As the rest of Europe lives under lockdown, Sweden keeps calm and carries on

Just in the moment I hear Donald Trump calls your people to do a civil war and to rebell against all limitations in case of Corona. U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-b-l-e, if it is true. But I'm not astonished any longer about anything, what this criminal idiot is doing. He knows not what responsibility is. And he knows not what federalism is.

Last edited:
Just in the moment I hear Donald Trump calls your people to do a civil war and to rebell against all limitations in case of Corona. U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-b-l-e, if it is true. But I'm not astonished any longer about anything, what this criminal idiot is doing. He knows not what responsibility is. And he knows not what federalism is.

This thread is about Sweden, asshole.

Get out.

While Sweden increases, in terms of deaths, it is strange that they have almost double the number of critical cases as reported by other countries.

My assumption is that it is hitting the vulnerable more heavily.

Norway and Denmark have as many cases as Sweden (population adjusted).

Sweden seems to have more serious cases.

This thread is about Sweden, asshole.

Get out.

And I thought it is about assholes, asshole.

Norway and Denmark have as many cases as Sweden (population adjusted). ...

If you had read, what I wrote, then you would know that Norway has much less dead people than Sweden. Norway 2.5 per 100k. Sweden 13 per 100k (data from yesterday). The factor is 1:5. Denmark has about 6 and Germany about 5.
If it would a be football game then
Norway wins 5:1 against Sweden
Germany wins 3:1 against Sweden
Denmark wins 2:1 against Sweden.

But it is not a game. Dead people are really dead.

And Sweden never had the "to do less than nothing"-system, which Trump (USA) and Johnson (UK) tried to install in their countries with an arrogant ignorance. Could be Boris Johnson is now cured from such stupidities - while Trump ... while Trump ... what for heavens sake to say about Donald Trump now any longer in this context? This man is far from anything what I could call "sane mind". His "liberate"-slogans help no one to fight together against Corona.

Last edited:

Very interesting.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

It's always good to see another take on the experiment.

I think Italy, France, Spain are in lockdown and their cases are going way way up.....If they turn soon...great.

We'll know something.

But unless Sweden gets really sick...we'll know something else.
fast forward three weeks after this thread was posted and cases in Sweden up from 3,700 to 13,800, deaths from 110 to 1,500 if you extrapolate for population in usa we can expect 2.5 million cases and 140,000 dead in 8 weeks, and that's at a pace of new daily cases even lower than current one after 1 month of stay home orders...

@SunDevil

Island says by the way that in no case they had a less than 10 years old child, who had infected anyone in Island. I don't know what this means exactly - whether this has to do with biology or a special system in Island. For sure it died children during this crisis now, who were much younger.

If you had read, what I wrote, then you would know that Norway has much less dead people than Sweden. Norway 2.5 per 100k. Sweden 13 per 100k (data from yesterday). The factor is 1:5. Denmark has about 6 and Germany about 5.

And Sweden never had the "to do less than nothing"-system, which Trump (USA) and Johnson (UK) tried to install in their countries with an arrogant ignorance. Could be Boris Johnson is now cured from such stupidities - while Trump ... while Trump ... what for heavens sake to say about Donald Trump now any longer in this context? This man is far from anything what I could call "sane mind". His "liberate"-slogans help no one to fight together against Corona.

Why don’t you start some spread sheets?

Why don’t you start some spread sheets?

I trust in the ability to think. Pictures lie. Statistics lie. And data are not so easy comparable. In England for example don't count people who die at home - and the situation in old people's home seems partially (or in total) very dramatic - but without effect in statistics. In Germany for example (we make an unbelievable amount of tests ) everyone dies on Corona, who was tested positive - even if died in a car accident for example. In Fiji they have no tests - or not enough tests. They start to diagnose Corona after someone has fever. And so on. And so on.

I do not have good data for the USA.
For German data I use the data from the Robert Koch Institute: RKI - Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 - COVID-19: Fallzahlen in Deutschland und weltweit
For the EU including GB: Situation update for the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 18 April 2020
For the world: WHO COVID-19 Dashboard

Very interesting.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

I think Italy, France, Spain are in lockdown and their cases are going way way up.....If they turn soon...great.

We'll know something.

fast forward three weeks after this thread was posted and cases in Sweden up from 3,700 to 13,800, deaths from 110 to 1,500 if you extrapolate for population in usa we can expect 2.5 million cases and 140,000 dead in 8 weeks, and that's at a pace of new daily cases even lower than current one after 1 month of stay home orders...

Probably not the case.

Sweden has steadied out.

As has already been stated, the Swedes are saying their rapid increase is from old folks homes.

This is what I could find:

“They [the home] opened up for Skype calls and that’s when I saw two employees. I didn’t see any masks and they didn’t have gloves on,” says Bondesson, a start-up founder and app developer.

“When I called again a few days later I questioned the person helping out, asking why they didn’t use face masks, and he said they were just following the guidelines.”

That seems irresponsible to me.

The question about the data should then be the impact of those deaths.

If they are significant (the article says hundreds), then Sweden's numbers are tainted and should be reviewed.

So far, it does not seem like....overall....they are undergoing any kind massive climb in cases.

A trendline through the data from the start wold show a climb, but it would not be the kind of acceleraton we've seen in other places.

A trendline for the past 20 days would be very slightly sloped upward.

1587304042329.png

@SunDevil

Island says by the way that in no case they had a less than 10 years old child, who had infected anyone in Island. I don't know what this means exactly - whether this has to do with biology or a special system in Island. For sure it died children during this crisis now, who were much younger.

Thank you.

A link would be good to have.

But that is very interesting information.

You are correct that Sweden didn't go business as usual without some precautions.

Sweden reporting 29 deaths so far today.

First of all: nothing what Sweden is doing is really comparable with the stupid ideas in context "Corona" of Trump, Johnson, Bolzenaro, Orban, Erdogan or other extreme nationalists and/or autocrats.

In case of Sweden some little differences come because of another concept of the leading virologist of Sweden and because of a totally different tradition of the people in Sweden. Swedes trust in their government - what other nations are not able to do in a similar way. Swedes don't let their longship sink and "brotherhood" or "solidarity" are in Sweden more a kind of natural force. A Swede - I guess all other Scandinavians as well - takes "automatically" care for others, without to threaten anyones freedom.

And Swedes report not 29 but 1511 people, who died because of Corona. If you caculate "* 33" then this will give for the USA an equivalent number. Today (data from yesterday) this number is "49,863" - and this could be the # of dead US-Americans, if you would be able to be like Swedes. You seem to be better in the moment (But not to forget: Sweden fights longer and all real numbers are also always higher than the reported numbers. It exist always unknowns.) Nevertheless: Today Johns Hopkins University reports about 35,000 (and not about 50,000) dead US-Americans in the moment. That's a factor of 0.7, what's very good. But is this a reason to be proud? I fear you will pass Sweden, because of the much higher inertia moment of the big USA compared with little Sweden.

Last edited:

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

What a load of bullshit.

Sweden is taking a hit today. 185 deaths.

They were at 29 and 45 the two days before.

New cases are on a slight incline.

Norway has as many cases as Sweden on a population adjusted basis.

Norway has no where near the deaths of Sweden.

Maybe you should be looking at more than the virus.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

First of all: nothing what Sweden is doing is really comparable with the stupid ideas in context "Corona" of Trump, Johnson, Bolzenaro, Orban, Erdogan or other extreme nationalists and/or autocrats.

In case of Sweden some little differences come because of another concept of the leading virologist of Sweden and because of a totally different tradition of the people in Sweden. Swedes trust in their government - what other nations are not able to do in a similar way. Swedes don't let their longship sink and "brotherhood" or "solidarity" are in Sweden more a kind of natural force. A Swede - I guess all other Scandinavians as well - takes "automatically" care for others, without to threaten anyones freedom.

And Swedes report not 29 but 1511 people, who died because of Corona. If you caculate "* 33" then this will give for the USA an equivalent number. Today (data from yesterday) this number is "49,863" - and this could be the # of dead US-Americans, if you would be able to be like Swedes. You seem to be better in the moment (But not to forget: Sweden fights longer and all real numbers are also always higher than the reported numbers. It exist always unknowns.) Nevertheless: Today Johns Hopkins University reports about 35,000 (and not about 50,000) dead US-Americans in the moment. That's a factor of 0.7, what's very good. But is this a reason to be proud? I fear you will pass Sweden, because of the much higher inertia moment of the big USA compared with little Sweden.

29 for the day.

Forum List

Back