Alabama will execute a convict using nitrogen

Firing squad?

Old Sparky?

I tend to believe that a set of drugs administered in the proper dosages is best. One to put the condemned person into an immediate deep sleep. One to numb the condemned to any pain even while unconscious. And finally one to stop the heart.

I’m generally (but not universally) opposed to a death penalty. However, as long as we have one, I believe it has to be done without causing undue pain.
The problem is that the drugs sometimes do not work, leading to court cases regarding cruel and unusual punishment.

Yes, better than creating 15% CO2.

Creating and collecting and concentrating CO2 is a much more involved processes then merely separating nitrogen off from its oxygen component! It's just air! CO2 is measured in parts per million. Besides,. that defeats the whole point: if I give you pure CO2 to breathe, you'd be in distress, suffering inhaling a toxic compound. You are breathing 78% nitrogen right now. Raise it to 80% and you will likely black out and die while still feeling like you never stopped breathing regular air.

Why do you care? Got someone in mind you'd like to gas?

Creating and collecting and concentrating CO2 is a much more involved processes then merely separating nitrogen off from its oxygen component! It's just air! CO2 is measured in parts per million. Besides,. that defeats the whole point: if I give you pure CO2 to breathe, you'd be in distress, suffering inhaling a toxic compound. You are breathing 78% nitrogen right now. Raise it to 80% and you will likely black out and die while still feeling like you never stopped breathing regular air.

Why do you care? Got someone in mind you'd like to gas?

CO2 is measured in parts per million. Besides,. that defeats the whole point: if I give you pure CO2 to breathe, you'd be in distress, suffering inhaling a toxic compound.

Yes, switching out the oxygen for CO2, by burning it, isn't a good plan.

You are breathing 78% nitrogen right now. Raise it to 80% and you will likely black out and die while still feeling like you never stopped breathing regular air.

You have any evidence that adding 2% N2 and reducing O2 by 2% is fatal?

Why do you care?

I was just pointing out the flaw in your oxygen removal idea.

You have any evidence that adding 2% N2 and reducing O2 by 2% is fatal?
Like I said, you need better than 19% oxygen to stay alive.

I was just pointing out the flaw in your oxygen removal idea.
But there is no flaw. Burn off the oxygen (easy), and you are quickly left with a level of nitrogen that is painless but fatal. But you don't need to burn it off, I'm sure that oxygen is so reactive that there are easy ways of catalyzing it chemically thus extracting it.

Alabama is over thinking this. Capital punishment has been around since antiquity, is there really any reason to invent new methods when the traditional modes have been so effective?

What's wrong with hanging, decapitation or garroting?
Crucify him. Make him SUFFER.

Like I said, you need better than 19% oxygen to stay alive.

But there is no flaw. Burn off the oxygen (easy), and you are quickly left with a level of nitrogen that is painless but fatal. But you don't need to burn it off, I'm sure that oxygen is so reactive that there are easy ways of catalyzing it chemically thus extracting it.

Exactly. The first method using cryo is expensive but the second method using filters to remove non-nitrogen components is much like I described above and have been telling you.
Both produce a much more pure nitrogen than necessary to execute criminals effectively.

It'd be far quicker and humane if they just made him watch Faux news

1704768155520.png

~S~

Alabama is over thinking this. Capital punishment has been around since antiquity, is there really any reason to invent new methods when the traditional modes have been so effective?

What's wrong with hanging, decapitation or garroting?

From a country with guns.... why not just shoot someone, surely it's the most humane way, ten bullets to the head....

Exactly. The first method using cryo is expensive but the second method using filters to remove non-nitrogen components is much like I described above and have been telling you.
Both produce a much more pure nitrogen than necessary to execute criminals effectively.

No mention of "burning" in any of those methods.

From a country with guns.... why not just shoot someone, surely it's the most humane way, ten bullets to the head....

To the heart is a easier target, unless you want to shoot the condemned at point blank range.

And to the heart makes it possible for the condemned to have an open casket funeral, if they've left loved ones behind.

To the heart is a easier target, unless you want to shoot the condemned at point blank range.

And to the heart makes it possible for the condemned to have an open casket funeral, if they've left loved ones behind.

The problem with the heart is that the brain is still alive. That causes suffering. You have to wait two minutes for the oxygen to stop getting to the brain.

With the brain, you're brain dead within a very, very short time, and it's over.

Forum List

Back