Armed federal agents keeping us safe...

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
...from the threat of Amish farmers selling raw milk to people that want it.

Federal agents watched the home closely for a year, gathering evidence. Then, in a pre-dawn raid, armed members from three agencies swooped in.No, this is not a retelling of the lightning U.S. commando attack in Abbottabad, Pakistan, that killed terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. Rather, the target of the raid late last month by U.S. marshals, a state police trooper and inspectors from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was Amish farmer Dan Allgyer of Kinzers, Pa. His so-called “crime” involved nothing more than providing unpasteurized, or raw, dairy milk to eager consumers here in the Washington area.
The sting operation against Mr. Allgyer’s Rainbow Acres Farm has touched a nerve around the country and across the ideological divide. Mr. Allgyer’s customers - including a soccer mom I know - are outraged. Former Sen. Fred Thompson, Tennessee Republican, took to Twitter recently to blast the raid, calling it a waste of time and resources and mockingly suggesting the FDA would do better to shut down the “many unlicensed lemonade stands” operating around the country. Author David Gumpert, writing at the left-of-center environmental website Grist, wondered whether those who took part in the raid felt “remorse or shame” over this “official effort to deprive people of food.” On May 11, Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican, introduced H.R. 1830, the Unpasteurized Milk Bill, which would end the FDA’s ban and permit the sale of raw milk across state lines.

LINNEKIN: Mopping up the raw-milk mob - Washington Times

I am sure someone is going to tell me again that the government never makes a regulation that does not make sense, and I will again have to question their sanity, but what can I expect from people who think the government is always right.

Federal agents watched the home closely for a year, gathering evidence. Then, in a pre-dawn raid, armed members from three agencies swooped in.No, this is not a retelling of the lightning U.S. commando attack in Abbottabad, Pakistan, that killed terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. Rather, the target of the raid late last month by U.S. marshals, a state police trooper and inspectors from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was Amish farmer Dan Allgyer of Kinzers, Pa. His so-called “crime” involved nothing more than providing unpasteurized, or raw, dairy milk to eager consumers here in the Washington area.
The sting operation against Mr. Allgyer’s Rainbow Acres Farm has touched a nerve around the country and across the ideological divide. Mr. Allgyer’s customers - including a soccer mom I know - are outraged. Former Sen. Fred Thompson, Tennessee Republican, took to Twitter recently to blast the raid, calling it a waste of time and resources and mockingly suggesting the FDA would do better to shut down the “many unlicensed lemonade stands” operating around the country. Author David Gumpert, writing at the left-of-center environmental website Grist, wondered whether those who took part in the raid felt “remorse or shame” over this “official effort to deprive people of food.” On May 11, Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican, introduced H.R. 1830, the Unpasteurized Milk Bill, which would end the FDA’s ban and permit the sale of raw milk across state lines.

I am sure someone is going to tell me again that the government never makes a regulation that does not make sense, and I will again have to question their sanity, but what can I expect from people who think the government is always right.

I have heard data in support of the ban on selling raw milk and in support of allowing the sale of raw milk, so not sure how I stand on that. However it is a moot point in this case anyway. What is relevant is that as it stands selling raw milk is illegal. If you don't like that, of course you have the option of petitioning to have the law changed. What you don't have is the right to break the law.

As for the armed federal agents. I SERIOUSLY doubt that it was a SWAT team or anything similar. Probably some FDA and USDA inspectors who call themselves federal agents to bolster their self image or whatever, but come on..........

I have heard data in support of the ban on selling raw milk and in support of allowing the sale of raw milk, so not sure how I stand on that. However it is a moot point in this case anyway. What is relevant is that as it stands selling raw milk is illegal. If you don't like that, of course you have the option of petitioning to have the law changed. What you don't have is the right to break the law.

As for the armed federal agents. I SERIOUSLY doubt that it was a SWAT team or anything similar. Probably some FDA and USDA inspectors who call themselves federal agents to bolster their self image or whatever, but come on..........

Should we ban the sale of raw chicken, beef, pork, eggs, vegetables, and fruit? Some of these are demonstrably more dangerous than raw milk. As for it being a SWAT team, neither I, nor the story I linked to, mentioned SWAT teams at all, why bring it up? Is it possible that you have seen other stories like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27EFldZ17k&NR=1&feature=fvwp]YouTube - Police Begin "Guns Drawn" Raids on Organic Food Stores in California[/ame]

Should we ban the sale of raw chicken, beef, pork, eggs, vegetables, and fruit? Some of these are demonstrably more dangerous than raw milk. As for it being a SWAT team, neither I, nor the story I linked to, mentioned SWAT teams at all, why bring it up? Is it possible that you have seen other stories like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27EFldZ17k&NR=1&feature=fvwp]YouTube - Police Begin "Guns Drawn" Raids on Organic Food Stores in California[/ame]

As I've PLAINLY said QW I've not seen enough conclusive data one way or the other on raw milk to have an opinion. On the one hand , certainly people ought have the right to drink raw milk if they wish, on the other there are people producing milk in unsanitary conditions which require pasteurization to make their milk safe, so I'm on the fence on this issue, in the end I would even say I don't care which way it goes.

I bring up the SWAT team issue because usually when someone mentions armed federal agents that is the image that comes to mind, and is usually an incorrect image. You would be shocked to know how many armed federal agents there are running around that you had no idea they even carried guns. Not all armed federal agents are GI Joe types.

Forum List

Back