Another , it aint his fault story

Not FEDERAL spending. The States need to get their acts together. And I do in fact vote yes on any and all bonds in my district. And no none of my kids even go to school anymore.

ITA with the federal funding part. How ever I refuse to vote for any more bonds until the bleeding due to corrupt leaders in both admin and elected officials has been drastically cut back.

Why is it that the local school district here gets around $9000 a year per student and can't seem to get the job done but the best private school (Waldorf of Portland), that charges about that, have 95% of their students not only graduate high school but go on to 4 yr degrees. Part of it is the inability of the schools to adapt to the proven science of how children learn. They commonly teach in ways that the brain can't absorb as much. They push reading and writing earlier and earlier. When studies show that if you wait until the child is around 8 to start 'formal' lessons in reading and writing the child excels beyond normal benchmarks by the age of 10.

That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to issues I see with in the schools.

Don't forget the point is they claim the school should be responsible to know his level of depression, his medical prescriptions and whether he takes them properly and his overall mental State. In other words his family just dumped on the school everything that is, in fact, their responsibility.

I don't think that's quite what this kid's family is doing. As one of his sisters said, "We just want to know what happened before that incident to see what made him do what police say he did."

I don't think they're blaming the school or the police for what happened; really what I get from the article is that they're grieving, and that some of the statements they're making and questions they're asking are simply stemming from regret and confusion -- they just wish that this hadn't happened and don't understand some of the things that are being said about the incident.

They hear "suicide by cop," and they don't understand it -- he wasn't suicidal prior to this incident. They wonder what provoked him. The staff at his school knew of his psychological issues, and they wonder, did anyone see him in the hours or minutes before he took up that bat? Was he agitated, acting irrationally? Did something happen that caused a visible reaction in this kid's demeanor or behavior -- something that could have served as a warning, such that an intervention would have been possible and the incident might have been prevented?

These aren't unreasonable questions, and I don't necessarily see them as being linked to blame-seeking -- just a need for understanding. The facts do seem to show that there was nothing else the officer could have done other than fire that shot, but it's likely going to take the family some time to reconcile that.

Part of it is the inability of the schools to adapt to the proven science of how children learn. They commonly teach in ways that the brain can't absorb as much. They push reading and writing earlier and earlier. When studies show that if you wait until the child is around 8 to start 'formal' lessons in reading and writing the child excels beyond normal benchmarks by the age of 10.

I could read at age 2, and I wasn't pushed to learn; I was just given access to books and was read to often (there are many photos of me as a wee one, sitting in the lap of some family member with a book spread out across my lap, my gaze directed at the book and a look of concentration on my face). I distinctly remember lessons on the alphabet and simple words in nursery school, and reading and writing came easily to me in elementary school (and beyond).

I'm not arguing, but I'm curious - because it's hard for me to imagine refraining from teaching reading and writing until a child is 8 years old (that's what? Second or third grade?) - which sorts of teaching methods have been shown to be in conflict with the way children learn, and what are the "formal" types of lessons that studies show should be delayed until such a late age?

Incidentally, in my public elementary school, starting in the 1st grade, students were grouped by reading level and given separate instruction accordingly. Developmental and learning differences seemed to be accounted for by this; lessons were adapted to be the most beneficial to each student according to his or her capacities and skills. But every student received some kind of formal instruction...

But I don't see the need to be so harsh and judgmental about the family for asking questions, or even for making stupid comments in a moment of great pain.

I dont have a problem with being harsh in questioning the family during their time of grief.

Maybe they should look inward as to WHY the kid ambushed the cop in the first place. If the kid DID have mental problems then it is up to the family to keep everyone notified.

Obviously the family failed this kid and are continuing to do so by blaming everyone ELSE but themselves.

The apple never falls too far from the tree.

Obviously the family failed this kid and are continuing to do so by blaming everyone ELSE but themselves.
It's not obvious except to someone projecting his own hatred and resentment onto them.

Let a reporter stick a microphone in your face at the moment some horrible tragedy befalls you, and see how well you react

The apple never falls too far from the tree.
Neither do the nuts.

It's not obvious except to someone projecting his own hatred and resentment onto them.

Let a reporter stick a microphone in your face at the moment some horrible tragedy befalls you, and see how well you react

Neither do the nuts.

Funny how it is ok for you to be judgemental towards me yet I am not allowed to be judgemental of this family....Can we say hypocrite?

And this has NOTHING to do with hatred but seeing as my extended family and I have gone thru something similar to this I can assure you I know what I am talking about. My family while hurt and disgusted knew who was to blame and that was us. We vowed to never let this happen again.

If this famliy REALLY had questions they could ask, however they CHOOSE to use a public format thus negating any smpathy I could have had for them. To use a public medium is about placing blame NOT mearly questioning. This is about setting someone up for a lawsuit pure and simple!

And yes I have had a microphone stuck in my face during an emotional time and have handled it quite well. People DO have the option of not saying anything you know.

Somethings wrong here, If I knocked someone down with a baseball bat which in effect smashed the fucking gun he was going to shoot me with before I hit him with the bat but allowed him enough time time to unclip a backup gun and cock and fire it at me before I hit him again, I would say I was a retard,the rentacop is a fucking liar, unless of course further evidence is now at hand.

Somethings wrong here, If I knocked someone down with a baseball bat which in effect smashed the fucking gun he was going to shoot me with before I hit him with the bat but allowed him enough time time to unclip a backup gun and cock and fire it at me before I hit him again, I would say I was a retard,the rentacop is a fucking liar, unless of course further evidence is now at hand.

It did not do anything to either gun, go reread the story.

It did not do anything to either gun, go reread the story.

I read the thread, the gun failed for whatever reason, he couldn't shoot him the first time but he somehow managed to roll around and find another gun he had secreted on himself to shoot the homicidal maniac with a bat...I realise you are limited in intelligence but surely to fuck you can comprehend my gist?

I read the thread, the gun failed for whatever reason, he couldn't shoot him the first time but he somehow managed to roll around and find another gun he had secreted on himself to shoot the homicidal maniac with a bat...I realise you are limited in intelligence but surely to fuck you can comprehend my gist?

Wrong he never pulled his main gun, he pulled his back up. Try some reading comprehension.

Here we go.

The officer fell down dazed, and reached for the gun in his hip holster, but the clip fell out.

As the student came at him again, yelling obscenities and raising the bat above his head, Perry grabbed a semiautomatic handgun he carried as backup in an ankle holster. He fired one round, Dyer said.

Wrong he never pulled his main gun, he pulled his back up. Try some reading comprehension.

The officer fell down dazed, and reached for the gun in his hip holster, but the clip fell out.

As the student came at him again, yelling obscenities and raising the bat above his head, Perry grabbed a semiautomatic handgun he carried as backup in an ankle holster. He fired one round, Dyer said.

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh...look his gun broke.:rofl: :rofl:

I don't know about your town but Resource officers here are Cops, not hired security. They are regular police officers assigned to the schools. And they do not always JUST do resource Officer duty. They meet the same standards and do the same things all other police do.

I don't know about your town but Resource officers here are Cops, not hired security. They are regular police officers assigned to the schools. And they do not always JUST do resource Officer duty. They meet the same standards and do the same things all other police do.

Change the subject why don't you?

But the newspaper said...and we don't question what the newspaper says unless it involves the FLDS or some idiots in Miami scamming the FBI.

This is when tasering would be appropriate.

When you are in fear of your life, deadly force is authorized. When ambushed from behind by a large kid with a baseball bat and having already been hit in the head, the taser does not come to mind for an option.

I don't think that's quite what this kid's family is doing. As one of his sisters said, "We just want to know what happened before that incident to see what made him do what police say he did."

Didn't they know what he did before he went to school that day? They seem to act as if the cops did something beforehand to make junior grab his bat and run amok.

Forum List

Back