Afterlife….How About For You?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Assuming, of course, that you’re not a government school nihilist…y'know, and believe human beings are nothing but accidental constructions of mud and dust.

For those of us who believe otherwise.....

1.We learned about reward and punishment early on, perhaps via this catechism:

He's making a list
He's checking it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town

He sees when you are sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you been good or bad
So be good for goodness sake

2. At some point later in life it became a more serious question, whether there is something after we shuffle off this mortal coil, and might give some of us pause. Of course, not those victims of government school indoctrination, which does everything possible to marginalize, ridicule, erase, any links to religious traditions. For those folks, it’s government we must worship, and the best part is that the great god government is there to reward all no matter if they’re good or bad. Kind of removes that burden of responsibility.

3. But…”Christian beliefs about life after death are based on the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christians believe that Jesus’ death and resurrection are part of God’s divine plan for humankind. Through his death on the cross, Jesus pays the penalty for mankind's sin and mankind's relationship with God is restored. This is called atonement. Christians believe that three days after the crucifixion, God raised Jesus from the dead and he once again appeared to his disciples. This is taken to mean that Jesus’ sacrifice was a victory over sin and death. Although physical death still happens, those who believe in Christ and live good lives will be given eternal life in Heaven.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zn6ncdm/revision/3.

And if you read Dante, you have a darn good picture of the damage you will face, depending on how bad you are. Although there was a bar called ‘The Ninth Circle,” in the Village, that was pretty OK……

I always gravitated to the view of the Argentine poet, Jorge Louis Borges: "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library"

4. The Old Testament appears to be clear, if subtle, on the issue of an afterlife.

In telling Abraham, the first Jewish person, of his future, there is this:

15.15 As for you, You shall go to your fathers

“Often, in describing death, the Torah and the rest of the Hebrew Bible use the phrase “gathered to one’s kin.” Here, the Torah describes Abram’s eventual death as Abram going “to your fathers.” For reasons I will explain at length, the Torah never directly declares there is an afterlife. But throughout the Torah, an afterlife is clearly implied. Sarna notes, “In whatever form, the phrase certainly originates from the belief in an afterlife in which one is reunited with one’s ancestors irrespective of where they are buried.” Dennis Prager, “Genesis”

Make you feel better?

There is a three-part test for all "believers": (1) belief in God, (2) belief in an afterlife, and (3) belief that in one way or another virtue will be rewarded and evil punished, in the afterlife.

The colloquial description of these beliefs is, "the pie in the sky."

While there are lots of bad people who claim to believe in these tenets, I see very few "good" people who do not believe in them. Not actively or aggressively harming others does not make one a "good" person. That merely qualifies as "not evil."

Sadly, the Torah is rather mushy on both (2) and (3).

..someone please tell us what the after life will be like ---of course it will just be make believe and made up....it will be what they THINK it will be....

Assuming, of course, that you’re not a government school nihilist…y'know, and believe human beings are nothing but accidental constructions of mud and dust.

He's making a list
He's checking it twice

2. At some point later in life it became a more serious question, whether there is something after we shuffle off this mortal coil, and might give some of us pause. Of course, not those victims of government school indoctrination, which does everything possible to marginalize, ridicule, erase, any links to religious traditions. For those folks, it’s government we must worship, and the best part is that the great god government is there to reward all no matter if they’re good or bad. Kind of removes that burden of responsibility.

3. But…”Christian beliefs about life after death are based on the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christians believe that Jesus’ death and resurrection are part of God’s divine plan for humankind. Through his death on the cross, Jesus pays the penalty for mankind's sin and mankind's relationship with God is restored. This is called atonement. Christians believe that three days after the crucifixion, God raised Jesus from the dead and he once again appeared to his disciples. This is taken to mean that Jesus’ sacrifice was a victory over sin and death. Although physical death still happens, those who believe in Christ and live good lives will be given eternal life in Heaven.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zn6ncdm/revision/3.

And if you read Dante, you have a darn good picture of the damage you will face, depending on how bad you are. Although there was a bar called ‘The Ninth Circle,” in the Village, that was pretty OK……

I always gravitated to the view of the Argentine poet, Jorge Louis Borges: "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library"

4. The Old Testament appears to be clear, if subtle, on the issue of an afterlife.

“Often, in describing death, the Torah and the rest of the Hebrew Bible use the phrase “gathered to one’s kin.” Here, the Torah describes Abram’s eventual death as Abram going “to your fathers.” For reasons I will explain at length, the Torah never directly declares there is an afterlife. But throughout the Torah, an afterlife is clearly implied. Sarna notes, “In whatever form, the phrase certainly originates from the belief in an afterlife in which one is reunited with one’s ancestors irrespective of where they are buried.” Dennis Prager, “Genesis”

Make you feel better?

I feel much better about going to heaven as I’ve been promised that gated part which excludes preachy religious people.

He's making a list
He's checking it twice

Make you feel better?

Why would it?

DEad is dead there is nothing after

So you best make the most of each and everyday you wake up ans draw breath

Well I woke up Sunday mornin with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt, the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for desert-

and it got me to thinkin- why does a Christian Nation pay tithes to a Jewish State and initiate force against Muslim countries and claim Manifest Destiny is it's God's approval of sin beyond comprehension-

On a Sunday mornin sidewalk, I'm wishin Lord that I was stoned
(except the Christians hate people who don't conform to the State dogma and might want to throw me in jail because I might do something worse that initiate force against someone causing irrepairale harm and death) cause there's something in a Sunday, that makes a body feel alone- and there's nothing short of dyin, that's half as lonesome as the sound, of a sleepin city sidewalk, and Sunday mornin comin down-

then I remembered- I care not who has the power give me the money- alas, he who has the gold makes the rules- at whose feet the Christian Nation worships.

There is definitely an afterlife

A magical place where all your dreams come true. It will make up for everything bad that happened to you. You will meet everyone you lost in your life and be one big happy family. Did I mention “Free Stuff”?

That is as long as you are good. As long as you belong to the correct religion. As long as you worshipped god nonstop. As long as you don’t commit sins like being a murderer, a rapist, a whoremonger or a conservative.

Last edited:

A magical place where all your dreams come true. It will make up for everything bad that happened to you. You will meet everyone you lost in your life and be one big happy family.

That is as long as you are good. As long as you belong to the correct religion. As long as you worshipped god nonstop. As long as you don’t commit sins like being a murderer, a rapist, a whoremonger or a conservative.
In reality, you will most likely be the same person living the same life again.

A magical place where all your dreams come true. It will make up for everything bad that happened to you. You will meet everyone you lost in your life and be one big happy family.

Ground Hog Day?

Libertarians in Heaven

1587302317940.png

I longer being a Christian... I moved on from that belief system 19 years ago at age 27... I have a very different view of the afterlife. I believe it exists, but in a very different form.

There is a three-part test for all "believers": (1) belief in God, (2) belief in an afterlife, and (3) belief that in one way or another virtue will be rewarded and evil punished, in the afterlife.

The colloquial description of these beliefs is, "the pie in the sky."

While there are lots of bad people who claim to believe in these tenets, I see very few "good" people who do not believe in them. Not actively or aggressively harming others does not make one a "good" person. That merely qualifies as "not evil."

Sadly, the Torah is rather mushy on both (2) and (3).

I'm gonna post some of mentions from the Old Testament....via Prager's book "Genesis"

..someone please tell us what the after life will be like ---of course it will just be make believe and made up....it will be what they THINK it will be....

And you can prove that?

So you dropped by to post "is not, issssss nootttttttt!!!"?????

I believe I covered your view early in the OP.

He's making a list
He's checking it twice

Make you feel better?

Why would it?

"Pascal's wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."

Ground Hog Day?
Kinda. But you´ll never know.

Well I woke up Sunday mornin with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt, the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for desert-

and it got me to thinkin- why does a Christian Nation pay tithes to a Jewish State and initiate force against Muslim countries and claim Manifest Destiny is it's God's approval of sin beyond comprehension-

On a Sunday mornin sidewalk, I'm wishin Lord that I was stoned (except the Christians hate people who don't conform to the State dogma and might want to throw me in jail because I might do something worse that initiate force against someone causing irrepairale harm and death) cause there's something in a Sunday, that makes a body feel alone- and there's nothing short of dyin, that's half as lonesome as the sound, of a sleepin city sidewalk, and Sunday mornin comin down-

then I remembered- I care not who has the power give me the money- alas, he who has the gold makes the rules- at whose feet the Christian Nation worships.

And....what does that have to do with this thread?

You remain as confused as when you wrote this:

"I could be called anti semite- I could be called anti-religious too. I'm also anti-authoritarian. I'm also anti-bias."
Did The Democrats Ever Hear of Alfred Dreyfus?

He's making a list
He's checking it twice

Make you feel better?

Why would it?

"Pascal's wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."
..actually a rational person does not believe in god
...what gains and losses???!!! = ridiculous because no one can prove there is a god
I'll say it again, that's outrageous
Definition of outrageous

1a: exceeding the limits of what is usualthe outrageous weather we have been afflicted with— New Yorkeroutrageous prices
b: not conventional or matter-of-fact : FANTASTIC

Forum List

Back