Antarctic meltwater could dramatically slow overturning current

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
N/A
Just as fresh melt water in the Arctic is weakening the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Current (AMOC), Antarctic meltwater threatens the Antarctic Bottom Water (AABW) current. The globes various meridional overturning currents are responsible for an enormous amount of the nutrients and oxygen in the equatorial ocean and for transfer of cold water from the poles to the tropics. Their collapse would result in heating of the tropical oceans and loss of dissolved oxygen on which all marine animal life depends. Historically, these systems are very slow to respond and recover and these effects could last for centuries.

ABSTRACT
The abyssal ocean circulation is a key component of the global meridional overturning circulation, cycling heat, carbon, oxygen and nutrients throughout the world ocean1,2. The strongest historical trend observed in the abyssal ocean is warming at high southern latitudes2–4, yet it is unclear what processes have driven this warming, and whether this warming is linked to a slowdown in the ocean’s overturning circulation. Furthermore, attributing change to specific drivers is difficult owing to limited measurements, and because coupled climate models exhibit biases in the region5–7. In addition, future change remains uncertain, with the latest coordinated climate model projections not accounting for dynamic ice-sheet melt. Here we use a transient forced high-resolution coupled ocean–sea-ice model to show that under a high-emissions scenario, abyssal warming is set to accelerate over the next 30 years. We find that meltwater input around Antarctica drives a contraction of Antarctic Bottom Water (AABW), opening a pathway that allows warm Circumpolar Deep Water greater access to the continental shelf. The reduction in AABW formation results in warming and ageing of the abyssal ocean, consistent with recent measurements. In contrast, projected wind and thermal forcing has little impact on the properties, age and volume of AABW. These results highlight the critical importance of Antarctic meltwater in setting the abyssal ocean overturning, with implications for global ocean biogeochemistry and climate that could last for centuries.

Open access - no paywall

"Could"....."Might"....."May"

Sheldon.gif

I have an intimate familiarity with vague weasel words, which are rife in the lexicon of you warmers.....It's one of the leading indicators that you're full of shit.
As I said, you obviously have no familiarity with even basic science.

If you'd care for a demonstration, tell us some mainstream science theory that you believe to be correct and we'll look up some studies and see what sort of language they use.

There is a reason you don't quote the projections from actual scientists. It would make you look like the fool you are.
You're a bed wetting rube

In July 2021, Antarctic sea ice covered 6.32 million square miles, which was 160,000 square miles above average in the 43-year record of the ice sheet, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

waterboy.gif

As I said, you obviously have no familiarity with even basic science.

If you'd care for a demonstration, tell us some mainstream science theory that you believe to be correct and we'll look up some studies and see what sort of language they use.
I'm familiar with science too....You warmers don't have much of that at all, that why you need to scarmonger with vagaries and weasel words.

I'm familiar with science too....You warmers don't have much of that at all, that why you need to scarmonger with vagaries and weasel words.
Once again, your statements CLEARLY indicate you have no familiarity with even basic science. Surely you have caught one of the dozens of times I have pointed out that there are no proofs in the natural sciences, only evidence. And evidence does not allow one to make absolute statements. It forces you to use what you want to call weasel words. Open a book. Learn something before sticking your foot repeatedly into your mouth

I want all the ice to melt so I can build an ark and put two of every animals on it.

Except for spiders. I hate those fucking things.
What is it with the fear of spiders? My best friend since 13 is a walking mountain. Runs like a little girl when he sees one screaming kill it Evenflow. Those spiders seem to love the canvas we cover our boat with. Seems like my typical day starts with him running around the boat and me playing wack a mole with spiders.

Forum List

Back