Beer is slipping. Here's what Americans are drinking instead

Beer is dying. Here's what Americans are drinking instead - CNN

Domestic brews, such as Budweiser, Coors Light and Miller Light, once dominated the US beverage market. But sales are declining while alternatives are spiking. Drinkers think beer is stale, compared to the innovative new brands and creative concepts emerging from other places, so they are craving a variety of other boozy drinks, including premium liquor, canned wine, spiked seltzers and pre-made bottled cocktails.

What is wrong with you people? WTF is a spiked seltzer? Im reading this and sensing a lot of opportunities in small companies that make girlie drinks that fit in her handbag.

Canned wine? Really Tommy? :alcoholic::shok:

Domestic brews, such as Budweiser, Coors Light and Miller Light, once dominated the US beverage market. But sales are declining while alternatives are spiking. Drinkers think beer is stale, compared to the innovative new brands and creative concepts emerging from other places, so they are craving a variety of other boozy drinks, including premium liquor, canned wine, spiked seltzers and pre-made bottled cocktails.

What is wrong with you people? WTF is a spiked seltzer? Im reading this and sensing a lot of opportunities in small companies that make girlie drinks that fit in her handbag.

Canned wine? Really Tommy? :alcoholic::shok:
They are all the rage round here. The girls buy a few for the taxi trip into town. Never seen a bloke drink one. Must be an American thing.

Clearly you have never drunk a American domestic beer. The craft breweries are finally starting to make a name for themselves and they are far superior to anything made by the big brewers. As far as the girly drinks, you no doubt have far more experience with those, tainty, I am a man who drinks single malt. I have no idea what wimps like you partake of.

Yeah, well, I recently bought a case of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and was disappointed to find it was 46% more expensive now than the last time I bought it just three years ago. That makes it now about twice as expensive as bourbon, drink for drink, and about triple the cost of brandy. It's only beer.
/——/ To each his own, but I think guys who drink cherry wheat beer just don’t like beer so they have to dress it up. I prefer a hoppy IPA and Guinness from the tap.

Technically Budweiser is a european company now. Microbrewing is profitable if you are the point of sale. Not if you are sitting in the grocery store case.
/—-/ My Buddy was born in County Cork, Ireland. He moved to NY in the 1970s when he was 20. He grew up drinking fine Irish whiskey and the local brews like Guinness. But guess what he drinks here? Budweiser, even when we take the wives to an authentic Irish Pub. Go figure.

Clearly you have never drunk a American domestic beer. The craft breweries are finally starting to make a name for themselves and they are far superior to anything made by the big brewers. As far as the girly drinks, you no doubt have far more experience with those, tainty, I am a man who drinks single malt. I have no idea what wimps like you partake of.

Yeah, well, I recently bought a case of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and was disappointed to find it was 46% more expensive now than the last time I bought it just three years ago. That makes it now about twice as expensive as bourbon, drink for drink, and about triple the cost of brandy. It's only beer.
/——/ To each his own, but I think guys who drink cherry wheat beer just don’t like beer so they have to dress it up. I prefer a hoppy IPA and Guinness from the tap.
I love Guinness. I don't have a tap. I also love meat loaf, hamburger and hot dogs, but that doesn't mean I want to eat them all the time and not taste something different.

Being a Wisconsin native, my wife likes those sheeshy weird-flavored craft beers, that everybody seems to be making in a washtub in their bathroom.

I don't. Grapefruit, cranberry, and watermelon flavored beer is just nasty. Give me my Bud, Miller, Hamm's, Lone Star, or Schlitz any day. Or if I feel fancy, Tecate, or another one of those meskin beers.
Bud, Miller, etc. are good for washing your hands......that's about it.

I do not know but I do enjoy an ice cold Coors during the summer from time to time...

Technically Budweiser is a european company now. Microbrewing is profitable if you are the point of sale. Not if you are sitting in the grocery store case.
/—-/ My Buddy was born in County Cork, Ireland. He moved to NY in the 1970s when he was 20. He grew up drinking fine Irish whiskey and the local brews like Guinness. But guess what he drinks here? Budweiser, even when we take the wives to an authentic Irish Pub. Go figure.

Not a fan of Guinness. I prefer Foster's in a can.

I never cared for Budweiser; I thought it had a weird taste. When I drank beer years ago, I preferred Moose Head, a good Canadian beer, although I live in the U.S. In my old age, I've switched to a Rob Roy, straight up.

Most craft beers are every bit as nasty as Bud light

Friends occasionally feed me some high-content brews that are quite good. Couldn't tell ya what they are though.

When I was skiing in New Zealand years ago, some Australian fellows at the bar suggested Elephant Beer. They said it was good and strong. It sure was strong. Never saw it anywhere else.

Blue Moon, draft with an orange slice is fucking great. The hangover from 15 of em’... Not so much...

A good whiskey and coke.
Long Island teas are my favorite.
Patron straight up.
A good Vanilla Porter.
My latest favorite is a few bumps of Fireball. Candy cinnamon booze, best invention ever.

I never cared for Budweiser; I thought it had a weird taste. When I drank beer years ago, I preferred Moose Head, a good Canadian beer, although I live in the U.S. In my old age, I've switched to a Rob Roy, straight up.
Bud Copper Lager,,,check it out. Went to get together...whatever everyone else was drinking they put down and drank all mine after they tried it.

I don't drink much, but when I do its usually a craft brew, IPA, Pilsener or Stout, and sometime Polish beers like Zyweic, or Lech, or German beers like Bitburger, or Warsteiner,
but
also sometimes Mead (Honey wine)
or Krupnik a Polish - Lithuanian Honey liquor, or even Cherrywine.

Although at one time I drank Vodka, and Spirytus that gets you plastered.

As for price, PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and Genesee, are good bar / tavern / pub picks, because they're cheap.

A 51-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly spiking his date’s drink as she used a restaurant bathroom.
Tariq Nawaz, 51, dined with an unnamed woman at the eatery in Mississauga, Ont., on October 21, Peel Regional Police said.
After the woman left to go to the bathroom, police allege a waitress saw Nawaz spike her drink.

Yeah, I'd flee the fuck out of that town too, if I were that guy. Hope I didn't get a DUI 10 miles down the highway.

Small town cops better be drinking the same poison when they talk shit about a flirty waitress date-rape drink-spiking some dude out of town on a sports car like that.

Personalized plates? Probably his car, he paid a lot of money for it, wants to be sober on the way out of town.

Last edited:

Hmmm I thought it was blue koolaid.

I usually eschew craft beers but I like that one, although I haven't had one in about 20 years.

This is the sort of crap they are drinking in the UK these days - Gin with edible gold leaf floating in it. Presumably to make it more "happening" for younger drinkers. Its enough to drive you to drink.
1605358594322.png

Forum List

Back