As the rest of Europe lives under lockdown, Sweden keeps calm and carries on

Sweden has grown, relative to Norway and Finland in cases and death. Norway still has more cases on a population adjusted basis.

It's not terrible just updating.

Very interesting.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

It's always good to see another take on the experiment.

I think Italy, France, Spain are in lockdown and their cases are going way way up.....If they turn soon...great.

We'll know something.

But unless Sweden gets really sick...we'll know something else.

Sweden is run by a King, not by NWO bitches like Merkel, Putin, Erdogan, Macron & Co
Figurehead ruler, no European country has a monarchy where the king or queen gets heavily into politics.

Except apparently the Sovereign Prince of Monaco and Prince of Liechtenstein yield some power, but those are micro-states.

Very interesting.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

I think Italy, France, Spain are in lockdown and their cases are going way way up.....If they turn soon...great.

We'll know something.

Sweden is run by a King, not by NWO bitches like Merkel, Putin, Erdogan, Macron & Co

A "republican", who is for the rulership of nobles? NWO bitches? NWO? New world order? That's an US-American idea. And you call the French president and our chancellor a bitch and compare them with the autocrats Putin and Erdogan? .... Hmm ... No need to speak with you, ... nevertheless let me say in times of Corona: The Swedish people are doing what their government says to them. They are reacting with light speed in case they have to change something - while your president reacted a very long time like a sleeping pill in the Corona crisis. The way of Sweden is interesting - although it is not very different - and although Sweden has about twice as many death victims as Germany (calculated per inhabitant). But on the other side they could be indeed on a better way in a longer term - but it looks like they make not a lot of tests - and had to change today the data from 03/26 and another day. So I'm not sure, whether they really know what's going on in their own country. I hope everything is still okay in Sweden.

Last edited:
Sweden is starting separate from Norway and Finland in terms of age adjusted deaths.

Age adjusted cases are still higher for Norway. But the serious cases for Sweden are a higher percentage.

The mortality rate in Sweden is now one of the highest in the world.

The what? ... Hmm ... Moral is always this what costs nothing and is good for the amoral of and in the USA. What do you think is good for the amoral of the USA in the behavior of the current Swedish government?

4/11/2020 (I guess my data are today from 4/9-10/2020):

Sweden 870+x dead people
Norway 92+x dead people

Norway has about 50% of the number of inhabitants compared with Sweden.

Last edited:
The mortality rate in Sweden is now one of the highest in the world.

Given the ratio of deaths to population.....this number would be suspect.

It is also more dubious given the fact that their deaths are disproportionatly high due to a number of elderly care facilities getting infected.

Should America follow basically EVERYTHING that Sweden does OP?

Hopefully not ...

49bca1f843793dc7d57d29427b950b6e.jpg

You'll notice the left isn't taking this one on.

It contradicts the whole World War Z attitude they've taken.

Going to keep bumping it.

Sooner or later, the left will face the fact that someone is doing this right.

Only 12k plus infected but the amount dead among the infected is higher than the U.S....

Only 12k plus infected but the amount dead among the infected is higher than the U.S....

Yes.

And their reported serious cases are twice as many as other countries.

I suspect this is because of the issues with the virus in the old folks homes.

Yes.

And their reported serious cases are twice as many as other countries.

I suspect this is because of the issues with the virus in the old folks homes.

It could be but the reality is their percentage of deaths from those infected is high.

We will only know at the end which way was better.

I do believe we overreacted but that ship has sailed and now we must focus on the mistakes and not to repeat them...

From the Vanity Fair Article:

With these premises in mind, Sweden has pumped the brakes instead of slamming on them. You close school for older kids, but you keep grade school going, because evidence so far suggests that younger children are not a major cause of transmission for the novel coronavirus. (The opposite is true of influenza: Kids are the big spreaders.) You prohibit standing room and shoulder-to-shoulder seating in popular bars and restaurants, but you allow them to keep operating with greater space between tables and customers. You encourage people to keep a physical distance among one another, but you don’t command it.

Of course, whether or not Sweden's approach proves to be a valid alternative we can only finally be determined once we're through this, and epidemiological studies look back and make sense of the available data. Still, as it stands now, and despite not overly aggressive testing, Sweden's infection count growth (over the last four days) is a percentage point higher than Europe's: 4.5% compared to 3.5%.

Also of note, Sweden up to now suffered about 13.8 deaths per 100k population, compared to 10.4 per 100k in Europe.

It remains to be seen whether or not the more lenient approach will overwhelm the Swedish healthcare system, which seems to be bursting at the seams right now. Overall, it doesn't look all that good, I fear, and they may very well pay a high price for keeping the economy largely going.

From the Vanity Fair Article:

With these premises in mind, Sweden has pumped the brakes instead of slamming on them. You close school for older kids, but you keep grade school going, because evidence so far suggests that younger children are not a major cause of transmission for the novel coronavirus. (The opposite is true of influenza: Kids are the big spreaders.)

What is your source for the "knowlegde" that little children do not spread Corona-2? ¿Trump? How many children likes he to teach in a class? That's no risk for him - Corona loves him.

You prohibit standing room and shoulder-to-shoulder seating in popular bars and restaurants, but you allow them to keep operating with greater space between tables and customers. You encourage people to keep a physical distance among one another, but you don’t command it.

Did you ever try to drink a beer with a mask and drinking straw, while you eat a burger? As far as I know tourism and restaurants - as desperating this is for many businessmen in this branches and their co-workers - is still an unsolved problem in context Corona. Not only the distance - also the time is a problem in case of the danger of an infection. And what means "not to command it"? To do nothing? To be counterproductive?

Sweden has by the way 13 death cases per 100,000 inhabitants. Norway 2-3 death cases. The United Kingdom 21 death cases. And in the UK no one registers people, who are dying at home or dying in retirement homes, where the situation seems to be partially dramatic. I heard a Brit says he prefers to go into the war in Iraq war again, instead to have to work in a senior residence now.

By the way "open borders" or "closed borders". Around Germany (~5 dead pers. per 100k) all borders are "closed" (limited access) - with the exceptions Netherlands (~20 dead pers. per 100k) and Belgium (~43 dead pers. per 100k). The 5 times to 9 times higher death rates in the Netherlands and Belgium seems in this case to be without consequences for Germany, as far as I am able to see in the moment. The greatest problems in Germany are in the South.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: xyz

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

Interesting point: Individuals have to take responsibility. You can’t legislate and ban everything. It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.

What is the point to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time? In our case, it may have forced us to spend over two trillion dollars we don't have and couldn't afford to spend, and all for a virus that may end up killing a lot of people anyway and will likely come back next year?

There is no evidence that anything we have done has had any impact at all on the natural course of the disease. I think Sweden's position is the only one that makes any sense.

Jo

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

Interesting point: Individuals have to take responsibility. You can’t legislate and ban everything. It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.

What is the point to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time? In our case, it may have forced us to spend over two trillion dollars we don't have and couldn't afford to spend, and all for a virus that may end up killing a lot of people anyway and will likely come back next year?

There is no evidence that anything we have done has had any impact at all on the natural course of the disease. I think Sweden's position is the only one that makes any sense.

Jo

Everyhting what we did was very successful in Germany. We start now patiently and in humility to search our way back into a new normality. In general: To go slowly step by step - and always to take a look what's the effect of every single step - is a good way to avoid to trigger a new avalanche, after we had stopped now the first one. In the moment we have 3000 new infections a day - what means our health care system is able to help everyone, who lives here. Even if someone has to die it's important to help everyone to be able to die in dignity. Specially never should be a fight for respirators. Who needs a bed with respirator should be able to get one in a clinic.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: xyz

Forum List

Back