Afterlife….How About For You?

"t'was beauty that killed the beast.'
I'm not a beast and I don't know how beautiful you are as that is subjective- beauty is in the eye of the beholder-
A mind is a beautiful thing to waste- intellectual dishonesty is wasteful to the possessor of the mind- it's beauty is sullied when it exercises obtuse in its Right for the pursuit of whatever-

“…and he was gathered to his kin.”

6. Certainly a reassuring way of putting ‘and he died.”

“… this expression must mean the person was united with his ancestors in the afterlife. Contrary to what many modern Jews believe, as the Encyclopedia Judaica, a major work of modern scholarship, states: “Judaism has always affirmed a belief in the afterlife.” And, as we see here, this has likely been the case since the time of Abraham. Belief in the afterlife was not, as many scholars contend, a later adoption from Greek or Zoroastrian philosophy. Nahum Sarna, among others, refutes that contention:

“It would seem, therefore, that the existence of this idiom [“gathered to his kin”] . . . testifies to a belief that, despite his mortality and perishability, man possesses an immortal element that survives the loss of life. Death is looked upon as a transition to an afterlife where one is united with one’s ancestors. This interpretation contradicts the widespread, but apparently erroneous, view that such a notion is unknown in Israel until later times.” Prager

Seems to be definitive as far a far as Judaism and belief in an afterlife.

"t'was beauty that killed the beast.'
I'm not a beast and I don't know how beautiful you are as that is subjective- beauty is in the eye of the beholder-
A mind is a beautiful thing to waste- intellectual dishonesty is wasteful to the possessor of the mind- it's beauty is sullied when it exercises obtuse in its Right for the pursuit of whatever-

"I'm not a beast and I don't know how beautiful you are as that is subjective- beauty is in the eye of the beholder- "

I knew this would happen when they stopped teaching logic.

If beauty is subjective.....so is whether you are a beast.

I'm gonna go with 'yes.'

Well....at least make me the Queen of Problems.

I'm never one of a group.
Well, your superiority complex tells me you qualify as a hack- royalty isn't my area of expertise- hacks are a dime a dozen, individually they're worthless, intellectually- in the group they exercise an arrogance beyond belief and desire their dogma is correct because they all agree = democratic - LOL- your worse nightmare

You feel that I'm not logical- emotion isn't evidence- that you fear someone or something makes you feel like a beast is in your presence- that is opinion, highly subjective, but, logic tell us beasts don't exist- beauty does exist and is in the eye of the beholder-

And Abraham breathed his last, dying at a good ripe age, old and contented; and he was gathered to his kin.

C
I sang Dixie as he died

The people just walked on by as I cried
F C
The bottle had robbed him of all his rebel pride
G7 C
I sang Dixie as he died

He said way down yonder in the land of cotton
F
Old times there ain't near as rotten
C G7
As they are on this damned old LA street
C
Then he drew a dying breath
F
Laid his head against my chest
C G7 C
Please Lord take his soul back home to Dixie

repeat #1

He said listen to me son while you still can
F
Run back home to that southern land
C G7
Don't you see what life here has done to me
C
Then he closed those old blue eyes
F
And fell limp against my side
C G7 C
No more pain now he's safe back home in Dixie

Well....at least make me the Queen of Problems.

I'm never one of a group.
Well, your superiority complex tells me you qualify as a hack- royalty isn't my area of expertise- hacks are a dime a dozen, individually they're worthless, intellectually- in the group they exercise an arrogance beyond belief and desire their dogma is correct because they all agree = democratic - LOL- your worse nightmare

"Well, your superiority complex ..."

No complex.....straight up cast iron slam dunk superiority.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

You feel that I'm not logical- emotion isn't evidence- that you fear someone or something makes you feel like a beast is in your presence- that is opinion, highly subjective, but, logic tell us beasts don't exist- beauty does exist and is in the eye of the beholder-

"You feel that I'm not logical- "

I don't 'feel'....that's for Liberals....I simply state facts.

.I simply state facts.
But not ALL the facts = intellectual dishonesty- BTW the Founders were Classical Liberals- the conservatives of the time sided with the King of Britain= neocons are today's siding with a King- the root of conservative is conserve. In political speak that is status quo and BOTH sides political elite subscribe to it- making ALL of them intellectually dishonest political hacks, just like you.

7. If the earlier text of the Judeo-Christian faith meant to endorse an afterlife, one of reward and/or punishments, wouldn’t there be a direct statement of the existence of an afterlife???

Prager has a truly clever analysis of why there isn’t.

If the Bible made a definite statement that there is such a judgment it would obviate the central gift to mankind: free will.

Free will and the intelligence to judge our actions are left to the individual
. Perhaps that is why evil continues to exist….an individual doesn’t know for a fact that they will be held responsible for their actions. But it they did.....

“If people knew that if they acted badly in this world they would be immediately punished, there would no longer be free will (even career criminals don’t commit crimes in the presence of police).” Prager

So….not knowing, not being certain of an afterlife, demands faith and self-discipline…and due diligence.

Belief in God and an afterlife makes it far easier to be a good person, a righteous person......but, one could be a pagan conform to the same degree.....it simply requires a higher degree of self discipline.

Belief in God and an afterlife makes it far easier to be a good person, a righteous person.
Manifest Destiny?

Self righteous, intellectually dishonest, political hacks (even chics) serve self righteousness as a full course meal-

I'd be informative to hear what you believe that form would be.

I believe in Universal Morality defines by a Divine Power of the Universe. Our lives here are simply atest for the Soul, to determine how well the Soul can do at living by that Moral code.

At the end, every Soul is judged and deemed to be Irredeemable, Moral, or Undetermined. The Irredeemable are sent to a place of Eternal torment. The Moral are allowed to move on to a Higher existence. The Undetermined are returned to Esrth to try again.

That’s the short version.

Assuming, of course, that you’re not a government school nihilist…y'know, and believe human beings are nothing but accidental constructions of mud and dust.

For those of us who believe otherwise.....

1.We learned about reward and punishment early on, perhaps via this catechism:

He's making a list
He's checking it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town

He sees when you are sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you been good or bad
So be good for goodness sake

2. At some point later in life it became a more serious question, whether there is something after we shuffle off this mortal coil, and might give some of us pause. Of course, not those victims of government school indoctrination, which does everything possible to marginalize, ridicule, erase, any links to religious traditions. For those folks, it’s government we must worship, and the best part is that the great god government is there to reward all no matter if they’re good or bad. Kind of removes that burden of responsibility.

3. But…”Christian beliefs about life after death are based on the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christians believe that Jesus’ death and resurrection are part of God’s divine plan for humankind. Through his death on the cross, Jesus pays the penalty for mankind's sin and mankind's relationship with God is restored. This is called atonement. Christians believe that three days after the crucifixion, God raised Jesus from the dead and he once again appeared to his disciples. This is taken to mean that Jesus’ sacrifice was a victory over sin and death. Although physical death still happens, those who believe in Christ and live good lives will be given eternal life in Heaven.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zn6ncdm/revision/3.

And if you read Dante, you have a darn good picture of the damage you will face, depending on how bad you are. Although there was a bar called ‘The Ninth Circle,” in the Village, that was pretty OK……

I always gravitated to the view of the Argentine poet, Jorge Louis Borges: "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library"

4. The Old Testament appears to be clear, if subtle, on the issue of an afterlife.

In telling Abraham, the first Jewish person, of his future, there is this:

15.15 As for you, You shall go to your fathers

“Often, in describing death, the Torah and the rest of the Hebrew Bible use the phrase “gathered to one’s kin.” Here, the Torah describes Abram’s eventual death as Abram going “to your fathers.” For reasons I will explain at length, the Torah never directly declares there is an afterlife. But throughout the Torah, an afterlife is clearly implied. Sarna notes, “In whatever form, the phrase certainly originates from the belief in an afterlife in which one is reunited with one’s ancestors irrespective of where they are buried.” Dennis Prager, “Genesis”

Make you feel better?

Why would it?

DEad is dead there is nothing after

So you best make the most of each and everyday you wake up ans draw breath

"Pascal's wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."
..actually a rational person does not believe in god
...what gains and losses???!!! = ridiculous because no one can prove there is a god
I'll say it again, that's outrageous
Definition of outrageous

1a: exceeding the limits of what is usualthe outrageous weather we have been afflicted with— New Yorkeroutrageous prices
b: not conventional or matter-of-fact : FANTASTIC

"..actually a rational person does not believe in god"

A foolish and self-serving statement.....at odd of what the eminently rational Pascal said.
hahahahahhha----you and ''rational'' [ hahahah ] Pascal can't prove there is a god----you Don't see how that makes his [ law--hahahahhaha ] totally wrong/unprovable?

What a silly post.

Unless, of course, you have some way to prove that there is no God, nor afterlife.

Do you?
.....in the logical--rational-real world, you either prove what you claim or it's bullshit babble--just like a court case.......
..you people INITIALLY claimed there is a god/etc--YOU have to prove it
..not only can you not prove there is a god, making Pascal nothing but babble, but by using the word ''law'' makes it babble
.....https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/law

It appears the subject really upsets you.
Can you re-post without the barnyard vulgarity.
fake made up stuff upsets me????!!! hahahahahhahahahahah
sorry that the truth hurts you
..just like on all the religious threads--you people do not and cannot provide any proof...you just use insults and deflection
hahahahahhahahahaah

Assuming, of course, that you’re not a government school nihilist…y'know, and believe human beings are nothing but accidental constructions of mud and dust.

He's making a list
He's checking it twice

2. At some point later in life it became a more serious question, whether there is something after we shuffle off this mortal coil, and might give some of us pause. Of course, not those victims of government school indoctrination, which does everything possible to marginalize, ridicule, erase, any links to religious traditions. For those folks, it’s government we must worship, and the best part is that the great god government is there to reward all no matter if they’re good or bad. Kind of removes that burden of responsibility.

3. But…”Christian beliefs about life after death are based on the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christians believe that Jesus’ death and resurrection are part of God’s divine plan for humankind. Through his death on the cross, Jesus pays the penalty for mankind's sin and mankind's relationship with God is restored. This is called atonement. Christians believe that three days after the crucifixion, God raised Jesus from the dead and he once again appeared to his disciples. This is taken to mean that Jesus’ sacrifice was a victory over sin and death. Although physical death still happens, those who believe in Christ and live good lives will be given eternal life in Heaven.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zn6ncdm/revision/3.

And if you read Dante, you have a darn good picture of the damage you will face, depending on how bad you are. Although there was a bar called ‘The Ninth Circle,” in the Village, that was pretty OK……

I always gravitated to the view of the Argentine poet, Jorge Louis Borges: "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library"

4. The Old Testament appears to be clear, if subtle, on the issue of an afterlife.

“Often, in describing death, the Torah and the rest of the Hebrew Bible use the phrase “gathered to one’s kin.” Here, the Torah describes Abram’s eventual death as Abram going “to your fathers.” For reasons I will explain at length, the Torah never directly declares there is an afterlife. But throughout the Torah, an afterlife is clearly implied. Sarna notes, “In whatever form, the phrase certainly originates from the belief in an afterlife in which one is reunited with one’s ancestors irrespective of where they are buried.” Dennis Prager, “Genesis”

Make you feel better?

Why would it?

"Pascal's wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."
...what gains and losses???!!! = ridiculous because no one can prove there is a god
Definition of outrageous

1a: exceeding the limits of what is usualthe outrageous weather we have been afflicted with— New Yorkeroutrageous prices

A foolish and self-serving statement.....at odd of what the eminently rational Pascal said.
hahahahahhha----you and ''rational'' [ hahahah ] Pascal can't prove there is a god----you Don't see how that makes his [ law--hahahahhaha ] totally wrong/unprovable?

What a silly post.

Unless, of course, you have some way to prove that there is no God, nor afterlife.

Do you?
.....in the logical--rational-real world, you either prove what you claim or it's bullshit babble--just like a court case.......
..not only can you not prove there is a god, making Pascal nothing but babble, but by using the word ''law'' makes it babble

..just like on all the religious threads--you people do not and cannot provide any proof...you just use insults and deflection
hahahahahhahahahaah

How do you explain two diametrically opposite posts authored by you?

Clearly, either I or the subject deeply upset you to the point of confusion, loss of focus.

Hopefully, both.

He's making a list
He's checking it twice

Make you feel better?

Why would it?

Definition of outrageous

What a silly post.

Do you?

hahahahahhahahahaah

How do you explain two diametrically opposite posts authored by you?

Clearly, either I or the subject deeply upset you to the point of confusion, loss of focus.

Hopefully, both.
hahahhahahahahahah
still --no proof of god/etc--you see--just like I said--you provide no proof--just ridiculous deflection
....DEEPLY upset..now it's DEEPLY---hahahahahahhahahahaha
that's even funnier

I longer being a Christian... I moved on from that belief system 19 years ago at age 27... I have a very different view of the afterlife. I believe it exists, but in a very different form.

A bizarre mix of old Norse beliefs, leavened with serious mental illness and a dash of Catholic guilt. Mix thoroughly with a heaping helping of self-loathing.

I longer being a Christian... I moved on from that belief system 19 years ago at age 27... I have a very different view of the afterlife. I believe it exists, but in a very different form.

A bizarre mix of some old Norse beliefs, mixed with a dash of Catholic guilt and a heaping helping of self-loathing.

Brilliant refutation......government school would give you another gold star.

I'll put you in the "Is not, isssssss nooooootttttt!!!" column.

8. And, it may be evidence for an acceptance of an afterlife in that the Bible does not explicitly reject that view. But it does order believers to concentrate on life, not death.

And….“does not explicitly talk about the afterlife. The Torah wants human beings to focus on this life. … in contradistinction to Egypt’s holy work, The Book of the Dead, the Torah commands its followers to choose life:

19This day, I call upon the heaven and the earth as witnesses [that I have warned] you: I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. You shall choose life, so that you and your offspring will live; (Deuteronomy 30:19).

The Torah is so focused on this world, it forbids Jewish priests (kohanim) from having contact with dead bodies (Leviticus 21:1). I could find no other religion that forbade its priests from contact with the dead.

Those who doubt God’s existence have every reason to doubt an afterlife. But for those who believe there is a just God, it is irrational to doubt an afterlife. “
Prager, “Genesis”

Today's dominant religion, militant secularism, also known as Leftism, is one that embraces death rather than life....which explains the Democrat's close alliance with Islamists.

None of the totalitarian forms of political plague have the slightest concern for human life: not communism (gulags), not Nazism (concentration camps), not Liberalism (abortion), not Progressivism (eugenics), not socialism (theft), not fascism (murder).

They only differ in the final outcome: slavery, serfdom, or death.

They all follow Trotsky: "We must rid ourselves once and for all of the Quaker-Papist babble about the sanctity of human life."

Forum List

Back