Are political views a choice?

In some cases we accept our parents views just because or may go the opposite for the same reason.

I really believe a lot of our political views are strongly impacted by our personality type and our value system which includes religious, social, personal etc.

Some of us may change over time based on experiences and data, others may remain locked in a belief system and never take on any new data to challenge the current belief system.

Neither side has all the answers and only an idealogue believes his/her political system is the only one for our country.

Despite what some extremist believe, the moderates will normally be closer to the truth on most issues and trust me don't think that a moderate won't stand up and blow you away if you threaten to blow them away. Middle of the road does not mean acquiescient at all.

Otherwise we are just all screwed up.:lol:

• Banned
Many people seem to have no compunction whatsoever to making the most vicious and vile comments about people with different political views than their own. The kinds of things that were they said to someone, not based on politics but race, gender, ethnicity etc. would most certainly and immediately brand one a bigot. The reason most often given for the different standard is that people don't choose their race etc. but they do choose to be [insert political label]. But is that really true? Do people really choose what they think and believe, anymore than say, someone chooses their sexuality?

Of course we choose our political views. And, consequently, can chance them. I think this is the distinguishing answer to your question.

Yes we choose otherwise why vote? Just let the "liberals" abort themselves out of the elections!!!!!

Of course we choose our political views. And, consequently, can chance them. I think this is the distinguishing answer to your question.

So you're saying you could choose today to be pro-Israel?

of course.. and, as soon as israel starts treating palis like we treat jews ill be happy to be pro israel.

of course.. and, as soon as israel starts treating palis like we treat jews ill be happy to be pro israel.

So, without the qualification the answer is actually no. Got it.

So, without the qualification the answer is actually no. Got it.

do you feel the need to manufacture drama in light of this rather easy question of your thread? Again, I look forward to supporting israel after they treat palis like we do jews. When equality and democracy become more important than david duke style racism. WHEN THAT HAPPENS I will change my political view of isreal per your original question. Hopefully it happens today.

I thought Ravi was the drama queen... sheesh.

In some cases we accept our parents views just because or may go the opposite for the same reason.

I really believe a lot of our political views are strongly impacted by our personality type and our value system which includes religious, social, personal etc.

Some of us may change over time based on experiences and data, others may remain locked in a belief system and never take on any new data to challenge the current belief system.

Neither side has all the answers and only an idealogue believes his/her political system is the only one for our country.

Despite what some extremist believe, the moderates will normally be closer to the truth on most issues and trust me don't think that a moderate won't stand up and blow you away if you threaten to blow them away. Middle of the road does not mean acquiescient at all.

Otherwise we are just all screwed up.:lol:

What he said.

My greatest worry is that the younger generations don't really have an appreciation of the definitive history of the two parties and how they differ (neither is all good nor all bad). They are only seeing the last decade or less of revenge against the other, and choosing "sides" as if it were all out war. When the governing body reaches that point, the United States would be no less barbaric than the old Iraq government under a dictator whose Sunni [party] rode roughshod over the Shia and when the tables were turned, so did the winning "side."

Many people seem to have no compunction whatsoever to making the most vicious and vile comments about people with different political views than their own. The kinds of things that were they said to someone, not based on politics but race, gender, ethnicity etc. would most certainly and immediately brand one a bigot. The reason most often given for the different standard is that people don't choose their race etc. but they do choose to be [insert political label]. But is that really true? Do people really choose what they think and believe, anymore than say, someone chooses their sexuality?

I posted this yesterday, which is in the same vein, but it got "moved" to the Flame Zone and didn't attract much attention. I thought it was interesting that maybe our "politics" are a reflection of something we were simply born with.

The psychology of liberals v. conservatives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not just politics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
May 28, 2009
Op-Ed Columnist
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Would You Slap Your Father? If So, You’re a Liberal

If you want to tell whether someone is conservative or liberal, what are a couple of completely nonpolitical questions that will give a good clue?

How’s this: Would you be willing to slap your father in the face, with his permission, as part of a comedy skit?

And, second: Does it disgust you to touch the faucet in a public restroom?

Studies suggest that conservatives are more often distressed by actions that seem disrespectful of authority, such as slapping Dad. Liberals don’t worry as long as Dad has given permission.

Likewise, conservatives are more likely than liberals to sense contamination or perceive disgust. People who would be disgusted to find that they had accidentally sipped from an acquaintance’s drink are more likely to identify as conservatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/op...f.html?_r=1&em

My realization that I was Conservative was akin to walking absent mindedly down the road and becoming suddenly aware of a beautiful sun set.

A political position is really a philosophy.

One philosophy states that any person is weak and cannot survive except as a bit of a collective. The less powerful any particular bit is, the more celebrated that bit should become. Success is an accident and life arbitrarily awards some and punishes others. The rewarded are obliged to support the punished.

The other philosophy states that each person is strong and capable as a natural state of being. Exceptions are the very young, the very old and the infirm. As such, each of us is obliged to develop his strengths as completely as he determines is appropriate. Success is the result of applied determination and success will vary according to the skills of the individual. ALL of the able bodies are obliged to support and nurture the very young, the very old and the infirm.

So, one phiosophy states that I am weak and the other states that I am strong. I choose to follow the philosophy that says that I am strong. Of course, soon I will retire and I will be looking forward to being supported by all of the young Liberals who are still working. I look forward to becoming a Democrat at that time.

A different sun set.

Or does your political affiliation choose you could be another part to the question.

Forum List

Back