Anyone who has been raised on a particular Faith, do you think you would have gravitated to your current beliefs eventually?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I worked with a guy years ago who was Muslim and we had a conversation about religion in general. He had his beliefs and I respected him for being so forthcoming ( I wasn't very religious at the time, though I prayed enough as a kid), so I'd listen to him politely as I do find culture and religion to be an interesting subject.

As it were, one day when he was speaking to me about his beliefs, I told him "the issue about religion is that you accept what you are born into" He surprised me when said, "this is true".

When I asked him "do you think you would have become Muslim if he hadn't been born into it" and he said, he wasn't sure, but he imagines he would have eventually.

So I ask you all on here "do you think you would have gravitated to your current Faith, if you had been born into some other world view"?

I was born into Christianity but now I hold a different view of faith. I suspect in recent decades there have been many who have done that. Which is not to say Christianity is wrong, and it is likely that some were not born into Christianity but have gravitated to it.

Probably not.

Catholicism is not aggressive at converting people in the United States.

I was raised Roman Catholic. As I got older, my views and beliefs shifted.

I'm now Agnostic.

I can allow for the existence of a supreme being. I just think it's really arrogant for any religion to think they're the one's who've gotten it right...

Last edited:

I'm not Agnostic.

I can allow for the existence of a supreme being. I just think it's really arrogant for any religion to think they're the one's who've gotten it right...

I don't know if I would use the word arrogant, but I do think it's "overly optimistic", even naive to not at least consider other belief systems as being potentially valid.

Ultimately, in many ways I chose my Faith on my own, through my own exploration. I am at least somewhat aware of other beliefs and I enjoy knowing that others find peace in their Faith as well.

I worked with a guy years ago who was Muslim and we had a conversation about religion in general. He had his beliefs and I respected him for being so forthcoming ( I wasn't very religious at the time, though I prayed enough as a kid), so I'd listen to him politely as I do find culture and religion to be an interesting subject.

As it were, one day when he was speaking to me about his beliefs, I told him "the issue about religion is that you accept what you are born into" He surprised me when said, "this is true".

When I asked him "do you think you would have become Muslim if he hadn't been born into it" and he said, he wasn't sure, but he imagines he would have eventually.

So I ask you all on here "do you think you would have gravitated to your current Faith, if you had been born into some other world view"?
I did. After much searching and study.

I studied all religions. They aren't as different as some would believe and/or would have others believe.

I'm not Agnostic.

I don't know if I would use the word arrogant, but I do think it's "overly optimistic", even naive to not at least consider other belief systems as being potentially valid.

Ultimately, in many ways I chose my Faith on my own, through my own exploration. I am at least somewhat aware of other beliefs and I enjoy knowing that others find peace in their Faith as well.
C.S. Lewis wrote:

"..I have been asked to tell you what Christians believe, and I am going to begin by telling you one thing that Christians do not need to believe. If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake. If you are a Christian, you are free to think that all these religions, even the queerest ones, contain at least some hint of the truth. When I was an atheist I had to try to persuade myself that most of the human race have always been wrong about the question that mattered to them most; when I became a Christian I was able to take a more liberal view. But, of course, being a Christian does mean thinking that where Christianity differs from other religions, Christianity is right and they are wrong. As in arithmetic — there is only one right answer to a sum, and all other answers are wrong: but some of the wrong answers are much nearer being right than others..."

So I don't have to believe that all the other religions are wrong. And I don't. I see them as more similar than different.

I'm now Agnostic.

I had to revise my post. I accidentally wrote "I'm not Agnostic".

Fact is, I am...

C.S. Lewis has a point.

When you're an atheist, you have to believe that every religion is run by swindlers and liars and those who believe in religion are fools. I think that belief makes atheists bitter and hostile.

When you're an atheist, you have to believe that every religion is run by swindlers and liars and those who believe in religion are fools.
That's not true. A lot of good people were just indoctrinated from birth. The swindlers and liars are the ones profiting from the indoctrination.

just wondering, how would someone gravitate to their present beliefs if not from some other world view if not still a participant of that original view ...

if there were no written religious documents would everyone gravitate to the same point of view, are there any just spoken, visual religions on planet Earth today - as the ancient religion of antiquity.

or to have gravitated from anywhere to the point of a pure state to enable their spirit to be set free for admission to the eternal Everlasting. the final proof for their religion.

just wondering, how would someone gravitate to their present beliefs if not from some other world view if not still a participant of that original view ...

if there were no written religious documents would everyone gravitate to the same point of view, are there any just spoken, visual religions on planet Earth today - as the ancient religion of antiquity.

or to have gravitated from anywhere to the point of a pure state to enable their spirit to be set free for admission to the eternal Everlasting. the final proof for their religion.
If you are an example of what it is like to be "set free," no thanks.

You attack the faith of others. That's not a good look.

you make outlandish accusations to accommodate your own warped sense of faith you use to distort the facts of evidence uninterrupted by recorded history of the desert religions.

1593919525443.png

what century has christianity not been at the forefront of persecution and victimization of the innocent - bing.

you make outlandish accusations to accommodate your own warped sense of faith you use to distort the facts of evidence uninterrupted by recorded history of the desert religions.

View attachment 359486

what century has christianity not been at the forefront of persecution and victimization of the innocent - bing.
You prove my point with every post you make. :lol:

Anyone who has been raised on a particular Faith, do you think you would have gravitated to your current beliefs eventually?

what have your replies contributed to the thread subject -

no, I am not a christian, you are a good example of why that is an awful religion that warps peoples mind in a very bad way - your macabre illustration is a reflection of yourself and no one else.

no, I am not a christian, you are a good example of why that is an awful religion that warps peoples mind in a very bad way - your macabre illustration is a reflection of yourself and no one else.
Why don't you ask the OP if he feels like I contributed to the topic?

I certainly didn't think your anti-religion post was on topic.

Why don't you ask the OP if he feels like I contributed to the topic?

my response was to your off topic response to my post ....

you really need help using that photo as a backdrop for anything. .it represents something you have no understanding for whatsoever.

I was raised going to church but realized christianity is a scam and full of lies so stopped going when I was about 13yo. I've read and studied various religions and gods but have never considered to back religion.

Forum List

Back