5.6 billion in lost productivity due to secondhand smoke exposure.
May 25, 2021

The author of this thread is stupid. Not ignorant, but stupid to his core.

I doubt that. The NY government is very greedy with their tax money.

Further, the idea of actually purging a social ill from society was tried with the 18th Amendment adventure of the 1920's. Didn't work.

Many people like to smoke cigarettes just like many like to drink alcohol, smoke pot and crack or shoot smack.
Nobody is banning smoking….just making it socially and economically uncomfortable

It is working

What happened to the Biden lie that taxes would not go up on people earning under $400k?

The Democrats' $3.5 trillion budget proposal relies on a $100 billion tax hike that disproportionately targets the poor, lines the pockets of organized crime, and increases inequality.

The plan doubles the federal tax on cigarettes, which would break President Joe Biden's promise to raise taxes only on those earning more than $400,000. Households with an income of $35,000 or less smoke at three times the rate of households with incomes of more than $100,000. Richard Marianos, a 27-year veteran of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives who worked on gang violence, said a tobacco tax increase will punish vulnerable communities.

You don't think discouraging tobacco use is a good thing?

Never understood that hate for smoking. Ok I get no smoking on planes, restaraunts, work places and such. But if someone wants to smoke and they enjoy it then who cares? No one wants to super tax and ban junk food or alcohol and both are bad for you. Lots of stuff is bad for you. And vaping seems to be just fine for some reason and I can't imagine vaporizing 100% chemicals and breathing it is better than smoking.

Quit smoking and save yourself some money.

Don't drink soft drinks or anything except water, don't go to the movies, don't go out to eat, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke weed, don't buy any name brand clothing, no snack foods, or buy anything you enjoy doing that isn't strictly essential to life and save money.

Never understood that hate for smoking. Ok I get no smoking on planes, restaraunts, work places and such. But if someone wants to smoke and they enjoy it then who cares? No one wants to super tax and ban junk food or alcohol and both are bad for you. Lots of stuff is bad for you. And vaping seems to be just fine for some reason and I can't imagine vaporizing 100% chemicals and breathing it is better than smoking.

Don't drink soft drinks or anything except water, don't go to the movies, don't go out to eat, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke weed, don't buy any name brand clothing, no snack foods, or buy anything you enjoy doing that isn't strictly essential to life and save money.
Let's tax government and politicians at a higher rate--they're not good for the populace.

Never understood that hate for smoking. Ok I get no smoking on planes, restaraunts, work places and such. But if someone wants to smoke and they enjoy it then who cares?
It stinks, it is dangerous to those who smoke and those around him, it causes early death and a burden on our healthcare system.

Biden and the dems are lying about who will get hit with tax increases in his bill...alcohol smokes cigars gas taxes will go up and the most disgusting tax increases will hit small business even businesses that have struggled since the China virus shut downs....tax cuts that Trump put in place are gone...so this year bill or no bill taxes are going up....

Biden and the dems are lying about who will get hit with tax increases in his bill...alcohol smokes cigars gas taxes will go up and the most disgusting tax increases will hit small business even businesses that have struggled since the China virus shut downs....tax cuts that Trump put in place are gone...so this year bill or no bill taxes are going up....

Fckn demoquacks would tax air if they could

Forum List

Back