Are the Mods Secret for a Reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whining gets old.

Ah -- look who showed up. It's Coyote.

Thanks for the advice.
I doubt, given your record, you will heed it.

You should read "The Telltale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe some day.

Most apropos.
There are a lot of good books, this one was recommended to me by parents, you might give it a try:
A07735CD-97EB-4FD4-8B31-3AD69748D631.jpeg

I guess the mods are going to keep the answer a secret too.
I honestly meant this as an innocent question, not a bash on the mods thread. How come no reply to my OP Meister?

It's not like we have shifts to cover... We give it HOURS a day.. Some of staff give it more. Some of us like me -- sometimes get absorbed actually ENJOYING discussions..

So -- late at night we got our "night owls" and I don't DO mornings for anything. BUT -- we make sure we check in to pick up PMs a couple times a day and answer the important stuff if LIFE calls..

That's why there's SEVEN of us active on Staff.. With that number and effort we get pretty good coverage..

I WILL say -- and I may get flack for this but -- a couple mods have been stalked in real life because of this volunteering over a long time, and they MAY choose to log-in not visible during their work hours for instance..

We will show up on the list for 30 min. if we don't physically log off the site.
If we just go to another site or log off the computer without logging off this site, it will still show
that we're still here for 30 min.
Thanks, Meister! That explains it. Except that after half an hour it doesn't show that who's still on and available. It's not as if I am going to check every few minutes to see who's signed on. I only look for it if I have a question.
If there is no mod shown, that would mean that no mod is on at that time.

Hey wait what about Boris and Natasha over in Moscow? Aren't THEY supposed to be covering our NightShift?? :stir:

I guess the mods are going to keep the answer a secret too.
I honestly meant this as an innocent question, not a bash on the mods thread. How come no reply to my OP Meister?

It's not like we have shifts to cover... We give it HOURS a day.. Some of staff give it more. Some of us like me -- sometimes get absorbed actually ENJOYING discussions..

So -- late at night we got our "night owls" and I don't DO mornings for anything. BUT -- we make sure we check in to pick up PMs a couple times a day and answer the important stuff if LIFE calls..

That's why there's SEVEN of us active on Staff.. With that number and effort we get pretty good coverage..

I WILL say -- and I may get flack for this but -- a couple mods have been stalked in real life because of this volunteering over a long time, and they MAY choose to log-in not visible during their work hours for instance..
a couple mods have been stalked in real life because of this volunteering over a long time,
That's awful.

a couple mods have been stalked in real life because of this volunteering over a long time, and they MAY choose to log-in not visible during their work hours for instance..

So, now you are saying that there are mods who DO log in incognito. This is a direct contradiction of the claims made by others.

Beyond that, how are mods being stalked in real life? How is it that people are finding out their personal identities and harrasing them? I find this claim hard to believe.

a couple mods have been stalked in real life because of this volunteering over a long time, and they MAY choose to log-in not visible during their work hours for instance..

So, now you are saying that there are mods who DO log in incognito. This is a direct contradiction of the claims made by others.

Beyond that, how are mods being stalked in real life? How is it that people are finding out their personal identities and harrasing them? I find this claim hard to believe.
You had better believe it. People can be naive about data that a malicious person can piece together. It is why we are really strict about data mining offenses.

You had better believe it. People can be naive about data that a malicious person can piece together. It is why we are really strict about data mining offenses.

So, moderators are being harrased in real life and thus posting incognito (in direct contradiction of previous claims) because somebody has pieced together enough information to know their identity -- is that the claim?

It is difficult to know which claims here are true and which are false because of all the contradictions in what is being said.

What about a malicious moderator who stalks posters, though? Should I assume here that there is nothing in place to prevent such from occurring?

So, moderators are being harrased in real life and thus posting incognito (in direct contradiction of previous claims) because somebody has pieced together enough information to know their identity -- is that the claim?

It is difficult to know which claims here are true and which are false because of all the contradictions in what is being said.

What about a malicious moderator who stalks posters, though? Should I assume here that there is nothing in place to prevent such from occurring?
Mods don't have access to our personal information, if I recall.

A claim has been made that various posters have access to the personal information of moderators and are stalking them. If this is actually true, it stands to reason that moderators would have the same, if not greater access to information about posters.

I had a former member piece together enough information to figure out who I was in real life, and who then attempted to get me fired in real life. Another mod here had similar, real life, attacks from this person. For a while after that, I selected the option not to be visible. That was several years ago.

If a mod needs a break or chooses to be invisible, because it is late at night, that is their choice.

For most part, we choose to remain visible and accessable, and I think there is always at least one mod on. We are volunteers. No one should have to put up with real life disruptions because of disfunctional people who carry Forum grudges into Real Life.

Secondly, on your last paragraph (and speaking of carrying grudges) I am quite sure you are referring to me, so let’s not be coy. If you feel you are being stalked and harassed, contact a senior mod.

If you feel a post was unjustly removed (I.e. it did not violate the rules) query a mod. We can see what is deleted. You and the mod can discuss the rules.

In the meantime, let me make two points:

One - I have largely ignored for a while, not replying to your posts, not even moderating much. Suddenly, you started addressing my posts. Who is stalking who?

Two - since you have chosen to publicly whine about your posts being deleted, I will respond publicly. Lack of topical content. You have a habit of using threads to make nasty personal jibes about members and derailing discussion onto a member rather than a topic. Discussions about members generally belong in the FZ or Badlands.

Lastly....if you won’t contact one of the team because you feel we are all biased against you....well, maybe it is because you have worn out the team’s tolerance and goodwill here with your complaining and insinuations.

A claim has been made that various posters have access to the personal information of moderators and are stalking them. If this is actually true, it stands to reason that moderators would have the same, if not greater access to information about posters.

No. It doesn’t.

Vbulletin is a very secure system. There are members here who administer other forums who have told you that. The only information we see as mods that you do not see are the infractions. We see none of your personal information, not even your email that you used to register. And sometimes that has caused difficulties when a member forgets his password. We can’t access that nor can we alter it. We have to go to the Admins, and they then verify with the member that he is who he is, and do the necessary actions.

If you don’t believe me, research the platform instead of make snide insinuations.

Data mining can be surprisingly easy if a naive person reveals too much info in posts or “friendships” about where they are, where they work, a first name, a hobby. It has happened to several folks here.

It can also happen in the guise of friendships that go south, and the embittered (disfunctional) person goes on the attack affecting real life. This has happened to several people in the FZ. Some people are simply manipulative predators and forums give them an opportunity to entertain their sociopathic tendencies.

Moral is, be very careful of your privacy, it is very painful to get burned in real life by a psycho.

I had a former member piece together enough information to figure out who I was in real life, and who then attempted to get me fired in real life. Another mod here had similar, real life, attacks from this person. For a while after that, I selected the option not to be visible. That was several years ago.

If a mod needs a break or chooses to be invisible, because it is late at night, that is their choice.

For most part, we choose to remain visible and accessable, and I think there is always at least one mod on. We are volunteers. No one should have to put up with real life disruptions because of disfunctional people who carry Forum grudges into Real Life.

Secondly, on your last paragraph (and speaking of carrying grudges) I am quite sure you are referring to me, so let’s not be coy. If you feel you are being stalked and harassed, contact a senior mod.

If you feel a post was unjustly removed (I.e. it did not violate the rules) query a mod. We can see what is deleted. You and the mod can discuss the rules.

One - I have largely ignored for a while, not replying to your posts, not even moderating much. Suddenly, you started addressing my posts. Who is stalking who?

Two - since you have chosen to publicly whine about your posts being deleted, I will respond publicly. Lack of topical content. You have a habit of using threads to make nasty personal jibes about members and derailing discussion onto a member rather than a topic. Discussions about members generally belong in the FZ or Badlands.

Lastly....if you won’t contact one of the team because you feel we are all biased against you....well, maybe it is because you have worn out the team’s tolerance and goodwill here with your complaining and insinuations.
1586104563529.png

So, mods sometimes choose to be accessible and sometimes you do not.

The question has finally been answered. It sure took a long time for the truth to come out.

It was answered multiple times. Different mods work it different ways. Do have an agenda in pursuing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back