Best Overall State for Retiring

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
No, it's not California.

The Best States to Retire in 2022​

A comfortable retirement is a lifelong goal common to people of almost any age, in any profession, and from every state.

But that isn’t to say retirement has equal value across state lines. Taxes, cost of living, and even climate give certain states an upper hand when it comes to retirement; the same income and investments can have much different values in different parts of the country. Today, we’re ranking the top states that can be ideal for retirement.

Before making any plans, we recommend speaking with a financial advisor, who can help you find the state that makes the most sense for your financial situation. Our free quiz can match you with up to three fiduciary advisors in just a few minutes, each obligated to work in your best interest.

The value of working with a financial advisor varies by person and advisors are legally prohibited from promising returns. However, research suggests people who work with a financial advisor feel more at ease about their finances and could end up with about 15% more money to spend in retirement.

HA!!! Washington state has 6.5% sales tax??? I don't think there is a county or town that doesn't charge atleast 8.5. Most populated areas are 10+%

Interesting mix of states...I would not mind Maine or Vermont but the wife does not want to go that far north. Will probably end up in the Carolinas if we do not do the Expat thing

1657723231991.png

Most expensive to retire in, pretty much what you would expect. New York, California, yada yada always blue states.

The Most Expensive States to Retire in​

Updated February 18, 2022​

More than half of all Americans—58%—feel like they are not on track for retirement, according to a study from the National Institute on Retirement Security. A recent survey from the U.S. Government Accountability Office shows that 29% of Americans over age 55 have no retirement savings, either in the form of individual retirement plans, employer-sponsored 401(k)s, or defined benefit plans.1 These and a host of studies and surveys support what many Americans already know: The majority of us are financially unprepared for retirement.

Many people who don’t have the money to retire at home may look for alternatives. Some people might consider moving abroad where there is a lower cost of living and access to affordable healthcare.

Interesting mix of states...I would not mind Maine or Vermont but the wife does not want to go that far north. Will probably end up in the Carolinas if we do not do the Expat thing

View attachment 669752

You got the right idea, if you're looking at N.C., then all those areas around Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham/Chapel Hill) are crazy expensive, except for Durham, which is fairly ghetto, and I have a friend in Carrboro who cannot even begin to think of buying there as home prices around that area are insane.

Most expensive to retire in, pretty much what you would expect. New York, California, yada yada always blue states.

The Most Expensive States to Retire in​

Updated February 18, 2022​

There is a reason blue states are expensive: People like living there.

Red states? Well, they are inexpensive for a reason.

It depends on how badly you want to keep your money.

For some that is less a concern for others. We will not base our final choice based only upon taxes and etc. There are a lot of other factors to take into account.

Do they?

California's seeing a pretty substantial exodus right now, and a lot of folks seem to be moving to red states...
No one can afford to live there, plus they have this little thing called 'fire season', which lasts all year long.

Red states are great to retire to, as long as you made your money in blue states. Plus, your Social Security will be higher.

There is a reason blue states are expensive: People like living there.
That is a joke, right?

Here in Florida we are flooded with people escaping from Blue states. New York is number one on that list. They don't come here just for the weather. They come here to get away from disastrous Democrat polices, corruption, oppression and taxation.

Over a thousand middle class people leave Commie California every day. They are replaced by Illegals and other welfare queens.

No one can afford to live there, plus they have this little thing called 'fire season', which lasts all year long.

Red states are great to retire to, as long as you made your money in blue states. Plus, your Social Security will be higher.

I've made a lot of money in California, but I've made far more in Florida.

Colorado is one of the places I'm looking to retire. It seems to go back and forth between red and blue. Ohio and West Virginia are two other places which have made the short list.

I'd never move back to California or New York...

That is a joke, right?

Here in Florida we are flooded with people escaping from Blue states. New York is number one on that list. They don't come here just for the weather. They come here to get away from disastrous Democrat polices, corruption, oppression and taxation.

Over a thousand middle class people leave Commie California every day. They are replaced by Illegals and other welfare queens.

HA!!! Washington state has 6.5% sales tax??? I don't think there is a county or town that doesn't charge atleast 8.5. Most populated areas are 10+%
The solution is to live in Vancouver WA and shop across the river in Portland OR.

Forum List

Back