Are you better off than you were 2 years ago?

For those who are pretending that their 401K (if they actually have one) has taken a dive since Biden became President, the S&P 500 was at 3762.30 on the day he took office. It is at 4125.25 as I write this, this morning. (Source: ES00 | E-Mini S&P 500 Future Continuous Contract Overview | MarketWatch) So maybe you're just a shitty investor.

If you want to blame him for the inflation, you're making that up, as well. The seeds for this inflationary spike were sewn long before he became President. Personally, I would trace them back to Clinton's stupid decision to repeal Glass Steagall. But you're certainly free to play that dishonest and/or ignorant game if you'd like.

If you want to say that your life has been negatively affected by illegal immigration, you'd probably need to demonstrate how that is. That might be your best shot.

For those who are pretending that their 401K (if they actually have one) has taken a dive since Biden became President, the S&P 500 was at 3762.30 on the day he took office. It is at 4125.25 as I write this, this morning. (Source: ES00 | E-Mini S&P 500 Future Continuous Contract Overview | MarketWatch) So maybe you're just a shitty investor.

If you want to blame him for the inflation, you're making that up, as well. The seeds for this inflationary spike were sewn long before he became President. Personally, I would trace them back to Clinton's stupid decision to repeal Glass Steagall. But you're certainly free to play that dishonest and/or ignorant game if you'd like.

If you want to say that your life has been negatively affected by illegal immigration, you'd probably need to demonstrate how that is. That might be your best shot.
Apparently Mac didn't get the memo that Biden is to be thrown under the bus...check your emails, brah.

Also, it's "sown" not "sewn". One is sewing as in fabric, the other is sowing as in seeds.

Just pointing out facts, as usual. If you can't handle that, too bad.
Facts like stifling America's fuel supply doesn't lead to prices for everything spiking? You can shove them facts where the sun don't shine, Maccy.
star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif

I know that's what you're told because it's simple to understand and politically expedient.

I don't care.
As goes the price of diesel, thus goes the price of everything, Maccy. Everything in America moves on diesel, there's a fact for you.

It's simple to read EO 13990, but I bet you never have.

As goes the price of diesel, thus goes the price of everything, Maccy. Everything in America moves on diesel, there's a fact for you.

It's simple to read EO 13990, but I bet you never have.
Okay, Mr. Economics expert. Perhaps my 22+ years in finance and financial analysis pales in comparison to your background.

So, educate me:

1. Why did I bring up the repeal of Glass Steagall, how would it relate to this inflationary spike, and precisely why did you ignore it?

2. Why didn't we have this inflation when oil prices hit the levels below?

Go ahead. Demonstrate your knowledge for me.

Recent oil price spikes, per barrel:
  • March, 2008: $98.44
  • April, 2008: $106.64
  • May, 2008: $118.55
  • June, 2008: $127.47
  • July, 2008: $128.08
  • August, 2008: $112.83
  • April, 2011: $108.80
  • May, 2011: $102.46
  • November, 2011: $100.18
  • February, 2012: $102.04
  • March, 2012: $105.42
  • April, 2012: $103.62
  • July, 2013: $101.41
  • August, 2013: $102.96
  • September, 2013: $102.32
Source: U.S. Crude Oil First Purchase Price (Dollars per Barrel)

If you are, good for you. If not, you have plenty of company.

A new poll shows a record number of Americans say they are worse off financially since President Biden took office, the most ever recorded by the poll in its 37 years of asking the question.

Record number of Americans say they are worse off under Joe Biden: Poll

Yes we are better off.

Between the wife and I our raises over the last 2 years have more than covered inflation.

We had a house built and moved into it 4 months ago. It is smaller and far more energy efficient so our utility bills are smaller even with the rise in cost for NG and electricity.

Our 401ks were down a bit in 2022 but they also bought more shares than in 2021 so when the market comes back we will be even better off.

In just a few days we will celebrate our 30th anniversary.

Life has truly never been better in the Gator Household

Okay, Mr. Economics expert. Perhaps my 22+ years in finance and financial analysis pales in comparison to your background.

So, educate me:

1. Why did I bring up the repeal of Glass Steagall, how would it relate to this inflationary spike, and precisely why did you ignore it?

2. Why didn't we have this inflation when oil prices hit the levels below?

Go ahead. Demonstrate your knowledge for me.

Recent oil price spikes, per barrel:
  • March, 2008: $98.44
  • April, 2008: $106.64
  • May, 2008: $118.55
  • June, 2008: $127.47
  • July, 2008: $128.08
  • August, 2008: $112.83
  • April, 2011: $108.80
  • May, 2011: $102.46
  • November, 2011: $100.18
  • February, 2012: $102.04
  • March, 2012: $105.42
  • April, 2012: $103.62
  • July, 2013: $101.41
  • August, 2013: $102.96
  • September, 2013: $102.32
Source: U.S. Crude Oil First Purchase Price (Dollars per Barrel)
2008? As a result of that Glass-Steagall revocation and the promotion of Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac, the housing bubble had burst.

Nobody was on the road and buying stuff to create inflation. Gas got up to $4.26/gal here, though.

Travel was reduced to necessary only, and no frivolous spending going on at all.

Almost no subcontractor vehicles on the road at all then. Mr. "Economonomist". :auiqs.jpg:

Brings back all the sad life stories I heard and saw 1st hand how people got laid off and lost their houses and all kinds of stuff. :(

The banks made out swimmingly, though. Now they're the biggest landlords in the nation. Isn't that swell?

Last edited:
Yes we are better off.

Between the wife and I our raises over the last 2 years have more than covered inflation.

We had a house built and moved into it 4 months ago. It is smaller and far more energy efficient so our utility bills are smaller even with the rise in cost for NG and electricity.

Our 401ks were down a bit in 2022 but they also bought more shares than in 2021 so when the market comes back we will be even better off.

Okay, Boomer. :abgg2q.jpg:

Yes we are better off.
Congrats. My best to you and your family, even though your politics sucks <g>

Forum List

Back