Alabama will execute a convict using nitrogen

Pure nitrogen doesn't raise your blood CO2.

Oh, is that what you think? And how do you suppose the carbon dioxide is going to be removed from the body?

CO2 binds with hemoglobin in the blood. It's only removed by the force of oxygen. Hemoglobin has a greater affinity for oxygen than carbon dioxide, and so it released the CO2 in order to receive the O2. Without oxygen, hemoglobin will not release the carbon dioxide, which will indeed build up just the same.

Oh, is that what you think? And how do you suppose the carbon dioxide is going to be removed from the body?

CO2 binds with hemoglobin in the blood. It's only removed by the force of oxygen. Hemoglobin has a greater affinity for oxygen than carbon dioxide, and so it released the CO2 in order to receive the O2. Without oxygen, hemoglobin will not release the carbon dioxide, which will indeed build up just the same.

Oh, is that what you think?

It's what I know.

And how do you suppose the carbon dioxide is going to be removed from the body?

It's removed when you breathe out.

CO2 binds with hemoglobin in the blood. It's only removed by the force of oxygen.

What's the "force of oxygen"? Link?

No mention of "force of oxygen" in your link.

I guess it was a little to technical for you. Okay, let's take a step back for the morons in the room.

Bohr effect - Wikipedia

The Bohr effect increases the efficiency of oxygen transportation through the blood. After hemoglobin binds to oxygen in the lungs due to the high oxygen concentrations, the Bohr effect facilitates its release in the tissues, particularly those tissues in most need of oxygen. When a tissue's metabolic rate increases, so does its carbon dioxide waste production. When released into the bloodstream, carbon dioxide forms bicarbonate and protons through the following reaction:

CO2 + H2O <=> HSC03 <=> H+ + HCO-3

Although this reaction usually proceeds very slowly, the enzyme carbonic anhydrase (which is present in red blood cells) drastically speeds up the conversion to bicarbonate and protons. This causes the pH of the blood to decrease, which promotes the dissociation of oxygen from haemoglobin, and allows the surrounding tissues to obtain enough oxygen to meet their demands. In areas where oxygen concentration is high, such as the lungs, binding of oxygen causes haemoglobin to release protons, which recombine with bicarbonate to eliminate carbon dioxide during exhalation. These opposing protonation and deprotonation reactions occur in equilibrium resulting in little overall change in blood pH.

Your body can't expel carbon dioxide without inhaling oxygen to trigger hemoglobin to release the CO2 its bound to.

I guess it was a little to technical for you. Okay, let's take a step back for the morons in the room.

Bohr effect - Wikipedia

The Bohr effect increases the efficiency of oxygen transportation through the blood. After hemoglobin binds to oxygen in the lungs due to the high oxygen concentrations, the Bohr effect facilitates its release in the tissues, particularly those tissues in most need of oxygen. When a tissue's metabolic rate increases, so does its carbon dioxide waste production. When released into the bloodstream, carbon dioxide forms bicarbonate and protons through the following reaction:

CO2 + H2O <=> HSC03 <=> H+ + HCO-3

Although this reaction usually proceeds very slowly, the enzyme carbonic anhydrase (which is present in red blood cells) drastically speeds up the conversion to bicarbonate and protons. This causes the pH of the blood to decrease, which promotes the dissociation of oxygen from haemoglobin, and allows the surrounding tissues to obtain enough oxygen to meet their demands. In areas where oxygen concentration is high, such as the lungs, binding of oxygen causes haemoglobin to release protons, which recombine with bicarbonate to eliminate carbon dioxide during exhalation. These opposing protonation and deprotonation reactions occur in equilibrium resulting in little overall change in blood pH.

Your body can't expel carbon dioxide without inhaling oxygen to trigger hemoglobin to release the CO2 its bound to.

In areas where oxygen concentration is high, such as the lungs, binding of oxygen causes haemoglobin to release protons, which recombine with bicarbonate to eliminate carbon dioxide during exhalation. These opposing protonation and deprotonation reactions occur in equilibrium resulting in little overall change in blood pH.

Sounds like it remains as bicarbonate, not CO2.

When humans breathe in an asphyxiant gas, such as pure nitrogen, helium, neon, argon, methane, or any other physiologically inert gas, they exhale carbon dioxide without re-supplying oxygen. Physiologically inert gases (those that have no toxic effect, but merely dilute oxygen) are generally free of odor and taste. Accordingly, the human subject detects little abnormal sensation as the oxygen level falls. This leads to asphyxiation (death from lack of oxygen) without the painful and traumatic feeling of suffocation (the hypercapnic alarm response, which in humans arises mostly from carbon dioxide levels rising), or the side effects of poisoning. In scuba diving rebreather accidents, there is often little sensation, however, a slow decrease in oxygen breathing gas content has effects which are quite variable.[6] By contrast, suddenly breathing pure inert gas causes oxygen levels in the blood to fall precipitously, and may lead to unconsciousness in only a few breaths, with no symptoms at all.[3]

Some animal species are better equipped than humans to detect hypoxia, and these species are more uncomfortable in low-oxygen environments that result from inert gas exposure; however, the experience is still less aversive than CO2 exposure.[7]

Or maybe not.......

I know,,,,,but that will be the day.,.. :rolleyes:

Who knows . . . maybe it almost came to that exactly three years ago? Certainly, that is what the Bidenesta's would have you believe! But what they don't tell you is that the protest of J6 was both justified and of their own doing, easily avoided had they just not provoked the crowd nor held a wholly illegal election on at least half a dozen state fronts then rubber stamped the whole pile of crap as quick as they could while trying to deplatform and shadow ban anyone who so much as raised the question. Can you imagine what these same people would have done if Trump had won with as many looming questions to the state of his election?

Funny, huh? You can't even question Biden's senility and geriatricity or changing earlobes from picture to picture, but they can question what brand of TP Trump uses and what he estimates the value of his home to be on a sellers market.

Works for me. The sooner, the better. I only regret that they can't (death row prisoners) can't be forced to endure the same pain and terror as their victims.
I think that has to be the prevailing attitude.
I have no sympathy for killer either.

Makes sense. 78% of our air is inert N2. It will feel just like breathing air but without the oxygen, he will lose consciousness, pass out and eventually die.
They claim it is painless. Since there is ample supplies of nitrogen gas, this may be the path they all end up following. Seems now the deal is to ensure the convict does not suffer.

I think that firing squads are perfectly fine!

Why they don't do that?

It's quick, very quick... it's a good way to dispose of them.
I think that firing squads are still feasible.

They claim it is painless.
The effect would rather be just like you were holding your breath except you are still breathing. It would be a little like hikers who climb Everest--- there would be ataxia, confusion, drowsiness, then a loss of consciousness, followed by death in another five minutes or so.

Since there is ample supplies of nitrogen gas, this may be the path they all end up following.
Pretty easy to create nitrogen: fill a bottle with air then burn off all the oxygen with a flame. All you are left with is 99% nitrogen + about 1% inert trace gases.

I think that firing squads are still feasible.

Yeah.....I think that's the best.

May be there are other methods but all and all that's fine....something proven through history.

Just my opinion.

The effect would rather be just like you were holding your breath except you are still breathing. It would be a little like hikers who climb Everest--- there would be ataxia, confusion, drowsiness, then a loss of consciousness, followed by death in another five minutes or so.

Pretty easy to create nitrogen: fill a bottle with air then burn off all the oxygen with a flame. All you are left with is 99% nitrogen + about 1% inert trace gases.

Where did the combustion products go?

Forum List

Back