Are there any other asparagus lovers out there?

I like asparagus.

Ever notice how it makes your piss smell strange?

No, I never noticed that, but I usually don't smell my urine.

I am going to be seeing the pecker checker in August, and he always collects a urine specimen. Do you think it would impress him if I ate asparagus before I went there?
Also, "pecker checker", that's funny!

I hope it isn't a slur. I am not against Urologists at all, I hope it didn't come off that way

I like asparagus.

Ever notice how it makes your piss smell strange?

No, I never noticed that, but I usually don't smell my urine.

I am going to be seeing the pecker checker in August, and he always collects a urine specimen. Do you think it would impress him if I ate asparagus before I went there?
Also, "pecker checker", that's funny!

I hope it isn't a slur. I am not against Urologists at all, I hope it didn't come off that way
Nope, not at ALL a slur to me. I call them "pee doctors", myself! My family care doctor's husband is a urologist, she tells me he has a great sense of humor. He most likely would think "pecker checker" is funny. Because it IS funny.

Asparagus is one of the few things I suck at growing myself (in the garden).

I tried and failed miserably :(

Those blueberry bushes never stood a chance either :(

I've heard that asparagus IS hard to grow on your own. You have to have just the right climate for it to grow successfully.

In the morning cook your asparagus the way you want then put it in a ziplock baggie with raspberry vinaigrette to marinate until dinner time........ :thup:

I've heard that asparagus IS hard to grow on your own. You have to have just the right climate for it to grow successfully.
It can be grown throughout the US although it does better in cooler climates. I think the hardest parts of growing it are the narrow harvesting window and the ability to resist the urge to pick for a few years after the initial planting.

Asparagus tastes great and pairs well. Then there is that whole new car smell it gives your urine.

Whole asparagus spears, thick sliced onion, green & red pepper and mushrooms sautéed with butter, salt & cracked pepper for a great side to grilled steak

Pickled asparagus for a snack

Canned makes it awful soft & mushy, but still edible

It can be grown throughout the US although it does better in cooler climates. I think the hardest parts of growing it are the narrow harvesting window and the ability to resist the urge to pick for a few years after the initial planting.

Asparagus tastes great and pairs well. Then there is that whole new car smell it gives your urine.
Thanks, "whole new car smell it gives your urine", I LIKE that! Actually, asparagus gives MY pee a slight sulfur smell. It's a LITTLE unpleasant, but I kind of like it, for some reason.

Fresh asparagus, par boil or partially steam cook them, and then take butter, garlic and plenty of Parmesan and finish in a 400 degree oven. This will produce softer stems and pull the natural sugars out.

Love asparagus, fresh or cooked.

In Maine we had "fiddleheads" cause looks like one before they unfurl. It's a fern grows along river banks when woter recedes in spring. I used to pick they, can even get them in markets. Steam long enough to be tender and kill beaver and deer pee on them. Much like asparagus to the palete.

I ***LOVE*** asparagus, canned but preferably fresh. I break each stem into where it snaps at the right spot leaving the most tender portions and I steam those until a fork inserted above the middle of the stem feels right to me and that tells me it is done to my tastes and then I drain it, gently pour it into a bowl over which I add butter and freshly squeezed lemons. Salt to taste. I like it that way best and served with country baked ham, potatoes au gratin, and broiled English muffins with butter.

I have also made sauces to cover it. All the recipes in this thread sound fabulous. And yes, emptying the bladder becomes a somewhat memorable experience for about a day. :p

My father in law insisted you needed to grow them in an old bathtub.
Who am I to argue? He produced that stuff by the shit ton!!!
He also worked closely with the A&M ag department and had the most badass veggie gardens I've ever seen!!

My father in law insisted you needed to grow them in an old bathtub.

Interesting.

I have a 2 foot long troth I cut the bottom out of...and put in the ground to grow my chives...it keeps grass from getting mixed in with the chives.

I always wanted to plant chives in my entire lawn...thunk how good it would smell every time I mowed the grass :D

I love asparagus. I just cannot have it very often and can't have much when I do. Asparagus is one of those yummy vegetables like spinach that is filled with oxylates.

I have a 2 foot long troth I cut the bottom out of...and put in the ground to grow my chives...it keeps grass from getting mixed in with the chives.

I always wanted to plant chives in my entire lawn...thunk how good it would smell every time I mowed the grass :D

Mow here in So Central KY. Spring and fall wild chive/onion everywhere. Yes it smells oniony! Good smell.

Forum List

Back