Best Overall State for Retiring

He is right.

Nowadays we are seeing a lot of California license plates from people moving in. I doubt if you go to California you would see any Florida plates unless it was a military transfer or something like that.

Somebody would have to be an idiot (or an Illegal or welfare queen) to move into California.

True, but I wouldn't want to end up in a northern state, especially a blue one.

I would not mind a northern state, do not care if it is red or blue, that will play ZERO role in the decision.

The only down fall of a northern state is the cold winters and if one is not working and does not have to get out and drive during the middle of a snowstorm they are not even that bad.

We are thinking about going to Maine next fall for vacation so we can see what we think of it. We have about 10 years till I retire and maybe a bit longer for her.

My son is pushing for us to move to the upper peninsula of Michigan

I would not mind a northern state, do not care if it is red or blue, that will play ZERO role in the decision.

The only down fall of a northern state is the cold winters and if one is not working and does not have to get out and drive during the middle of a snowstorm they are not even that bad.

We are thinking about going to Maine next fall for vacation so we can see what we think of it. We have about 10 years till I retire and maybe a bit longer for her.

We discovered a slew of relatives in Maine; half brothers on my Mom's side. Her father divorced my grandmother back in 1940. My grandmother remarried my grandfather (the wisest man I've ever known) and my Mom's biological father started an entirely new family. They found us through one of those geneology sites. Mom's turning 898 next month, so we're going to try to get up there soon. There are just too many on that side of the family for them all to travel, and Mom wants to meet them all.

I don't think I'd mind Maine. I don't mind cold winters. Between living in California and Florida, I've come to miss having four seasons...

To me, the northern state winters are bad enough, but also being blue is just rubbing salt in the wound.
Here in western Oregon, most years it's gray and cloudy with on and off rain 8-9 months of the year. It also is very blue and now one of the most expensive to live in, so for me it's a no-brainer, I'm getting out as soon as I can.

Would you seriously want to retire to Alaska at 70 years old? Due to transportation costs everything costs more in Alaska. You probably don't want to chop your own wood at 70 so be prepared to shell out your savings to stay warm especially while Biden is president.

Would you seriously want to retire to Alaska at 70 years old? Due to transportation costs everything costs more in Alaska. You probably don't want to chop your own wood at 70 so be prepared to shell out your savings to stay warm especially while Biden is president.

Alaska is one of the last places on earth I would want to live in.

I've made a lot of money in California, but I've made far more in Florida.

Colorado is one of the places I'm looking to retire. It seems to go back and forth between red and blue. Ohio and West Virginia are two other places which have made the short list.

I'd never move back to California or New York...
If you want to retire in Colorado, I hope you made A LOT of money.
I lived in Ft. Collins as a college student 40 years ago and the little 2 bedroom bungalow we rented recently sold for well over $400K.

If you want to retire in Colorado, I hope you made A LOT of money.
I lived in Ft. Collins as a college student 40 years ago and the little 2 bedroom bungalow we rented recently sold for well over $400K.

Oh, I'm doin' pretty good...

That is a joke, right?

Here in Florida we are flooded with people escaping from Blue states. New York is number one on that list. They don't come here just for the weather. They come here to get away from disastrous Democrat polices, corruption, oppression and taxation.

Over a thousand middle class people leave Commie California every day. They are replaced by Illegals and other welfare queens.
But then they have to put up with the likes of you

If you're retired, Florida is #1 overall as you would expect.

The Wife and I have discussed the benefits of retiring in Florida.
While it is really hot in the summer the winters are mild just like Texas so thats not really an issue.
There's great fishing saltwater and fresh. Low taxes and reasonable gun laws.
But the main reason would be the boating opportunities,you have the Keys,the Dry Tortugas,Bimini and the Bahamas all within boating range.
You can buy a decent boat for $150K with all of the amenities like A/C and a water maker.
Just the thought of being able to jump in the boat and head to the Bahamas is very enticing. Not too mention all of those islands you can hit for food and fuel makes it possible to make a long trip out of it.

Doesn’t it really depend on what you want to do in retirement?

This.

We chose Pennsylvania because large plots of land in certain mountainous regions were relatively inexpensive, remote, and within a couple hours drive of family and in-laws. Perhaps someday we'll go farther afield but for the time being PA suits our wants and needs.

Forum List

Back