Approaching the End of the World (as we know it)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

I admit being a simple person - some would say a simpleTON - but it seems to me that if the Climate doomsayers were serious they would publish a short list of the things that mankind must do in order to avoid the catastrophe that they are warning us about.

Cynically, however, I suspect that the reason they don't publish the Short List is because once it were published (note the cool use of the subjunctive mood), the un-seriousness of it would become apparent.

No, we are not going to give up heating or air conditioning,
No, we are not going to give up agriculture,
No, we are not going to give up human mobility (cars, planes, trains, e-bikes, etc.),
No, we are not going to give up transporting goods and services around the globe,
No, we are not going to give up our IT infrastructure,
No, third world countries are not going to give up COAL - the cheapest and most plentiful road to modernity, and
We are not going to move forward with anything serious until the global Left gets on board with nuclear power.

What else do they have? The wind blows when it feels like blowing. The sun don't shine at night, and hardly at all here in Pittsburgh.

While I am a decrepit 72 years old and don't have to worry about the Long Term in any event, I'd put my faith in ENGINEERING. The kind of engineering that makes much of the Netherlands able to live below sea level, and produces drinking water from the sea, albeit at significant cost, and allows people to live in Phoenix, which is naturally uninhabitable. And so on.

The Great Climate Catastrophe will happen gradually. No one is going to drown due to rising sea levels (although the alarmists keep pointing to that mega-block of ice in Antarctica). "We" will deal with the problems as they come. Nobody is going to let Miami or Manhattan go under water - although90% of the country would give that eventuality a thumbs up.

Where is the list JK? Let us look at it, critique it, and poke holes in it.

Climate???? are you serious?...a global pandemic killer...China moving ahead of America in almost all categories....an economy that is failing hard working Americans....Europe on the brink of war...a border wide open and a president that can barely speak in full cohesive sentences...and someone is ringing the end of the world bell because of the weather?....OMG....we need to dismantle the entire education system in this nation....too many dumb folks with the paper work to make them them think that they are smart....

Replacing coal fired electrical plants with nuclear electrical plants will reduce American CO2 output by 15% which is significant.

And your blender can't tell coal electricity from nuclear electricity.

American CO2 output isn't the problem right now, it's China's. Twice as much as ours in 2016, and most likely more than twice as much by now.

co2.jpg

I admit being a simple person - some would say a simpleTON - but it seems to me that if the Climate doomsayers were serious they would publish a short list of the things that mankind must do in order to avoid the catastrophe that they are warning us about.

Cynically, however, I suspect that the reason they don't publish the Short List is because once it were published (note the cool use of the subjunctive mood), the un-seriousness of it would become apparent.

No, we are not going to give up human mobility (cars, planes, trains, e-bikes, etc.),
No, we are not going to give up transporting goods and services around the globe,
No, third world countries are not going to give up COAL - the cheapest and most plentiful road to modernity, and
We are not going to move forward with anything serious until the global Left gets on board with nuclear power.

What else do they have? The wind blows when it feels like blowing. The sun don't shine at night, and hardly at all here in Pittsburgh.

While I am a decrepit 72 years old and don't have to worry about the Long Term in any event, I'd put my faith in ENGINEERING. The kind of engineering that makes much of the Netherlands able to live below sea level, and produces drinking water from the sea, albeit at significant cost, and allows people to live in Phoenix, which is naturally uninhabitable. And so on.

The Great Climate Catastrophe will happen gradually. No one is going to drown due to rising sea levels (although the alarmists keep pointing to that mega-block of ice in Antarctica). "We" will deal with the problems as they come. Nobody is going to let Miami or Manhattan go under water - although90% of the country would give that eventuality a thumbs up.

They want to mandate the Covid vaccine on you to keep billions alive, but in the same breath, whinging that there's too many people killing the planet

Alarmists are a special breed.

If, as you state, you do NOT have such a list, what is the source of the list you use to make your patently obvious red herring?

Here is a short list for you. Try this one on for size.

1) Completely eliminate the production of GHGs by human industrial activities

If, as you state, you do NOT have such a list, what is the source of the list you use to make your patently obvious red herring?

The worlds biotic health is improving with the much-needed CO2 increase in the atmosphere, from NASA

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds​

April 2016

Excerpt:

From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions. The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

LINK

=====

Oh, this is awful news for planet hating warmist/alarmists to swallow!

mpMnRZh.png

Meanwwhile, if you really believe the nonsense you present, then start by leading the way ~ stop your personal emission of GHGs.

Someone like Kerry who rides a private jet across the world to get into a private limo to attend an international conference with scores of others whom also traveled the same ways, emitting "greenhouse gases", to then claim in alarm something needs to be done about ACC/AGW lacks a lot of credibility.

Let's see if you can understand how small CO2 is in the "heat" budget with this revealing chart?

===

Next, here is the radical change in downwelling radiation at the surface from the increase in CO2 that is supposed to be driving the “CLIMATE EMERGENCY!!!” What I’ve shown is the change that in theory would have occurred from the changes in CO2 from 1750 to the present, and the change that in theory will occur in the future when CO2 increases from its present value to twice the 1750 value. This is using the generally accepted (although not rigorously derived) claim that the downwelling radiation change from a doubling of CO2 is 3.5 watts per square metre (W/m2). The purpose is to show how small these CO2-caused changes are compared to total downwelling radiation.

1645205606792.png

The changes in downwelling radiation from the increase in CO2 are trivially small, lost in the noise …

LINK

Last edited:
American CO2 output isn't the problem right now, it's China's. Twice as much as ours in 2016, and most likely more than twice as much by now.

View attachment 592180
Except CO2 is not the problem. It's a red herring of sorts.

Here's some numbers on CO2;

Currently @400 ppm = Parts Per Million.
Expressed as a fraction 400/1,000,000
Fraction reduced per method one should have learned in K-12;
1/2,500

The unproven hypothesis of ACC/AGW* is that if the other 2,499 parts of nitrogen, oxygen, argon, etc. are at 70 degrees F, and one introduces the one part CO2 at 75 degrees F into that 2,499, then that 2,499 will increase in temperature by another degree or three.

Does this make logic and realistic sense to you, or any others reading here?

* ACC = Anthropogenic (human caused) Climate Change
AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming

Climate change isn't going to cause our extinction. It'll probably just be pretty inconvenient. Technology will save us though.

Climate change has made extinct most of the speices that have ever lived on earth. Like 90+% .

Climate change is the norm for earth. It has been going on for billions of years.

Probably it will be the demise of humans some time in the future. However, humans are very adaptable and will be some of the last to go.

Man made climate change is a scam. There is no real evidence that man has changed the climate. Just some silly non scientific correlations, bogus computer models and a whole lot of falsified and cherry picked data. We even have the principle climate scientist admitting they have falsified data in the past.

View attachment 592180

China doesnt matter to the climate crusaders. To them, it doesn't exist.

Its fascinating to see them with all their go-to lists here in the US as if China building 2-3 coal plants/month doesn't matter. And btw.........China will be doing it for nine more years to 2030. d0y

So to anybody with half a brain, doing any emissions lowering in the US will.........obviously......have no significant impact whatsoever on the "real and present danger" without us building a 35,000 foot dome over the US.

Most people understand this which is why so many people are not that concerned about climate change..........and certainly voters. :spinner:Too, the folks that make energy policy don't give a shit.......that too is clear.

All the climate crusaders have are talking points and billboard sayings........for 20 years now. Sucks to be them.:2up:

Spot on........

Voters have sniffed the ruse out which is why there has been zero legislation for 20 years on climate change.
They get that paying 10-15% of your income on energy costs is they while the green investors get to line their pockets on a swindle concept/theory.

You'll notice.......all the climate crusaders in here speak only about the "science" as if there is no political connection. Hysterical. Religious k00ks. Their science has no route to their fancy nutter solutions.....which as laughable. Trolling these mofus in here is a damn sport for me.......:popcorn:

The problem is everyone's CO2 output. Arguing that we needn't work on ours because someone else's is worse is a stupid copout. Let me repeat: stupid copout.

Forum List

Back