Alabama high school wants to give corporal punishment for 'too revealing' prom dresse

ghetto_prom_dress.jpg

Deramous was one of about 25 Oxford High students who were disciplined for violating the dress code at her school’s prom Saturday. The students in violation were allowed to stay at the prom, but the following week, each was given the option of receiving corporal punishment or accepting a three-day suspension from school, Oxford principal Trey Holladay said.

“We’re using the same policy we’ve had for the last five years,” Holladay said. “Being a parent, I want to make sure girls and guys act accordingly. We’re a high school and our community has certain expectations of what is appropriate.”

Erica’s mother, Darrie Deramous, however, is convinced her daughter’s dress was just fine.

“They said her dress length was short and that it was too low up at the top,” she said. “But that’s the way they are making them now.”

Darrie said she bought the $200 dress from a reputable prom Web site.

Anniston Star - What not to wear

So these people want to spank the girls' asses for wearing something that's too revealing.

I don't think I need to go on about how seriously fucked up that is.

Being a parent myself, I'd break more than the wrist of some sick bastard that used this as an excuse to do ANY such thing to my not quite adult daughter's derriere. She's grown now, but not too long ago, 25 to life would not have been too high a price to pay. I don't understand the mentality that allows authority "figures" to do this to peoples kids. Its fucking primitive.

I say the kids should get together in protest and flash their tits as if they were at the Mardi Gras or a Harley Rendezvous.

My isn't that good motherly advice. Don't like the rules that you were well aware of before you chose to break them, wellt hen when your punished, protest by acting like an animal.

We have corporal punishment at the school that I sit on the school board of, and the rules are simple. At the beginning of the year each student must bring in a signed waiver allowing their child to be paddled or not. Each offense that could earn a paddling is plainly laid out in the school handbook. If a child who's parents declined the paddling option breaks a rule that calls for a paddling they are suspended for one week. IF that child breaks ANY other rule which could result in a paddling in the same school year, they are expelled for the school year. Over the last 4 years our percentage of parents who opt in to the corporal punishment is 98.3%. Last school year we paddled 4 kids once each.

By the way, at our school if your child exposed themselves we would have them arrested and charged with a sex crime, And yes it is a sex crime if done on school property.

With an attitude such as yours is it any wonder our schools are in such pitiful shape?

My note would have a little handwritten message telling you to try it and see what happens next. Animals? YOU are the "animals."

She's too sexy so they want to SPANK her?

Yeah, I've felt that way occassionally myself.

Oh, aren't you a sexy little bad girl?

I'm afraid I'm going to have spank you.

It's a fun game.

Last edited:
Being a parent myself, I'd break more than the wrist of some sick bastard that used this as an excuse to do ANY such thing to my not quite adult daughter's derriere. She's grown now, but not too long ago, 25 to life would not have been too high a price to pay. I don't understand the mentality that allows authority "figures" to do this to peoples kids. Its fucking primitive.

I say the kids should get together in protest and flash their tits as if they were at the Mardi Gras or a Harley Rendezvous.

My isn't that good motherly advice. Don't like the rules that you were well aware of before you chose to break them, wellt hen when your punished, protest by acting like an animal.

We have corporal punishment at the school that I sit on the school board of, and the rules are simple. At the beginning of the year each student must bring in a signed waiver allowing their child to be paddled or not. Each offense that could earn a paddling is plainly laid out in the school handbook. If a child who's parents declined the paddling option breaks a rule that calls for a paddling they are suspended for one week. IF that child breaks ANY other rule which could result in a paddling in the same school year, they are expelled for the school year. Over the last 4 years our percentage of parents who opt in to the corporal punishment is 98.3%. Last school year we paddled 4 kids once each.

By the way, at our school if your child exposed themselves we would have them arrested and charged with a sex crime, And yes it is a sex crime if done on school property.

With an attitude such as yours is it any wonder our schools are in such pitiful shape?

My note would have a little handwritten message telling you to try it and see what happens next. Animals? YOU are the "animals."

My aren't you the ignorant one. Let me spell it out in smaller words. We don't paddle without parents permission. There would be no reason for your immature and angry addition to the permission form.

And yes, you are an animal, you react in rage to your child being asked to conform to a certain level of behavior while at school.

PS - Sending a written threat to a school official, since you just said you would return a threat to the principal who sends out the permission forms every year, is a crime. I find it beyond amusing that you lash out at the thought of your child being spanked and threaten violence to anyone who does so. That tells me that obviously your issue isn't with violence, it's with the thought that someone might discipline your child, well if children receive discipline at home then they have no need to receive it at school. As I said we have 600 students in the 7-12th grade and last school year we had 4 paddlings. It seems to me that we are doing something right. I k now you hate the fact that the mere knowledge that they could be paddled actually works, but there you have it.

I have a problem with suspending or kicking kids out of school. Some kids like to be suspended because it gets them out of school and they do not see it as a form of punishment. It is better to keep them in school and punish them than send them home. But the punishment needs to be something the kids dread to be effective.

Ah, but you see. The punishment of suspension or expulsion isn't meant for the student, it is directed toward the parent. Generally speaking the child who acts up continuously has parents like Barb who simply don't want the school punishing their child in anyway, or parents who just don't care. Last year we had a child in our high school who received 8 in school suspensions, the parents response every time? Well, kids are kids, what are you going to do? Answer. Kick their ass out of school and let the parent worry about other arrangements for their education so they have to care. It's amazing how a parent who showed no interest in cooperating with the school over discipline will suddenly change their tune when they think they might lose their daily babysitter for teenage Johnny.

Deramous was one of about 25 Oxford High students who were disciplined for violating the dress code at her school’s prom Saturday. The students in violation were allowed to stay at the prom, but the following week, each was given the option of receiving corporal punishment or accepting a three-day suspension from school, Oxford principal Trey Holladay said.

“We’re using the same policy we’ve had for the last five years,” Holladay said. “Being a parent, I want to make sure girls and guys act accordingly. We’re a high school and our community has certain expectations of what is appropriate.”

Erica’s mother, Darrie Deramous, however, is convinced her daughter’s dress was just fine.

“They said her dress length was short and that it was too low up at the top,” she said. “But that’s the way they are making them now.”

So these people want to spank the girls' asses for wearing something that's too revealing.

Let me get this straight. . . they wear whatever they want to the prom, get to stay and enjoy the prom, and have the option of a paddling or a three-day vacation (like, duh who wouldn't take that?) the following week. Sweet deal. :rolleyes:

Sounds like that school is run by pedophiles and perverts.

Common traits in white conservative Christian Southern adult males, aka the republican base.

Im not at all surprised. This state is populated primarily by Christian fundamentalists who still believe that having sex with their sister is acceptable. These aren\t very intelligent people and if they do administer corporal punishment they will be sued for millions and will lose. There are still some enlightened people in the USA (Liberals/Democrats) who will not tolerate religious wackos.

Sounds like that school is run by pedophiles and perverts.

Common traits in white conservative Christian Southern adult males, aka the republican base.

BRAVO, Mr Clean, BRAVO ! Excellent synopsis.

Wow, such draconian rules. I can't imagine why that'd be something to be proud of.

My aren't you the ignorant one. Let me spell it out in smaller words. We don't paddle without parents permission. There would be no reason for your immature and angry addition to the permission form.

And yes, you are an animal, you react in rage to your child being asked to conform to a certain level of behavior while at school.
strawman.jpg

I have a problem with suspending or kicking kids out of school. Some kids like to be suspended because it gets them out of school and they do not see it as a form of punishment. It is better to keep them in school and punish them than send them home. But the punishment needs to be something the kids dread to be effective.

Ah, but you see. The punishment of suspension or expulsion isn't meant for the student, it is directed toward the parent. Generally speaking the child who acts up continuously has parents like Barb who simply don't want the school punishing their child in anyway,

Yes because if they don't want corporal punishment they obviously must want no punishment.

Do you try to make really stupid leaps of logic or does it come naturally?

I have no problem with the punishment. I do however question why they were allowed to remain at the prom . Let's weight the punishments here. Seniors know they will be ejected from their sr prom vs seniors know they will get a paddling for violating dress code. That's a no brainer that most will take the paddling, but most wouldn't risk missing their prom.

How about instead they refused to let them enter the prom with the dress and not punish them.

They basically knew a violation was taking place and let it happen so that they could have an excuse to paddle them after the fact.

I have no problem with the punishment. I do however question why they were allowed to remain at the prom . Let's weight the punishments here. Seniors know they will be ejected from their sr prom vs seniors know they will get a paddling for violating dress code. That's a no brainer that most will take the paddling, but most wouldn't risk missing their prom.

How about instead they refused to let them enter the prom with the dress and not punish them.

They basically knew a violation was taking place and let it happen so that they could have an excuse to paddle them after the fact.

Not letting them attend the prom would be the punishment. Follow the rules and attend; don't follow the rules and don't attend. Seems pretty simple, doesn't it?

Not letting them attend the prom would be the punishment. Follow the rules and attend; don't follow the rules and don't attend. Seems pretty simple, doesn't it?
Point taken.

How about you read my entire posts where i said exactly that. I didn't say THIS deserved a paddling. I s aid I don't have a problem with paddling in general. I explicitly said, they should have been sent home , a much more fitting punishment and more likely to send a message that sticks.

Ah, but you see. The punishment of suspension or expulsion isn't meant for the student, it is directed toward the parent. Generally speaking the child who acts up continuously has parents like Barb who simply don't want the school punishing their child in anyway,

Yes because if they don't want corporal punishment they obviously must want no punishment.

Yes, because what I wrote was we jump immediately to paddling. That's the first thing we do. Jesus Christ.... Paddling is essentially reserved for more serous offenses but not serious enough to warrant suspension or expulsion.

Hell back when I went to school we got paddled for the slightest infraction, and then we got another one when we got home.

Yes, because what I wrote was we jump immediately to paddling. That's the first thing we do. Jesus Christ.... Paddling is essentially reserved for more serous offenses but not serious enough to warrant suspension or expulsion.

Hell back when I went to school we got paddled for the slightest infraction, and then we got another one when we got home.

I'm talking about when you said Barb doesn't want to punish kids just because she's violently opposed to paddling.

I'm sorry I called it draconian though.

PS - Sending a written threat to a school official, since you just said you would return a threat to the principal who sends out the permission forms every year, is a crime.

Where I come from its fair warning.

As for your "parents like Barb" comment, my kids got suspended once or twice each in all the years they were in school. A couple I didn't agree with, but I accepted the consequences for them breaking the rules.
My issue is with corporal punishment, the states that allow it, and the parents who condone someone ELSE making the descision to discipline their children that way. Its fucking PRIMITIVE.

Forum List

Back