Americas Rape Culture

I don't know about that. Lol. You believe that women want to be raped? No, they do not. Rape "fantasies" are limited to men the women find attractive. That is not usually the way it goes in a real rape. Real rape is not pleasant, you get beaten and humiliated in most instances. It is a tactic of humiliation and degradation. It doesn't even have much to do with "sex" for most rapists.

I didn't say women "want to be raped."

What I wrote was, "women have rape fantasies."

From 1973 through 2008, nine surveys of women’s rape fantasies have been published. They show that about four in 10 women admit having them (31 to 57 percent) with a median frequency of about once a month. Actual prevalence of rape fantasies is probably higher because women may not feel comfortable admitting them.

For the latest report (Bivona, J. and J. Critelli. “The Nature of Women’s Rape Fantasies: An Analysis of Prevalence, Frequency, and Contents,” Journal of Sex Research (2009) 46:33), psychologists at North Texas University asked 355 college women: How often have you fantasized being overpowered/forced/raped by a man/woman to have oral/vaginal/anal sex against your will?

Sixty-two percent said they’d had at least one such fantasy. But responses varied depending on the terminology used. When asked about being “overpowered by a man,” 52 percent said they’d had that fantasy, the situation most typically depicted in women’s romance fiction. But when the term was “rape,” only 32 percent said they’d had the fantasy. These findings are in the same ballpark as previous reports.

Frequency of rape fantasies varied substantially. Thirty-eight percent of respondents never had them. Of those who did, 25 percent reported such fantasies less than once a year. Thirteen percent had them a few times a year, 11 percent once a month, 8 percent once a week, and 5 percent several times a week. (Twenty-one percent of the respondents said they’d been sexually assaulted in real life.)

Rape fantasies can be either erotic or aversive. In erotic fantasies, the woman thinks: “I’m being forced and I enjoy it.” In aversive fantasies, she thinks: “I’m being forced and I hate it.” Forty-five-percent of the women in the recent survey had fantasies that were entirely erotic. Nine percent were entirely aversive. And 46 percent were mixed.

What do rape fantasies mean? I believe they are no different from any other fantasies. They are neither wrong nor perverted. They imply nothing about one’s mental health or real-life sexual inclinations. They just happen, to somewhere around half of women. Rape or near-rape fantasies are surprisingly common.
I have rape fantasies. I read it was about control or something but do you know why? I feel pretty embarrassed about it and would never tell anyone (not even my boyfriend of 8 years). | The Angry Therapist

If you want to pay to see the primary source of the study, or if you are using a University database, knock yourself out. I'm not making this shit up. Sorry if facts contradict your feminist world view.
The nature of women's rape fantasies: an analysis of prevalence, frequency, and contents. - PubMed - NCBI

Do NOT put thoughts in my head, and I will not interpret what these fantasies mean.

If you say women have fantasies that "are limited to men the women find attractive," fine, I'll believe you.

But, in a civilized society, if you want to get rid of a "culture of rape," it's going to be an uphill battle when half of all women are fantasizing about it. . . .

One in twenty, several times a week?! :eek-52:

There you go, blaming women. Fantasies don't mean anything. Lol.

belarus-straw-figurine-of-a-woman-with-an-apron-and-headband-full-view_medium.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's the straw man? :D No straw man. You said yourself in your other post that things will not get better because women have "rape fantasies" in so many words. Lol. You must understand the difference between fantasy and reality.
Society and popular media in a free society caters to the will of the people.

You are telling me that I am "blaming" groups of people for the way things are.

It sounds more like you are whining or creating arguments about things being the way they are because reality may not conform to the way you think it should be. We need to investigate why things are the way they are, there are no good guys, there are no bad guys, just explanations for reality.

And you said that because women have "rape fantasies" that it would be difficult to change things. THAT is a strawman if I've ever heard one! Good grief, man! Lol.

Fine, you're right, I'm getting frustrated because I believe we are talking about the same thing, but I believe you are being too obtuse to pick up on that fact.

I don't know about that. Lol. You believe that women want to be raped? No, they do not. Rape "fantasies" are limited to men the women find attractive. That is not usually the way it goes in a real rape. Real rape is not pleasant, you get beaten and humiliated in most instances. It is a tactic of humiliation and degradation. It doesn't even have much to do with "sex" for most rapists.

From 1973 through 2008, nine surveys of women’s rape fantasies have been published. They show that about four in 10 women admit having them (31 to 57 percent) with a median frequency of about once a month. Actual prevalence of rape fantasies is probably higher because women may not feel comfortable admitting them.

For the latest report (Bivona, J. and J. Critelli. “The Nature of Women’s Rape Fantasies: An Analysis of Prevalence, Frequency, and Contents,” Journal of Sex Research (2009) 46:33), psychologists at North Texas University asked 355 college women: How often have you fantasized being overpowered/forced/raped by a man/woman to have oral/vaginal/anal sex against your will?

Sixty-two percent said they’d had at least one such fantasy. But responses varied depending on the terminology used. When asked about being “overpowered by a man,” 52 percent said they’d had that fantasy, the situation most typically depicted in women’s romance fiction. But when the term was “rape,” only 32 percent said they’d had the fantasy. These findings are in the same ballpark as previous reports.

Frequency of rape fantasies varied substantially. Thirty-eight percent of respondents never had them. Of those who did, 25 percent reported such fantasies less than once a year. Thirteen percent had them a few times a year, 11 percent once a month, 8 percent once a week, and 5 percent several times a week. (Twenty-one percent of the respondents said they’d been sexually assaulted in real life.)

Rape fantasies can be either erotic or aversive. In erotic fantasies, the woman thinks: “I’m being forced and I enjoy it.” In aversive fantasies, she thinks: “I’m being forced and I hate it.” Forty-five-percent of the women in the recent survey had fantasies that were entirely erotic. Nine percent were entirely aversive. And 46 percent were mixed.

What do rape fantasies mean? I believe they are no different from any other fantasies. They are neither wrong nor perverted. They imply nothing about one’s mental health or real-life sexual inclinations. They just happen, to somewhere around half of women. Rape or near-rape fantasies are surprisingly common.
I have rape fantasies. I read it was about control or something but do you know why? I feel pretty embarrassed about it and would never tell anyone (not even my boyfriend of 8 years). | The Angry Therapist

If you want to pay to see the primary source of the study, or if you are using a University database, knock yourself out. I'm not making this shit up. Sorry if facts contradict your feminist world view.
The nature of women's rape fantasies: an analysis of prevalence, frequency, and contents. - PubMed - NCBI

Do NOT put thoughts in my head, and I will not interpret what these fantasies mean.

If you say women have fantasies that "are limited to men the women find attractive," fine, I'll believe you.

But, in a civilized society, if you want to get rid of a "culture of rape," it's going to be an uphill battle when half of all women are fantasizing about it. . . .

I wonder how many MEN have "rape" fantasies? :D
Raping or being raped?

Both! Let's face the facts, it isn't women who are going around "raping" people in most instances, and the "rapist" is not aware of the woman's private fantasies, so you were the one with a strawman, I would say. ;)
fe424cdaca70b1adf53a958b650d46b85c9a2d5b054b97d38feea0fe03831b5f_1.jpg

I wonder how many MEN have "rape" fantasies? :D
Raping or being raped?

Both! Let's face the facts, it isn't women who are going around "raping" people in most instances, and the "rapist" is not aware of the woman's private fantasies, so you were the one with a strawman, I would say. ;)
fe424cdaca70b1adf53a958b650d46b85c9a2d5b054b97d38feea0fe03831b5f_1.jpg

Hey, when you are wrong, you are just wrong. :D

Commit to something. Is there a "rape culture" here in America or not? I say no. Not many women would want to be raped for real.
And every " Man" that I know reject men who rape and abuse woman.

I surely wouldn't be kind if someone plied my daughter with alcohol and took the initiative to have sex.

On the other hand I wouldn't want my daughter accusing someone of raping her after she got drunk and decided to have sex.

You are correct CL
I don't think there is rape "culture" as Tommy sees in America.

Commit to something. Is there a "rape culture" here in America or not? I say no. Not many women would want to be raped for real.
And every " Man" that I know reject men who rape and abuse woman.

I surely wouldn't be kind if someone plied my daughter with alcohol and took the initiative to have sex.

On the other hand I wouldn't want my daughter accusing someone of raping her after she got drunk and decided to have sex.

You are correct CL
I don't think there is rape "culture" as Tommy sees in America.
OTH, I think Dhara has made some good points.

Western culture and the media uses sex to promote sex in an aggressive form of hyper sadomasochism. It often crosses the line to please the masses and sends the public mixed messages.

You re an idiot. The responses on here indicate that there are issues in regards to attitudes to women.
Dress sensible,dont get drunk get in the kitchen. Sick.

No, the "attitude" is be responsible for your actions. If you get drunk and have sex, don't go around saying you were raped or assaulted when you suddenly decide you made a poor decision.
What if you were in no position to make a decision ?
Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!
Well done, you are getting it old fella.

I seem to remember a recent "scandal" involving sexual abuse involving some high officials in England. Hmm. Rape culture?

According to tommy it's ok if the upper crust rape people. They are the elite don't you know, so the rules don't apply to them. Typical progressive.

You re an idiot. The responses on here indicate that there are issues in regards to attitudes to women.
Dress sensible,dont get drunk get in the kitchen. Sick.

No, the "attitude" is be responsible for your actions. If you get drunk and have sex, don't go around saying you were raped or assaulted when you suddenly decide you made a poor decision.
Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

I seem to remember a recent "scandal" involving sexual abuse involving some high officials in England. Hmm. Rape culture?
Its still being investigated but everyone knows it happened. Whats your point ?

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

According to tommy it's ok if the upper crust rape people. They are the elite don't you know, so the rules don't apply to them. Typical progressive.
How have you worked out you stupid fucker ? Why dont you stay off the booze before posting, or ask your carer to sit with you to save making a dick of yourself.

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

How can you be such a hypocrite by "scolding" America when it is happening in your backyard. Clean your OWN house. Worry about what's happening in your own country. You and your opinions are pretty much irrelevant here in the United States.

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

How can you be such a hypocrite by "scolding" America when it is happening in your backyard. Clean your OWN house. Worry about what's happening in your own country. You and your opinions are pretty much irrelevant here in the United States.
Silly girl.The OP is quoting an American article. Its not a contest to see who has the better rape stats you know.

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

How have you worked out you stupid fucker ? Why dont you stay off the booze before posting, or ask your carer to sit with you to save making a dick of yourself.

Just giving you a taste of your own medicine old boy. You absolutely love to misrepresent what people say. So...how does it feel asshole?

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

Silly girl.The OP is quoting an American article. Its not a contest to see who has the better rape stats you know.

So, you were saying in your OP?

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

According to tommy the "great satan", the USA, is the source of all misery in the world. Violent crime is higher in the UK but he blissfully ignores that so that he can feel superior to us "provincials. He's a mindless twit who needs to feel better about himself so attacks an entire country to try and feel good.

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

What was the point of this whole thread then? Good grief!

Then it is....

Wait for it.....

Rape!

According to tommy the "great satan", the USA, is the source of all misery in the world. Violent crime is higher in the UK but he blissfully ignores that so that he can feel superior to us "provincials. He's a mindless twit who needs to feel better about himself so attacks an entire country to try and feel good.

Apparently so. He's worried about a "rape culture" in the US but is willing to just brush under the rug what is happening with his own.

Forum List

Back