Apache and Chief Crazy Horse

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Watched both of these in the past few days and both enjoyable in their own way. Both were notable for not featuring any native american actors.

Burt Lancaster is the Apache of the title and Victoe Mature played Crazy Horse. Both did a fine job but I doubt that such casting would be permitted to day and rightly so.

Apache is perhaps the better film, better scripted and better acted. Crazy Horse is ok but suffers from the need to insert a white guy in the story who is a friend of Crazy Horse. I dont think that such a character exiisted.

Many of the period westerns felt the need to have a white guy playing a heeroic role in films that were generally sympathetic to native americans. In fact thee were so many of them that I cant see how they got shafted by the US government.

Dances WIth Wolves is perhaps the most recent example of this. Even Iron Eyes Cody was an Italian pretending to be authentic.

Maybe it is time for these films to be remade with honest scripts and realistic characters. I am sure that there is a market for it and the talent is there to make it happen.

Donna Reed should not be playing "Indian" princesses.

Watched both of these in the past few days and both enjoyable in their own way. Both were notable for not featuring any native american actors.

Burt Lancaster is the Apache of the title and Victoe Mature played Crazy Horse. Both did a fine job but I doubt that such casting would be permitted to day and rightly so.

Apache is perhaps the better film, better scripted and better acted. Crazy Horse is ok but suffers from the need to insert a white guy in the story who is a friend of Crazy Horse. I dont think that such a character exiisted.

Many of the period westerns felt the need to have a white guy playing a heeroic role in films that were generally sympathetic to native americans. In fact thee were so many of them that I cant see how they got shafted by the US government.

Dances WIth Wolves is perhaps the most recent example of this. Even Iron Eyes Cody was an Italian pretending to be authentic.

Maybe it is time for these films to be remade with honest scripts and realistic characters. I am sure that there is a market for it and the talent is there to make it happen.

Indians were all bigots

I see no cross dressing in any of the tribes.

And all that male toxic bravery crap, it's got to go!

Last edited:

And females aren't Captain Marvel either commie.

And even with dyed hair, Burt Lancaster, a blued-eyed blond does not come across very well as an Indian. However, these movies were made in the 1950s when westerns were fantasies only loosely based on real life. This movie like most westerns of this era stereotyped Native Americans. The star power of Burt Lancaster would make most any movie a box office success and that was true for this movie.

I hardly remember Apache and thus it does not rank very high with me when it comes to the best westerns.

The real Massai

1654709875402.png

Last edited:
And even with dyed hair, Burt Lancaster, a blued-eyed blond does not come across very well as an Indian. However, these movies were made in the 1950s when westerns were fantasies only loosely based on real life. The star power of Burt Lancaster would make most any movie a box office success.

I hardly remember this movie and thus it does not rank very high with me when it comes to the best westerns.

The real Massai

View attachment 655429
Both films were made in 1955 I think. Maasi doesnt look much like Burt does he.I think you can still enjoy these movies on a rainy afternoon. i dont think you would pay to watch them in the cinema.

Both films were made in 1955 I think. Maasi doesnt look much like Burt does he.I think you can still enjoy these movies on a rainy afternoon. i dont think you would pay to watch them in the cinema.
The American Film Institute ranks Lancaster as # 19 of the greatest male stars of classic Hollywood cinema. He was nominated as best actor 4 times and won once. He almost always played strong male leads, fearless cowboy, action adventure heroes, as well as ruthless businessmen, etc. He had interesting life and career.

1654711461937.png

Forum List

Back