Bible Translations

TrinityPower

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2012
Fantasy island
Which translation do you prefer. Here is a diagram showing some differences.
types-of-bible-translations.jpg

I like and use different versions for different things. If wanting a 'as accurate in English and I can get' like the literal translations. If wanting to just check something I usually use whatever a site's default is (BibleGateway's is NIV usually.)

If looking something up in the OT portion I'll use an actual Torah most of the time. Biblehub's good for NT portion. Used to use Gateway but they're recently forbidded cut n pasting from their works. Copyright protection apparently. Odd that... :)

Pretty nice graph, should be in every Christian book store. I tossed all mine out when I grew a brain but mostly used the NASB. I have many versions so checked with other versions on difficult or important passages. I think the NIV was probably the easiest reading one.

I sorta like this Awkward Moments Children's Bible, which points out the real reason Ado, Lot's wife, preferred being turned into a pillar of salt verses being married to Lot. I also like the story of how Noah turned out to be a drunk, embarrassing his son who had to cover him up while he laid around naked. :)

61wJkb19F4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Still trying to find an online Eithiopian Orthodox Canon, have an index, but not the contents. EO is the most original version supposedly. Unaffected by various European church scizms and Catholic-Protestant split n such.

I have 3 (hubby has more). Mine are

English Standard Version (my newest Bible)
KJV (I have a few of these)
New American Standard

So I guess I lean more toward the word-for-word versions....

Word for word, literal translations is often mistaken for more credible but it's more complicated.

"The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic. The New Testament was written in Greek. When translating from those languages into English, different styles of translation can be used. Some Bible translators attempt to produce as literal a translation as possible. Others try to carry the meaning from the original into English. However, because the original languages are so different from English, a direct translation sometimes sounds a bit "wooden" and not as smooth as native English might sound. Also, certain phrases in the original language just don’t make sense in the English, so an equivalent phrase is used to carry the meaning. "
Which Bible version is the best?

Excellent point. Yet we aturally assume if words are considerably differnet we're loosing something from the original and yet may have the actual meaning nonetheless.

Word for word German into English would be rough, let alone contemporary English from Greek or Hebrew. Of course that's why the bible went through all the transformations, interpreting what was really meant for a target audience is a double edged sword.

No ideas what the fuck that graphic image is supposed to depict. But, if anyone wants an accurate translation of the "jewish" BULLSHIT and mythology fondly called the Bible, get all the books by William Harwood, Ph.D. The Koran is obviously another piece of literary insanity and faggotry, but the Bible, once you understand it is Satanic, if there ever was such a thing as Satan! :p

Just got a ESV Heritage Bible in single column format that I really enjoy. Probably my favorite is The Jerusalem Bible. Don't see it on the chart, but the New Jerusalem Bible is right in the middle.

Last edited:
King James for the poetic style. I've got a couple of those that once belonged to grandparents.

NASB for reference and all the good notes at the bottom of the page. Bought that in San Diego at an old mission. That was a fun and romantic trip so it has nostalgic value to me.

Then I've got a large Bible Atlas and a nice, though beaten up, Bible Encyclopedia. Got both of those at used book stores.

I'm kind of a religious eclectic rather than what would be considered a Christian, but those are books I enjoy over and over again.

I don't see the Geneva Bible in the list of choices. If it was good enough for Shakespeare, it's good enough for me.

Forum List

Back