Allan Holdsworth Top Five Scales

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
Almost done with a video explaining what they are. If you watched his instructional vid you should know, but still. Shawn Lane the fastest guitarist in world history and Allan Holdsworth the most sophisticated guitarist in world history. Dayem...20 years ago. Now both are gone. The amazing thing about Holdsworth is that studying his approach which requires a very complete understanding of music theory, in particular harmony, makes traditional playing so much easier.

Last edited:
I believe I completed the video. I have to proof read/see it one more time. The next task is coming up with a 2 minute song that sophisticated jazz fusion fans will find interesting for the audio track. I will try to incorporate a Holdsworth type chord voicing. For those familiar with music theory the concept is this. Know the main scales like Major, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Harmonic Major, Half-Whole Diminished and all the modes of those scales (and other scales) and map them out on the fretboard mentally. Then forget them and create melody and chords based on the result of the notes of a particular scale or mode of a scale in a particular key.

The amazing Shawn Lane improvising. "Jazz" is about improvising, live action.

Last edited:
I believe I completed the video. I have to proof read/see it one more time. The next task is coming up with a 2 minute song that sophisticated jazz fusion fans will find interesting for the audio track. I will try to incorporate a Holdsworth type chord voicing. For those familiar with music theory the concept is this. Know the main scales like Major, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Harmonic Major, Half-Whole Diminished and all the modes of those scales (and other scales) and map them out on the fretboard mentally. Then forget them and create melody and chords based on the result of the notes of a particular scale or mode of a scale in a particular key.

The amazing Shawn Lane improvising. "Jazz" is about improvising, live action.

The man ripped, for sure. But I always ask myself when I hear these fusion guys, does it sound musical? Is it impressive to anyone else other than musicians? Do chicks care? The answer is no to all of them. lol

By the way, you recording anything these days? I hope to have my new studio completed by the end of summer, and it's going to be SICK. I just got a new Stratocastor Elite not too long ago and a Mesa Boogie dual rectifier Recto-Verb 25 for tracking. Sounds incredible. Guitar is a great instrument, it's completely different from bass in my opinion. Hardly any of my bass skills are transferring to guitar, it's weird.

Good point. It comes down to an educated ear. But if you do find a broad who at least is willing to try to understand music, that is a great thing. The fat broad I took out to dinner last week did not comprehend what a 1-3-5 chord was on piano. Obviously the date was total fail. Anyhoo, Allan was about improv, awesome solo in front of critics...

Here is my latest "song." Talk to meh!

Forum List

Back