Votes: 52 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Some are, some aren't.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Undecided/Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting little tidbit for you dog lovers.........did you know that they're telepathic?

Dogs are so in tune with us that they can read our minds, according to a new Learning & Behavior study that also determined canines are probably born with the ability.

Practice makes perfect, however, so the more a dog hangs around humans, the better he or she becomes at "canine telepathy," which actually relies upon hyperawareness of the senses.

Those of us who have owned or been around dogs for any period of time know how well they often "get" us, sensing tiredness, depression, headaches or other maladies before we consciously exhibit any major outward signs of distress. Dogs can even detect when a person has cancer. They also seem to sense our joy and good health.

Monique Udell and her team from the University of Florida wondered why dogs are so clever at reading us, and how they accomplish this feat. Are dogs born with the ability to sense our mental states, or do canines learn from experience?

To explore these questions and more, Udell and her team carried out two experiments involving both wolves and dogs. In the experiments, the two sets of animals were given the opportunity to beg for food, either from an attentive person or from a person unable to see the potential begger.

The researchers showed for the first time that wolves, like domestic dogs, are capable of begging successfully for food by approaching the attentive human. This demonstrates that both species - domesticated and non-domesticated - have the capacity to behave in accordance with a human's attentional state. They are therefore likely born with the ability, since wolves would not have had much practice, which the typical pet dog gains by begging for treats during dinner and at other times.

Dogs Likely Born with 'Canine Telepathy' : Discovery News

Might be when you watch the Dog Whisperer, you hear Mr. Cesar talk about "energy" so much.

And yes........humans are telepathic as well.

my husband says it is disgusting to let the clark drank out of my glass then drank from it myself....that its nasty.....i point out he has no problem with other things being inserted into my mouth...and the fight is on lol

:eusa_hand:

The importance of dental hygene should never be underestimated.

Interesting little tidbit for you dog lovers.........did you know that they're telepathic?

Dogs are so in tune with us that they can read our minds, according to a new Learning & Behavior study that also determined canines are probably born with the ability.

Practice makes perfect, however, so the more a dog hangs around humans, the better he or she becomes at "canine telepathy," which actually relies upon hyperawareness of the senses.

Those of us who have owned or been around dogs for any period of time know how well they often "get" us, sensing tiredness, depression, headaches or other maladies before we consciously exhibit any major outward signs of distress. Dogs can even detect when a person has cancer. They also seem to sense our joy and good health.

Monique Udell and her team from the University of Florida wondered why dogs are so clever at reading us, and how they accomplish this feat. Are dogs born with the ability to sense our mental states, or do canines learn from experience?

To explore these questions and more, Udell and her team carried out two experiments involving both wolves and dogs. In the experiments, the two sets of animals were given the opportunity to beg for food, either from an attentive person or from a person unable to see the potential begger.

The researchers showed for the first time that wolves, like domestic dogs, are capable of begging successfully for food by approaching the attentive human. This demonstrates that both species - domesticated and non-domesticated - have the capacity to behave in accordance with a human's attentional state. They are therefore likely born with the ability, since wolves would not have had much practice, which the typical pet dog gains by begging for treats during dinner and at other times.

Might be when you watch the Dog Whisperer, you hear Mr. Cesar talk about "energy" so much.

They definitely have something going, and it's major.

I think they're gifts from God, and their behavior is guided by Him, myself. That's why I believe they'll be in heaven with us.

They definitely have something going, and it's major.

I think they're gifts from God, and their behavior is guided by Him, myself. That's why I believe they'll be in heaven with us.

5613671268_844ab02906_z.jpg

Yes. When my cats die i morn their loss. I just spent 20k on one.... you bet they are family.

When I lost Pyewacket after 21 years, it wasn't like I knew the day was going to come and he was going to fight it (I've never seen a beastie fight death like this old orange and white)

Up to the last minute as we held him, he didn't want to go.

I've really had a bad dying year losing Dusty and Bad Ass and our rescue doll C82, now we're faced with our foundation bitch going under the knife and there goes a grand at Christmas.

But you love them and the years they give you being dorks and loving you, what's a thousand dollars?

Last edited:
For true.

Save pet who's been with you for over a decade or have a bare boned Christmas?

Save Ruby is the answer. And our vet is a champ and Ruby goes under the knife next week.

I see them as possessions of my family. I love them very much, but not as much as I love my children, and I won't ransom my kids and my kids' well being for my animals, regardless of how much I love them.

I have sold off horses and given away pets when for whatever reason they became impossible for me to support without it representing a significant change in my kids' lives (financial hardship, for example, or just plain hardship).

Right now I'm dealing with a very large, very exhuberant dog that I got before I realized I would be living where I am now (I honestly had no idea), and he's veerrry troubling because he's damaging things. I'm thinking (especially today) hard about whether or not to find him another home. It's a hard decision, but if it's between that and being homeless, guess what? He'd have to go.

If you've not taken him through a formal obedience class, then I would highly recommend it. Then if you still feel the need to find him a new home, he'll at least having a better chance of not being dumped by a second family. I find it frustrating to know that so many of the dogs that are in shelters are there because someone got them as cute little puppies, failed to do basic obedience training and then when they're no longer little and cute want to make them someone else's problem. If the dog misbehaves, it's because he was not taught appropriate house manners. If he's destroying your house, start with a crate.

Yes. When my cats die i morn their loss. I just spent 20k on one.... you bet they are family.

When I lost Pyewacket after 21 years, it wasn't like I knew the day was going to come and he was going to fight it (I've never seen a beastie fight death like this old orange and white)

Up to the last minute as we held him, he didn't want to go.

I've really had a bad dying year losing Dusty and Bad Ass and our rescue doll C82, now we're faced with our foundation bitch going under the knife and there goes a grand at Christmas.

But you love them and the years they give you being dorks and loving you, what's a thousand dollars?

Yanno..........I felt the same way when I lost my Big Cat Cement. He'd fallen off of a tree and broke his hip, and it was pretty touch and go for a couple of weeks, but he recovered.

I had another year with him, of which I was grateful.

One night, his hip broke again. I hoped that it was just him being sore, but, it broke again and he was dragging himself by his front legs to get where he wanted.

The day I had to take him in, it rained.

Big Cat held on as long as he could, and looked at me while he was going.

I never want to feel that way again.

Yeah...........I know what it's like.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
It is heartbreaking. My family has always had animals, including livestock, so I learned fairly young the tragedy that often accompanies having animals. And the incredible expense, too! I'm spending money hand over fist (but not a thousand, and for that I'm thankful) on my dog this Christmas, too. I'm at about $200, will spend about $100 more today, and then he goes back in a short time to get fixed, so whatever that costs. Then it's time for the little girl to go in for a checkup as well.

But in all I've been very lucky with them, no major costs except just the cost of feeding them and pet fees and such. I have finally found a food that the terrier can eat without her skin driving her (and me) nuts.

Yesterday the big boy did pretty darned well at the house; I have found a way to keep him occupied. Boxes. Big cardboard boxes filled with stuff...he likes to take the stuff out, and play with the boxes. I discovered this as he has unpacked the last few boxes laying around the house, destroying the contents which (as they are the last few boxes) didn't result in much net loss. Some art supplies and a few books that nobody will miss. So I'm going to find things I can put in the boxes and start leaving those for him to mess with when I go to work. He's such a goof. We're having a good day today, aside from the vet. For the next 10 days, where I go, he goes. Today that will be the beach, the store, the vet office, another appointment, my work (I left one of the kids' gifts there).

What is the breed of dog that's destructive?

If he's from a breed known to be highly intelligent, you got a real problem. Intelligent dogs are easily bored and will always try to "figure it out" making them VERY destructive without sufficient mental stimulation.

A good dog story.

A man I knew had a border collie. He took his dog to a company picnic. A lot of people took their dogs to this event. One other family also had a border collie. After some mutual sniffing and saying hello, the two dogs, who did not know each other before, decided that what they should do is "guard" the playground and "herd" the children who were wandering off. As well, intruders were sniffed out for intention whether it be humans or other dogs.

There's no security like dog security.

Needless to say, a bored border collie will rip your sofa apart to see what it's made of.

Absolutely! They have their own Christmas stockings and everything!

Yup. A few weeks ago, the wife and I had to make the decision that every pet owner dreads.
Sugar, our nearly 16 year old Bichon, blind, deaf and unable to negotiate the porch steps any longer has gone to join her mate Bear. I still tear up when I pass the vet's office where she passed in my arms.
Bert and Grover's stockings are hung with ours, but Sugar's is hung dead center front on the tree.

Yup. A few weeks ago, the wife and I had to make the decision that every pet owner dreads.
Sugar, our nearly 16 year old Bichon, blind, deaf and unable to negotiate the porch steps any longer has gone to join her mate Bear. I still tear up when I pass the vet's office where she passed in my arms.
Bert and Grover's stockings are hung with ours, but Sugar's is hung dead center front on the tree.

I hear that brother. My little partner of a month shy of twenty years, my big ole orange Tom cat Buttons, just had to have him put to sleep earlier this year. He looked like a walking skeleton and had finally lost control of his bowel movements. I've been single and lived alone just him and I all that time. It was a violent shock to lose him like that. Hurts bad. Everyone in here that has lost a pet knows exactly how it is.

Are they family? You fuckin' A they're family, as much as any other member.

Last edited:

I hear that brother. My little partner of a month shy of twenty years, my big ole orange Tom cat Buttons, just had to have him put to sleep earlier this year. He looked like a walking skeleton and had finally lost control of his bowel movements. I've been single and lived alone just him and I all that time. It was a violent shock to lose him like that. Hurts bad. Everyone in here that has lost a pet knows exactly how it is.

Are they family? You fuckin' A they're family, as much as any other member.

We had a Shi Tzu named Shelby. I got her for Delilah shortly after I was captured by the Philistines. One day Shelby was in the backyard, where we thought it would be cool enough for her to stay, but as it is often the case in TX, it didn't stay cool very long. We returned from whatever-the-fuck we had decided to do, and found her suffering from HeatStroke...tried cooling her down, brough her to the emergency vet, he did his best for $700, but to no avail.

Anyway, I said good bye to Shelby. She only wanted to be held and crawled over to me for one last cuddle.

One day about a month or two later I was sitting in the front yard, looking at the tree under which Shelby was buried, when a Shi Tzu jumped into my lap. I looked at the tag, called the owner, who came and picked up the dog. The owner said Samson was something of an escape artist, and I said that I'd be happy to take him if he go tired of casing him down.

A week later we owned Samson.

looks like we have another herding dog lover

Indeed ;) Though, there is a ringer in the group - the one that looks suspicially like an Akita :eusa_shifty:

One of my hobbies with my dogs is herding - Cowboy, who can no longer do it for physical reasons, really enjoyed it. I was going through some old videos of him during a lessons and trials and thought I'd share. If you have a dog with herding heritage - it is fun to go to an "Intro to Herding" event just to see what your dog can do :)

PS - disclaimer, Cowboy's butthead moments were due primarily to indept handling on my part ;) He's very pushy and tends to want to be too close to his sheep.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdL-sEvsETA&context=C3e5609cADOEgsToPDskLIYyaL-QkPnC4wrk_2TBxj]Cowboy working sheep - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
If you really want to have some fun you have to go to the websites like shit my pet destroyed.

Here's one link. The worst of it is, when you think about it, you realize that the pet owners actually took pictures before cleaning up the mess.:badgrin:

Shit My Pet Destroyed

I've been blessed that all my beasties except for American Bad Ass have been taken by the Lord.

When we had to make the decision to put down BA, I've never been thru a nightmare like that but my vet made sure we were with him up to the very last breath. I appreciate that.

It's that last breath than haunts you.It's like a whisper. But I always figured I owed it for all the years they put in with me being my companion, my friend, my buddy who could always put up with me.

If they were going to go to rainbow bridge I always wanted them to have the last words they hear is "I love you. I will always love you".

Doesn't make it easier, but at least I can say I helped them cross the finish line with dignity and love.

If you really want to have some fun you have to go to the websites like shit my pet destroyed.

Here's one link. The worst of it is, when you think about it, you realize that the pet owners actually took pictures before cleaning up the mess.:badgrin:

Shit My Pet Destroyed

That's so funny...I always mean to vid the house when it has been decimated; but generally I'm in a huge rush and have to get the dogs outside for a few minutes, restore order (QUICKLY) and get back out the door.

When he discovers the furniture and lays waste, as I'm sure will eventually happen, I definitely will video THAT.

He is getting better, big silly boy.

Forum List

Back