Anti-Facebook Agitators See Their Moment Under Biden

I don't like Facebook. I don't have an account with them and never will. I value my privacy.

I have believed that Facebook and other social media companies should be regulated for a very long time. In the Obama years I supported forcing social media to be regulated the same as a utility. Unfortunately the republicans didn't agree. So it didn't happen.

Now, we might have a chance to get some proper regulation to social media and hopefully breakup the big monopoly that Facebook, Google and a couple others have become.

I don't know how good of a chance there will be. Biden while says he is for breaking up Facebook and regulating them, has brought some Facebook employees into his transition team. So while he says one thing, he did the opposite.

It will take time to see what happens.

Disagree.

That you don’t have a FB account yet are able to access all manner of websites, access news, information, and entertainment, completely undermines the argument that such social media should be subject to government regulation.

I likewise have no FB account; millions of people have no FB account and are able to have comprehensive access to internet resources.

Let’s hope the Biden Administration is too occupied repairing the damage left by Trump to waste time and effort on this non-issue.

russia had a huge disinformation campaign on Facebook and other social media in 2016 and 2020. They had so much influence on getting people to not vote, trump won.

I don't believe that other nations should have that influence on our elections or government.

Facebook is a gate to the world. Don´t take it away. And if you value privacy, you cannot go on line.

Facebook is nothing but a propaganda tool and an ad driver. I left them a long time ago and never looked back. Nice not having any drama.
If you don´t have shits reporting you, everything is fine.

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
I’m fine without Facebook already. I don’t see a need for it. If I want to talk with someone, I can call or text them.
People there can post their opinion as they like, because they stay among their kind.

I don't like Facebook. I don't have an account with them and never will. I value my privacy.

I have believed that Facebook and other social media companies should be regulated for a very long time. In the Obama years I supported forcing social media to be regulated the same as a utility. Unfortunately the republicans didn't agree. So it didn't happen.

Now, we might have a chance to get some proper regulation to social media and hopefully breakup the big monopoly that Facebook, Google and a couple others have become.

I don't know how good of a chance there will be. Biden while says he is for breaking up Facebook and regulating them, has brought some Facebook employees into his transition team. So while he says one thing, he did the opposite.

Disagree.

That you don’t have a FB account yet are able to access all manner of websites, access news, information, and entertainment, completely undermines the argument that such social media should be subject to government regulation.

I likewise have no FB account; millions of people have no FB account and are able to have comprehensive access to internet resources.

Let’s hope the Biden Administration is too occupied repairing the damage left by Trump to waste time and effort on this non-issue.

russia had a huge disinformation campaign on Facebook and other social media in 2016 and 2020. They had so much influence on getting people to not vote, trump won.

I don't believe that other nations should have that influence on our elections or government.
Question. Who witnessed any of that alleged disinformation posts?

You sure seem awfully concerned about something you say you aren't interested in.

The lies, conspiracy theories and all the rest that are happening on Facebook do concern me.

russia had a disinformation campaign on social media in the 2016 election and the 2020 elections.

I don't believe that other nations should have any influence on our elections or our politics.

Nobody was influenced because a couple people posted some meme's.

Always mistakenly assume you to be a Facebook use. I too, do not face book. At the same time I am not in favor of them being regulated by the government on speech grounds. They are private enterprise and to me what they tolerate is and should be up to them, under the theory, they will suffer by users going somewhere else in the market place if they screw it up. I do not like what they allowed as far as false advertising, and political propaganda, but congress is the last people I would trust to regulate them.

People make the mistake of assuming things about me. It's always a terrible choice to assume anything about me. I'm about as abnormal and non conforming as they come.

First I thought facebook was a fad and I have never followed fads. Then it stuck around and I learn how people's privacy was being violated by Facebook and many other problems.

My career made me have to protect my privacy more than most people. I got tired of people calling me all hours of the day and night. I got tired of people following me to hotels when I'm working. I got tired of total strangers coming up to me, knowing how I am and wanting either me to help make them famous or open doors for them.

So no, I never signed up for Facebook or twitter or any of those social media sites.

I agree they are private companies but private companies have to follow our laws. Private companies have a responsibility to their customers and society to not allow a lot of the things that go on in Facebook.

Such as allowing russia to wage a disinformation campaign and influence our elections. They influenced enough people in 2016 to not vote that trump squeaked into the White House. I don't want a company to allow russia or any other nation to have any influence in our elections or government. I don't want russia or any nation or outlet to have a platform to spew lies and conspiracies as has been happening on Facebook and other social media outlets.

Finally, I believe in competition. Capitalism that isn't properly regulated creates monopolies. Monopolies are very bad for the economy. It destroys competition, innovation and development. It creates a small group of very rich and powerful people. Which destroys democracy, free market capitalism and the economy.

Always mistakenly assume you to be a Facebook use. I too, do not face book. At the same time I am not in favor of them being regulated by the government on speech grounds. They are private enterprise and to me what they tolerate is and should be up to them, under the theory, they will suffer by users going somewhere else in the market place if they screw it up. I do not like what they allowed as far as false advertising, and political propaganda, but congress is the last people I would trust to regulate them.

People make the mistake of assuming things about me. It's always a terrible choice to assume anything about me. I'm about as abnormal and non conforming as they come.

First I thought facebook was a fad and I have never followed fads. Then it stuck around and I learn how people's privacy was being violated by Facebook and many other problems.

My career made me have to protect my privacy more than most people. I got tired of people calling me all hours of the day and night. I got tired of people following me to hotels when I'm working. I got tired of total strangers coming up to me, knowing how I am and wanting either me to help make them famous or open doors for them.

So no, I never signed up for Facebook or twitter or any of those social media sites.

I agree they are private companies but private companies have to follow our laws. Private companies have a responsibility to their customers and society to not allow a lot of the things that go on in Facebook.

Such as allowing russia to wage a disinformation campaign and influence our elections. They influenced enough people in 2016 to not vote that trump squeaked into the White House. I don't want a company to allow russia or any other nation to have any influence in our elections or government. I don't want russia or any nation or outlet to have a platform to spew lies and conspiracies as has been happening on Facebook and other social media outlets.

Finally, I believe in competition. Capitalism that isn't properly regulated creates monopolies. Monopolies are very bad for the economy. It destroys competition, innovation and development. It creates a small group of very rich and powerful people. Which destroys democracy, free market capitalism and the economy.

How were they influenced? All anyone came up with was someone posting a few meme's.

Facebook is a gate to the world. Don´t take it away. And if you value privacy, you cannot go on line.
Doubt anybody will take away your favorite platform. But if Section 230 goes down the tubes, it will go away mostly on it's own, morphing to something, in order to maintain a profitable business model.

I agree.

Section 230 is very much needed. Facebook and other social media can't be responsible for everything millions of people say on their sites.

It's impossible.

It is possible to separate United States Facebook from France Facebook or Russia Facebook etc.

I don't think other nations should have the power to influence our elections or our government. Nor do I think they should have the power to spread lies and conspiracy theories.

You sure seem awfully concerned about something you say you aren't interested in.

The lies, conspiracy theories and all the rest that are happening on Facebook do concern me.

russia had a disinformation campaign on social media in the 2016 election and the 2020 elections.

I don't believe that other nations should have any influence on our elections or our politics.
China and Iran are also said to have hit social media hard.

Facebook is nothing but a propaganda tool and an ad driver. I left them a long time ago and never looked back. Nice not having any drama.

I’m fine without Facebook already. I don’t see a need for it. If I want to talk with someone, I can call or text them.
People there can post their opinion as they like, because they stay among their kind.
Among their “kind”? Okay, then, you keep your BS to yourself and I’ll stay off Facebook

Ok I don't want them to have any influence on our elections or government either. Notice what I said. I don't think any other nation should have any influence on our elections or politics.

Ok I don't want them to have any influence on our elections or government either. Notice what I said. I don't think any other nation should have any influence on our elections or politics.

I think this is the third time I've asked. How did they influence anyone?

Sorry, I read your post wrong, long day today.

russia had a huge disinformation campaign on Facebook

No need to worry about that anymore. Now the Dems simply defraud the elections to make sure that their candidate wins. This year it was the presidential election. In two years, it will be extended to all of them. Legitimate votes by people influenced through Facebook will no longer matter.

Among their “kind”? Okay, then, you keep your BS to yourself and I’ll stay off Facebook
You can stay off what you want. I don´t care.

But wait.....If you don't have an account with FB how do you even know what is on it? Are you just going by what the MSM is telling you? :D

Finally, I believe in competition. Capitalism that isn't properly regulated creates monopolies. Monopolies are very bad for the economy. It destroys competition, innovation and development. It creates a small group of very rich and powerful people. Which destroys democracy, free market capitalism and the economy
The main question what 'properly regulated' would mean. And who should regulate and define what is a monopoly and what is not? Government, I suppose. But too much of government also means destroying democracy, free market capitalism and the economy.

They use A.I now which is worse.
They just could apply a simple word filter. They do, but not for opinions.

They use A.I now which is worse.
They just could apply a simple word filter. They do, but not for opinions.

The problem in what they are doing now is censoring any opinion that goes against there agenda. Which is why people are pissed off at the tech giants. Censorship leads to tyranny.

Forum List

Back