Assisted Suicide rate in Canada is 4.45 times the gun suicide rate in the U.S....but......guns?

Yeah, people dying with dignity is a problem.

You are obviously unaware of how the Canadian physician assisted death law has gone off the rails in the last year or two...

Listen, having watched my father wither away in pain form cancer, and having contemplated expediting his transition by my own hand, I am 100% behind a person's right to a dignified death and their right to choose when, when their end is beyond doubt. But the criteria now being accepted by the Canadian government is in some cases appalling.

You fail to understand the purpose of this thread....

Anti-gun extremists tell us that if we banned guns, it would be harder for people to commit suicide.......they then go on to ignore all of the countries where the people commit suicide in vastly higher numbers than we commit suicide in this country, pointing out that guns are not the issue in suicide......
That's nonsense.

Suicide is only one of many negative outcomes of guns in the home.

Death is inevitable....people seeking assisted suicide don't go through it in isolation. There's an entire process that goes with it.

Gun suicides are useful (and quite accurate) as a proxy for private gun ownership, in the absence of registration data. ownership

You are obviously unaware of how the Canadian physician assisted death law has gone off the rails in the last year or two...

Listen, having watched my father wither away in pain form cancer, and having contemplated expediting his transition by my own hand, I am 100% behind a person's right to a dignified death and their right to choose when, when their end is beyond doubt. But the criteria now being accepted by the Canadian government is in some cases appalling.
What makes them "appalling"?

That's nonsense.

Death is inevitable....people seeking assisted suicide don't go through it in isolation. There's an entire process that goes with it.

Gun suicides are useful (and quite accurate) as a proxy for private gun ownership, in the absence of registration data. ownership
So is having drugs, legal or illegal in the home whether intentional or accidental.

Yeah, people dying with dignity is a problem.
When people are terminally ill or facing the long decline of dementia dying with dignity applies.

But why doctors would assist a healthy person to commit suicide is the question.

If these people want to off themselves they have every right to do so but I do not think doctors or any medical professional should be compelled to assist in suicides of anyone who is not terminally ill.

Immediately jumping to an extreme position is discussion?
You may have misunderstood, or you may be trolling - I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

The issue with AS is that what begins as a right may soon become an obligation.

Get it?

I'd like to know what percentage of those are people with terminal illnesses.

I don't know why anyone has a problem with people who are suffering and in pain while waiting to die choosing to go out on their own terms.
The issue is a right becoming an expectation or obligation; something imposed from the outside.

When people are terminally ill or facing the long decline of dementia dying with dignity applies.

But why doctors would assist a healthy person to commit suicide is the question.

If these people want to off themselves they have every right to do so but I do not think doctors or any medical professional should be compelled to assist in suicides of anyone who is not terminally ill.
You raise two problems, one of which I've addressed. (When a right may become an expectation or obligation.)

The other is who has the right to make the choice for the individual.

It seems to me it should be the individual, based on criteria of their choosing, and making the choice without coercion in either direction, and with numerous other options offered.

The most civilized societies seem to realize this.

You raise two problems, one of which I've addressed. (When a right may become an expectation or obligation.)

The other is who has the right to make the choice for the individual.

It seems to me it should be the individual, based on criteria of their choosing, and making the choice without coercion in either direction, and with numerous other options offered.

The most civilized societies seem to realize this.

Who is forcing people to choose suicide?

Who is forcing people to choose suicide?
Did I say anyone was?

The problem is when a right *MAY* become and expectation or obligation, as I said.

Slippery slope; an easy, peasy Soylent Greensy *solution* to society's self-created problems...

Whenever the anti-gun extremists try to use numbers to tell us how dangerous guns are in the hands of people who do not use their guns for crime......they lie. They combine the gun suicide rate to the gun murder rate, because that is the only way to elevate the gun murder rate.....so they lie....

Then, when called out, and then called out on the fact that other countries have higher suicide rates than we do......they start blubbering......

Now we know that Canadians are allowing the government to kill them at higher rates than gun suicide in this country...

While there were about 3,839 suicides per year in Canada in 2020, there were 13,500 assisted suicides in Canada in 2022. With a population of about 38.25 million people, that implies an assisted suicide rate of 35.294 per 100,000 people. The total suicide rate is about 45.

The assisted suicide rate in Canada in 2022 is about 4.45 times the firearms suicide rate in the US in 2021 (the latest year for both numbers). Even if you take Canada’s assisted suicide rate in 2021, when the program was ramping up, there were 10,500 assisted suicides, for a rate of 27.5 per 100,000 people. That is 3.46 times the US firearm suicide rate.

When the statistics Canada data on suicides comes out for 2021 and 2022, it will be interesting to see if suicides in Canada decline as the assisted suicide rate increases.

Apparently, some of the people who are opting for assisted suicide are those who aren’t getting the medical care that they need in Canada.

But.....they tell us guns make suicide easier......

What they don't want to understand, government is again killing more people than guns do when it comes to suicide....

And on another topic.......

Assisted suicide in Canada is easier to get than their healthcare.........

TL;DR - Leftism kills more people than guns.

Did I say anyone was?

The problem is when a right *MAY* become and expectation or obligation, as I said.

Slippery slope; an easy, peasy Soylent Greensy *solution* to society's self-created problems...
But these are individuals exercising choice, made in concert with their medical provider.

But these are individuals
What individuals?

The hypothetical individuals of the future who may be faced not with a choice or a right, but an expectation or obligation?

Because that's what I'm talking about.

It's a core concern of those thoughtfully considering right to die issues.
exercising choice,
If you say so; maybe *they* are and maybe *they* aren't, but I'm talking about a future where this *right* is normalized to what might be a dangerous extent.
made in concert with their medical provider.
See above; hope you're clear now.

:)

What individuals?

The hypothetical individuals of the future who may be faced not with a choice or a right, but an expectation or obligation?

Because that's what I'm talking about.

It's a core concern of those thoughtfully considering right to die issues.

If you say so; maybe *they* are and maybe *they* aren't, but I'm talking about a future where this *right* is normalized to what might be a dangerous extent.

See above; hope you're clear now.

:)
Yea....thanks

Same old, same old.

"You cannot choose to die with dignity, because the gubmint will kill everyone."

Forum List

Back