America is a 'CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC,' not a Democracy...

Good luck. Our Public School System is a joke at this point. All the kids get now is 'How to be a good Communist Democrat' indoctrination. Most Americans are completely clueless on issues like this. But hey, nice try. Thanks.

Because all your opinions are viewed through ideology you have no opinions that really matter.

Not since April 1865

Ah ... another neo-confederate Turner Diaries devotee.

The United States has NEVER been a pure democracy. It is a democratic republic. Always has been.

Jeeez, what kind of revisionist history have you guys been reading?

Perhaps you're just a little too slow to understand that democracy is one component of a constitutional republic......they are not mutually exclusive.

And there is a difference between "democracy" and "a democracy", but you're too busy insulting people to think of that.

Feel free to provide historic examples of "a democracy".

Can't think of any.

You're the one who made the point, not me.

So then you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about......do you.

Not since April 1865

Ah ... another neo-confederate Turner Diaries devotee.

The United States has NEVER been a pure democracy. It is a democratic republic. Always has been.

Jeeez, what kind of revisionist history have you guys been reading?

Then our Constitution should say that, but it doesn't. It says it guarantees us a Republican form of government. Article 4 Sec. 4
We are a Republic

Constitutional republic and democracy are not mutually exclusive terms no matter what some crackpot tries to tell you.

There is a difference between a direct democracy and a representative democracy, but both are democracies.

Constitutional republic and democracy are not mutually exclusive terms no matter what some crackpot tries to tell you.

There is a difference between a direct democracy and a representative democracy, but both are democracies.

I wouldn't think this is an concept out of the reach of anyone who made it through 8th grade. But apparently it is still just a little too "tricky" for some.

Amazing.

Perhaps you're just a little too slow to understand that democracy is one component of a constitutional republic......they are not mutually exclusive.

And there is a difference between "democracy" and "a democracy", but you're too busy insulting people to think of that.

Can't think of any.

I do, but judging from your behavior here, trying to discuss anything with you on an adult level would be a waste of time.

I wouldn't think this is an concept out of the reach of anyone who made it through 8th grade. But apparently it is still just a little too "tricky" for some.

Amazing.

This is no longer amazing; this is now well established wingnuttery.

It is not surprising that conservatives want so badly for us not to be a democracy.
What's surprising to me is that people consider themselves conservatives and at the same time don't want their senators popularly elected.

They don't want that because they have a cockeyed notion that there is a conservative partisan advantage to the old way of electing Senators.

You can always trace a puzzling conservative 'principle' to some selfish ideological/partisan motive.

It is not surprising that conservatives want so badly for us not to be a democracy.

Amazing.

This is no longer amazing; this is now well established wingnuttery.

So what do they hope to gain from it? Are they advocating PURE democracy? That would virtually guarantee diminished influence for them .....

... and for those who really don't understand why, here is a little quick education on the matter...

Stupid premise.....as if the two were somehow mutually exclusive.

Oh I'm sorry the video left you "Discombobulated," but perhaps that's why you call yourself that.

Well I'm afraid it's already dumbed down so that a first grader could understand it so, you'll just have to be embarrassed for being so stupid.

They are not interchangeable either.

Can't think of any.

I do, but judging from your behavior here, trying to discuss anything with you on an adult level would be a waste of time.

There is no such thing as a pure democracy in terms of governing ... unless you're a nation of a dozen or so individuals. I believe democracy is more of an omnibus term encompassing ideals which are accommodated in a constitutional republic. A constitutional monarchy may also encompass democratic ideals. Our original republic limited the franchise to male landowners, of the white persuasion.

Can't think of any.

Clearly you don't........you made a theoretical comparison of something that has never existed.

What's surprising to me is that people consider themselves conservatives and at the same time don't want their senators popularly elected.

They don't want that because they have a cockeyed notion that there is a conservative partisan advantage to the old way of electing Senators.

You can always trace a puzzling conservative 'principle' to some selfish ideological/partisan motive.
Well, the one thing that imo Reagan truly drove home is that in terms of Liberal v. Conservative and post new deal America, it's the conservatives who base policy on an ideal that individuals will make decisions that are morally and economically correct, and liberals believe laws should compel people to do the right thing. This thread ... well consider the source. It has reasonable people like Mac and Nodog arguing. That's proof the OP is a fail in that it's premise is bullshite. You get caught up in terms that have had different nuances over centuries.

But it's an irony that the democrats tend to be anti democratic. The universal mandate being a recent example. The TPM is more anarchist than conservative. Then there's the crooks and charlatons behind freedom works. Hey, let's have 100 state pols decide senators because ... you can't trust people.

... and for those who really don't understand why, here is a little quick education on the matter...

Stupid premise.....as if the two were somehow mutually exclusive.

Oh I'm sorry the video left you "Discombobulated," but perhaps that's why you call yourself that.

Well I'm afraid it's already dumbed down so that a first grader could understand it so, you'll just have to be embarrassed for being so stupid.

Correct. At the close of the Philadelphia Convention, the democratic component was established in the lower chamber of the legislature. Majority tyranny was considered anathema to republicanism, so the voice of the people had its narrow and clearly-defined place.

Forum List

Back