Abandoned Texas oil wells are blowing out. The state won’t fix them.

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Well..this is cute--abandoned drilling sites leaking everything from salt water to radioactive materials--and the State of Texas tells the ranchers to kick rocks:

Schuyler Wight is a fourth generation rancher who has raised longhorn cattle outside Midland, Texas, for decades. Wight is no geologist, but over the years, he’s had to familiarize himself with what lies underground. Scattered across his sprawling 20,000-acre ranch are more than 100 abandoned oil and gas wells left behind by wildcatters who drilled in random locations for decades looking for oil. Many were unsuccessful, but the drilling opened up layers of porous rock, revealing water, and minerals.
Rather than cap the holes, the wildcatters and their oil companies–now long gone–transferred ownership of unproductive wells to the previous owners of Wight’s ranch to be used as water wells, known as P-13 wells.
Decades later, some of the wells on Wight’s land are leaking contaminated water, hydrogen sulfide and radioactive materials. Occasionally, Wight’s cattle drink water that has bubbled up to the surface and die, representing thousands of dollars in losses for his ranch.
Typically, the Texas Railroad Commission would take responsibility for cleaning up oil and gas wells abandoned by now–defunct drilling companies. But the commission won’t spend a dime on wells like Wight’s. That’s because the commission argues his wells aren’t oil or gas wells because they never successfully produced fossil fuel.
Without state or federal funds to clean up the mess, farmers, ranchers, and small local governments are struggling to fix the major environmental damage left from decades of drilling. Wight has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars–and counting–to clean up just a few of the wells on his property.
“That’s a lot of money when you’ve got to pay it back with cattle,” Wight said.
Across the state, according to the commission’s records, there are nearly 2,000 documented P-13 wells. Not all of them have started to leak as on Wight’s ranch, but it’s impossible to know the full scale of the problem. “The RRC does not maintain a cost estimate to plug abandoned water wells as it is the responsibility of the landowner to complete those pluggings,” the agency’s spokesperson Andrew Keese said in an email.

In Pecos County, the Middle Pecos Groundwater Conservation District has repeatedly asked the Railroad Commission to add 40 wells to the agency’s statewide list of 8,000 abandoned wells marked for cleanup. The small local agency doesn’t have the funds, staff or resources it needs to plug the abandoned wells that are now polluting groundwater in the region, said Ty Edwards, the district’s manager. Many of the wells are on remote properties, owned by absentee landowners, environmental advocates say. The most infamous of these wells, Sloan Blair #1, has been spewing so much briny water that it’s formed a body of water nicknamed Lake Boehmer in the middle of the West Texas desert.

Why should the state be on the hook? We see this over and over. Be it oil or coal or whatever. The producers take what they can and take their profits and leave a mess for the taxpayers to clean up.

It's time to go after those who leave the mess.

Why should the state be on the hook? We see this over and over. Be it oil or coal or whatever. The producers take what they can and take their profits and leave a mess for the taxpayers to clean up.

It's time to go after those who leave the mess.
I'd agree..except those responsible are all dead, for the most part..and their wildcat companies defunct. The state says the landowner is on the hook..as the wells never produced any oil they are not abandoned and polluting oil wells.

I'd agree..except those responsible are all dead, for the most part..and their wildcat companies defunct. The state says the landowner is on the hook..as the wells never produced any oil they are not abandoned and polluting oil wells.

No, the companies are simply bought by other companies after filing bankruptcy or some other maneuver to get out of their obligations. We see it here in WV with the coal companies all the time.

Sounds like a good place to put used tires and set them on fire. ;)
It's a Texas tradition, after all!

1665669204593.png

1665669271978.png

The state won't fix them. Did the state drill them?
LOL! Texas..pretty much run by the oil interests in those days. So yeah, the State had a hand in it. More to the point--it's in the public interest that these wells be cleaned up--which should be a state thing. This is a state-wide problem that is not going to go away. The state already has a process to clean up abandoned oil wells..they're just hanging onto a technicality..that these exploratory wells are not abandoned oil rigs..since no oil was produced. Yet they were drilled in the hope and expectation of finding oil.
Yes, it's the job of the state to ensure the public well-being..otherwise, why even pay your taxes?
But I get it..as long as it's not in YOUR back yard, who cares right?

LOL! Texas..pretty much run by the oil interests in those days. So yeah, the State had a hand in it. More to the point--it's in the public interest that these wells be cleaned up--which should be a state thing. This is a state-wide problem that is not going to go away. The state already has a process to clean up abandoned oil wells..they're just hanging onto a technicality..that these exploratory wells are not abandoned oil rigs..since no oil was produced. Yet they were drilled in the hope and expectation of finding oil.
Yes, it's the job of the state to ensure the public well-being..otherwise, why even pay your taxes?
But I get it..as long as it's not in YOUR back yard, who cares right?

If there was no oil or gas discovered it should be up to the company that drilled the well to close it.

Here is where this whole it needs to be done by the government falls apart.
if a company comes in and wants to drill on someone’s land they first have to contact the owner of the mineral rights. They make a deal with them. Then They have to contact the owner of the property, it may be the same as the mineral rights owner or not. They will pay “land use” which means they pay an agreed amount for any roads and drilling locations. If it turns into a viable well then they will be paying land use for years. If the well is not a producer then they can offer it as a well to the land owner if they accept it becomes a P-13 well. That the land owner can use how ever they want. If the land owner refuses it then the company must plug it.
In this case it sounds like the previous landowner chose to accept numerous wells then sold the property. The fellow buying it either had no idea what he was buying or did not pay attention. Now he wants someone to fix a problem for him. If I buy a used car and the motor goes out two months after I buy it I do not go running to the government to fix the car if I did not do due diligence

If there was no oil or gas discovered it should be up to the company that drilled the well to close it.
Again..those companies no longer exist. Some may have been absorbed into larger and different companies..but many of these wells were drilled by independent wildcatters who went bust. it was common practice for major oil companies to let the exploration drilling be done by independents--then they'd swoop in and buy the leases if the wells produced.

Again..those companies no longer exist. Some may have been absorbed into larger and different companies..but many of these wells were drilled by independent wildcatters who went bust. it was common practice for major oil companies to let the exploration drilling be done by independents--then they'd swoop in and buy the leases if the wells produced.

And IMO should now be responsible for the costs.

Here is where this whole it needs to be done by the government falls apart.
if a company comes in and wants to drill on someone’s land they first have to contact the owner of the mineral rights. They make a deal with them. Then They have to contact the owner of the property, it may be the same as the mineral rights owner or not. They will pay “land use” which means they pay an agreed amount for any roads and drilling locations. If it turns into a viable well then they will be paying land use for years. If the well is not a producer then they can offer it as a well to the land owner if they accept it becomes a P-13 well. That the land owner can use how ever they want. If the land owner refuses it then the company must plug it.
In this case it sounds like the previous landowner chose to accept numerous wells then sold the property. The fellow buying it either had no idea what he was buying or did not pay attention. Now he wants someone to fix a problem for him. If I buy a used car and the motor goes out two months after I buy it I do not go running to the government to fix the car if I did not do due diligence
Your analogy does not work at all. These wells are spewing toxic pollutants far and wide. In one case..there is a toxic lake..a huge toxic lake that is now covering a state highway.
Charge the landowner..i don't care..but step in and cap the well regardless.

I'm for it...but I doubt that the law is. Liability can be tricky..and oil companies have deep pockets and heavy political pull..especially in Texas.

I have no doubt that the law covers their asses. One would think the people would grow tired of it at some point though.

Your analogy does not work at all. These wells are spewing toxic pollutants far and wide. In one case..there is a toxic lake..a huge toxic lake that is now covering a state highway.
Charge the landowner..i don't care..but step in and cap the well regardless.
I have no problem with anyone properly abandoning a well. But in this case it is the landowners responsibility to do it. Trying to claim that the state is to blame is complete bull.

I have no problem with anyone properly abandoning a well. But in this case it is the landowners responsibility to do it. Trying to claim that the state is to blame is complete bull.
Nothing is being said about blame. Most know the blame is with a system that favors the oil interests.
Now..responsibility--is a different story. Does the state have an obligation to its citizens? I have no problem with the state cleaning up the mess and billing the landowners.

Nothing is being said about blame. Most know the blame is with a system that favors the oil interests.
Now..responsibility--is a different story. Does the state have an obligation to its citizens? I have no problem with the state cleaning up the mess and billing the landowners.
Here again you want the state to somehow charge the landowner. Okay what happens if the landowner does not want to pay? Does the state take the land and the rest of the assets or is it on the hook while the landowner walks away scott free?
If you are in favor of the state taking all assets then that reeks. If you are in favor of the state being on the hook that also reeks.

Here again you want the state to somehow charge the landowner. Okay what happens if the landowner does not want to pay? Does the state take the land and the rest of the assets or is it on the hook while the landowner walks away scott free?

Place a lien on the property.

Forum List

Back