Best Overall State for Retiring

An Island some place, preferably.

I suppose it'd be totally dependent upon how one wants to live out the rest of their days, though.

The trick is getting your wealth out of the country unmolestered.

The Wife and I have discussed the benefits of retiring in Florida.
While it is really hot in the summer the winters are mild just like Texas so thats not really an issue.
There's great fishing saltwater and fresh. Low taxes and reasonable gun laws.
But the main reason would be the boating opportunities,you have the Keys,the Dry Tortugas,Bimini and the Bahamas all within boating range.
You can buy a decent boat for $150K with all of the amenities like A/C and a water maker.
Just the thought of being able to jump in the boat and head to the Bahamas is very enticing. Not too mention all of those islands you can hit for food and fuel makes it possible to make a long trip out of it.

Sounds awesome and we have family in Florida. The thing about Florida for me personally is winter is my favorite season and I couldn't exist without snow.

Sounds awesome and we have family in Florida. The thing about Florida for me personally is winter is my favorite season and I couldn't exist without snow.

I'm just the opposite.
If I wanna see snow I'll jump on a plane.
I love the idea of having a major vacation destination a few hours away by boat and you set the itinerary.
You can hit the bigger islands that have more amenities or hit the deserted islands for privacy.
And there's outstanding fishing,lobstering,conch,snorkeling and scuba everywhere.

If anything happens to Mrs Clean, I’ll probably end up going to Florida. Maybe one of those Jimmy Buffet Latitude Margaritaville places.

The solution is to live in Vancouver WA and shop across the river in Portland OR.

No.......better solution is to send all them damn Californians back to where they came from.....who had been migrating here for years. Dirty bastids turned us into a shithole

Florida is a nice place. But it's hot and humid alot. I like the 4 seasons and winter the older I get. I'd never let taxes or politics decide where to live. I live where I want to live as should others. The pitics of the state are not even an afterthought.

Florida is a nice place. But it's hot and humid alot. I like the 4 seasons and winter the older I get. I'd never let taxes or politics decide where to live. I live where I want to live as should others. The pitics of the state are not even an afterthought.

The politics of a state can have a direct impact on the quality of life in that state.
While California is a beautiful state I'd never move there.

Forum List

Back