After a career as a social activist for Afro-Colombians and climate justice, What Colombia’s First Black VP Really Wants from the US: reparations!

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
We face a danger now, and that’s what I’ve seen in Brazil: Bolsonaro’s followers doing the same thing that Trump and his followers did in the United States — to try to mount a coup d’état. I think that’s an internalization of fascism, sectarianism and a hard-right that’s gotten used to using violence and that believes that with violence they can bring a people to their knees.

I think they’re making a mistake. That’s not the way.

from the article:

But I was really excited to see a Black woman become the vice president, just as we were really excited when [Barack] Obama became the president. In Colombia, we felt that he was our president. And I’m not saying that just because my skin is black. As Angela Davis says, a Black man won’t replace the millions of Black people who are incarcerated and living without dignity. But when I go to my community having been only the third woman in the Americas to reach this post, I see Black or Indigenous boys and girls saying “Thank you, vice president,” and they cry happy tears as they hug me, and I understand that it’s worth doing this.

We face a danger now, and that’s what I’ve seen in Brazil: Bolsonaro’s followers doing the same thing that Trump and his followers did in the United States — to try to mount a coup d’état. I think that’s an internalization of fascism, sectarianism and a hard-right that’s gotten used to using violence and that believes that with violence they can bring a people to their knees.

I think they’re making a mistake. That’s not the way.

from the article:

But I was really excited to see a Black woman become the vice president, just as we were really excited when [Barack] Obama became the president. In Colombia, we felt that he was our president. And I’m not saying that just because my skin is black. As Angela Davis says, a Black man won’t replace the millions of Black people who are incarcerated and living without dignity. But when I go to my community having been only the third woman in the Americas to reach this post, I see Black or Indigenous boys and girls saying “Thank you, vice president,” and they cry happy tears as they hug me, and I understand that it’s worth doing this.
Call the Dutch and see what they say about it and afterward Spain and my bet she is laughed at while they hang up!

Forum List

Back