Best Years of my Life

1950-1960

People were polite and considerate to other people. You could call someone on the phone and they would answer. You could call a business and talk to a person. People didn't walk out in front of your car, forcing you to stop for them. Gasoline attendants not only filled your tank for you, they also checked your oil and cleaned your windshield.

We had music you could be familiar with - songs everyone knew. We had movie stars everyone knew. We had newspapers that were delivered to your door every morning; comics you were familiar with and read on a daily basis. I could tell you every member of the USC and UCLA football teams and, of course, their coaches. (Today, I have no idea who coaches either team nor can I name any player on either team.)

You could walk into any civic building and not have to have a body cavity search first. The stores stayed open until 9:00 p.m. every Friday night. You could take your girl to a drive-in movie. We went on hayrides in the fall and grunion hunts in the summer.

In the 1960's, everything started to go to hell. Music died. Everyone was taking drugs. The Vietnam war. No one got married - they just shacked up.

Humbug!

No, I am not 80 years old.

Forum List

Back