AP fact checks liberal claims about their wealth envy

We are in a recession because people are DELEVERAGING.

A big motive for that DELEVERAGING is the fact that people realize that since their real estate isn't worth as much as it was was, their DEBT TO ICOME ratios are way out of line.

My net worth dropped about $50K, according to the RE market.

Given that my house was a rather large part of my retirement nest-egg, even though my income really has not changed, my financial situation has changed.

Ergo, my spending habits have changed.

Multiply my experience and response to it by millions of Americans and you see the result -- a moribund national economy.

Throw in the current state of affairs in Europe, and we appear to be setting up for a world wide depression.

Enough people understand that and are responding to it (by de leveraging) thus giving us a worldwide tragedy of the commons.

OIh yeah, one more factor.

The cost of living (the real one, not the CPI) is rising at about a rate of 10% annually.

That means that people are growing poorer in REAL TERMS on top of having taken a serious hit in net worth, thanks to the real estate meltdown.

Last edited:
Funny...the AP has made a number of significant changes to their "fact check" since it was originally published. Have these changes made their way into the copies that Freepers is handing out?

Ah yes, those poor poor wealthy folks.

They pay taxes and therefore aren't quite wealthy enough.

My heart bleeds for them, it really does.

lol...

and thus why people are saying that Obamas speech was promoting class warfare.

Certainly, based on YOUR post....YOU can not deny that he is promoting class warfare.

Just as long as you have no issue with us discriminating against you. were good.

We are in a recession because people are DELEVERAGING.

A big motive for that DELEVERAGING is the fact that people realize that since their real estate isn't worth as much as it was was, their DEBT TO ICOME ratios are way out of line.

My net worth dropped about $50K, according to the RE market.

Given that my house was a rather large part of my retirement nest-egg, even though my income really has not changed, my financial situation has changed.

Ergo, my spending habits have changed.

Multiply my experience and response to it by millions of Americans and you see the result -- a moribund national economy.

Throw in the current state of affairs in Europe, and we appear to be setting up for a world wide depression.

Enough people understand that and are responding to it (by de leveraging) thus giving us a worldwide tragedy of the commons.

OIh yeah, one more factor.

The cost of living (the real one, not the CPI) is rising at about a rate of 10% annually.

That means that people are growing poorer in REAL TERMS on top of having taken a serious hit in net worth, thanks to the real estate meltdown.

IU agree with much of what you say.

However, the cost of living comment....I disagree....I have noticed my grocery bills have been stable over the past year.....a slight increase...but not 10%....maybe smarter shopping (on sale items and generic brands)...but regardless, cost to me has not increased.

However, I am noticing an increase here in the NYC on things run by the local and state government...bridge tolls increased by 50% from 8 to 12 this past week.....sin taxes have bbeen outrageous...

But yes, a perfect storm is brewing....no doubt about it.

Forum List

Back