After a felon serves their sentence

Should they be able to own guns?
I ask because them being able to vote is all the rage now.
Shouldn't we be consistent in policy? Meaning all rights restored?

It's not quite so black and white as you frame it, but generally yes. These lifetime prohibitions against fundamental rights have to end.

It would be the WHOLE sentence, including any parole or post release supervision. Only then could they be given full rights back.
Indeed. I probably should have clarified. Some think parole isnt part if a sentence lol

And supervised release covers people like pedophiles and others at risk for recidivism.

I don't really know, seems something that you need to look at in a case by case bases.

I don't see how you can universally state that a felon should have his rights fully restored.

You give the example of guns, I'll give the examples of phedophiles. Should someone convicted of something like that be allowed to own a daycare center for instance. I would argue it's a safety issue to not allow it.

Same can be said for gun ownership. Someone with a history of violence no. A guy jailed for a non-violent crime... Probably. The thing is voting has no public safety questions. Gun ownership does.
Umm they are voting on public safety. And many other things that impact everyone.
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? I can easily see how owning a gun can lead to a guy with a history of violence committing a violent act with that gun. I can easily see how opening an daycare can lead to a phedophile abusing children again. I don't really see how voting can lead to a criminal act. Can you?

Yes.

Once they have served their debt to society they should be given full rights back.

If they cannot be trusted with those rights, then they should not be let out of prison.

I will slightly disagree. There can be instances where life in prison is neither warranted, nor practical, but where some degree of depravation of freedom is still warranted. The problem is that it should be done judicially, on a case by case basis. If an individual has multiple felony convictions for gun violence, I'm fine with the sentence itself including a lifetime prohibition against possessing weapons. But what we currently see with gun and voting rights are statutory wet blankets that serve only to add secondary punishment.

If we restore voting rights, we should restore all of them.

What kind of felonies are we talking about here? If your “felony” was a victimless crime, which sadly there are many, then you shouldn’t have lost your 2A right to begin with.

I don't really know, seems something that you need to look at in a case by case bases.

I don't see how you can universally state that a felon should have his rights fully restored.

You give the example of guns, I'll give the examples of phedophiles. Should someone convicted of something like that be allowed to own a daycare center for instance. I would argue it's a safety issue to not allow it.

Same can be said for gun ownership. Someone with a history of violence no. A guy jailed for a non-violent crime... Probably. The thing is voting has no public safety questions. Gun ownership does.
Umm they are voting on public safety. And many other things that impact everyone.
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? I can easily see how owning a gun can lead to a guy with a history of violence committing a violent act with that gun. I can easily see how opening an daycare can lead to a phedophile abusing children again. I don't really see how voting can lead to a criminal act. Can you?
Voting fraud

Yes ALL rights should be restored with a few exceptions like murder or rape with a gun-------- that right should be put on hold not nec taken all cases are SHADED GRAY until evidence of such and such are proven.

Other that give those gawd dam rights back !!!

back before the lunatic went on a BOOT on our necks mission communities were way more respectful towards others because if you were they'd shoot your ass lol . Meaning if you stole shit lied about paying back etc.......

They also know once you make it into the system you learn just how CROOKED the system is that is why th POS FED don;t want them voting.
Yet if you told them they could get out in half time only if they vote democrat or something...

And just when it seemed clear and easy, Forkup muddies the waters with an excellent and thoughtful case of why convicted felons should lose some rights FOREVER.

Forum List

Back