‘Be very scared’: Remote work could cost Americans their jobs within decade

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Remote work may be a blessing for Americans who enjoy not having to commute to the office, but experts are warning that workers should be careful what they wish for because companies could easily hire someone overseas to do the same job for much less money.

High-paid tech workers could find themselves out of a job within a decade if companies continue to outsource those positions overseas, the experts said.

"If people that code for Google and Facebook were able to live wherever in the US they wanted and [work] for a year and a half without ever going to the office, it seems very, very likely that a lot of companies will be rethinking this longer-term and outsourcing those kinds of jobs that didn't used to be outsourced," MIT assistant professor Anna Stansbury told Fortune.

Stansbury said that back-end engineers and others could be found for less money in places like India. Other experts agree.
"If you can do your job from home, be scared. Be very scared," Richard Baldwin, an economics professor at the Graduate Institute in Geneva, told the European-based Center for Economic Policy Research.

mOAR

LOL.....In before the "well, not my job, but I could see it happening to others" bunch. ;)

Oh, and wait till they figure out AI can do 90% of those jobs.

but experts are warning that workers should be careful what they wish for because companies could easily hire someone overseas to do the same job for much less money.

“My father worked for the same firm for 12 years. They fired him and replaced him with a tiny gadget that does everything my father does, only much better. The depressing thing is my mother ran out and bought one.”​

Woody Allen

Forum List

Back