Biden admin under fire after defense chief’s stay in hospital ICU kept hidden — even from White House

It is not "A" general, it is the Secretary of Defense.
The president is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, and for the usual brain-dead partisan suspects to think it's no big deal that he does not know his direct report is out of commission is troubling, to say the least.

It is a nothing burger...

The hospital where he was is set up for high level staff and they have full contact with everyone... This is nothing more that moving his office to a hotel... I think we all did similar during COVID and this is far more communicable...

I don't get the real problem...
The problem is that the Commander in Chief was not aware that the Secretary of Defense was out of commission. Pretending that is not important is troubling, to say the least.

It is a nothing burger...

The hospital where he was is set up for high level staff and they have full contact with everyone... This is nothing more that moving his office to a hotel... I think we all did similar during COVID and this is far more communicable...

I don't get the real problem...
I hate to tell you but when you are in surgery and in ICU, you are basically incommunicado. Been there, done that!

The president is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, and for the usual brain-dead partisan suspects to think it's no big deal that he does not know his direct report is out of commission is troubling, to say the least.
It would be like the Captain of the Navy ship does not know the Combat Systems Officer is not aboard when they are at sea in wartime.

I hate to tell you but when you are in surgery and in ICU, you are basically incommunicado. Been there, done that!
That's why it's a big deal when the president is in the hospital. The VP, for all intents and purposes, becomes POTUS. Yes, that means that Pence was acting President while TRUMP! was hospitalized for COVID. If no one could have found Pence, there would have been a problem. In this case, he owed the chain of command communication that he was going to be out of reach and made arrangements for his absence to be covered.

It would be like the Captain of the Navy ship does not know the Combat Systems Officer is not aboard when they are at sea in wartime.
Exactly. If Quid Pro Joe had an emergency need to pass orders down the chain of command and this guy was out of pocket, delays and confusion could have gotten Americans killed, especially if he pops up after a while not knowing what's going on.

That's why it's a big deal when the president is in the hospital. The VP, for all intents and purposes, becomes POTUS. Yes, that means that Pence was acting President while TRUMP! was hospitalized for COVID. If no one could have found Pence, there would have been a problem. In this case, he owed the chain of command communication that he was going to be out of reach and made arrangements for his absence to be covered.
Not true. Only when unconscious for surgery. Power has been transferred several times when Presidents have been under anesthesia. Cheney was acting twice for G.W. Bush, and G.W.H. Bush was for Reagan when he had surgery, but not when he was shot. That led to the current policy to transfer power. When Trump had COVID, no transfer was needed, but Pence was in standby.

Not true. Only when unconscious for surgery. Power has been transferred several times when Presidents have been under anesthesia. Cheney was acting twice for G.W. Bush, and G.W.H. Bush was for Reagan when he had surgery, but not when he was shot. That led to the current policy to transfer power. When Trump had COVID, no transfer was needed, but Pence was in standby.
True enough, but in that case, the communication was clear, and Pence was standing by in case the president was incapacitated.

Forum List

Back