Advertising & a PR campaign can be effective...but only when they contain an element of truth

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
It's a truism that some people don't take seriously enough. Consequently, they think they can BS their way out of situations that are often of their own making.

Let me give a general example: Toyota trucks have a great reputation for reliability and having a high resale value even after many years of use and high mileage. I know it for a fact since I've owned one for 25 years with rarely a problem. Any advertisement by Toyota touting this claim would be met with countless real life examples by tens of thousands of truck owners that this claim is absolutely true.

However, let's imagine a car company that would try to sell a particular vehicle (like a Mercedes, for example) by proclaiming that their cars are virtually problem free. Well, as anyone who's ever owned a Mercedes knows (or who has known someone who's owned a Mercedes), they are beset with problems both big and small which can cost a significant amount of money to fix. Consequently, Mercedes doesn't try to sell their cars based on a claim that they operate virtually trouble-free as people do, in fact, buy their cars for other considerations anyway. However, if Daimler-Chrysler tried to advertise their cars as essentially trouble free, their advertising campaign would fail.

Why do I bring this up, you might ask. It's because of how Trump has sold himself to the electorate. He's sold himself as the ultimate deal maker and fixer. To date, there's very slim evidence that Trump can broker deals while there's also overwhelming evidence that his involvement in negotiations actually hinders consensus and deal-making.

Trump has also sold himself as a man who is and will be the champion of the common 'everyman' and 'everywoman' who have been left behind by globalization. However, there is no evidence that Trump has ever been concerned about the so-called common man during his entire adult life. Furthermore, the failed GOP backed health care bill would actually have negatively impacted the Trump base who would have found their costs skyrocketing while their coverage decreased or ended completely.

How about the tax reform that Trump has proposed? It overwhelmingly benefits the uber wealthy even as the average working man and woman would see little, if any, benefit and would likely see social services on which they rely cut even further.

So, forget (at least for the moment) about Trump's erratic behavior and his seeming inability to stay 'on script' or to work with others without creating undue friction. Forget about how he seemingly needlessly alienates both domestic and foreign allies even as he lavishes praise on dictators and potential adversaries. Forget ALL of that, and concentrate on the gulf between Trump's claims of what he can and will do and what his proposed policies would deliver if enacted. Of course, at this point, Trump really hasn't been able to deliver on anything, in part, because of his lack of engagement in selling his agenda to a wider audience and his personality traits which fail to bring more Congressional votes to support his ideas.

But if and when that actually happens a year or so from now, what will the reaction be among his core supporters when they discover that Trump has sold them a peck of empty promises even as he's sold out his base in favor of further feathering the nests of the wealthiest people in this country at the expense of the average working man and woman who put him in office? Does Trump think his core supporters won't notice the distance between the rhetoric and the reality? Or does Trump think he can simply buffalo them like he's been doing to people all his life? As a final note, read the Trump University stories from both students and instructors if you want some insight on Trump's MO.

Last edited:
It's a truism that some people don't take seriously enough. Consequently, they think they can BS their way out of situations that are often of their own making.

Let me give a general example: Toyota trucks have a great reputation for reliability and having a high resale value even after many years of use and high mileage. I know it for a fact since I've owned one for 25 years with rarely a problem. Any advertisement by Toyota touting this claim would be met with countless real life examples by tens of thousands of truck owners that this claim is absolutely true.

However, let's imagine a car company that would try to sell a particular vehicle (like a Mercedes, for example) by proclaiming that their cars are virtually problem free. Well, as anyone who's ever owned a Mercedes knows (or who has known someone who's owned a Mercedes), they are beset with problems both big and small which can cost a significant amount of money to fix. Consequently, Mercedes doesn't try to sell their cars based on a claim that they operate virtually trouble-free as people do, in fact, buy their cars for other considerations anyway. However, if Daimler-Chrysler tried to advertise their cars as essentially trouble free, their advertising campaign would fail.

Why do I bring this up, you might ask. It's because of how Trump has sold himself to the electorate. He's sold himself as the ultimate deal maker and fixer. To date, there's very slim evidence that Trump can broker deals while there's also overwhelming evidence that his involvement in negotiations actually hinders consensus and deal-making.

Trump has also sold himself as a man who is and will be the champion of the common 'everyman' and 'everywoman' who have been left behind by globalization. However, there is no evidence that Trump has ever been concerned about the so-called common man during his entire adult life. Furthermore, the failed GOP backed health care bill would actually have negatively impacted the Trump base who would have found their costs skyrocketing while their coverage decreased or ended completely.

How about the tax reform that Trump has proposed? It overwhelmingly benefits the uber wealthy even as the average working man and woman would see little, if any, benefit and would likely see social services on which they rely cut even further.

So, forget (at least for the moment) about Trump's erratic behavior and his seeming inability to stay 'on script' or to work with others without creating undue friction. Forget about how he seemingly needlessly alienates both domestic and foreign allies even as he lavishes praise on dictators and potential adversaries. Forget ALL of that, and concentrate on the gulf between Trump's claims of what he can and will do and what his proposed policies would deliver if enacted. Of course, at this point, Trump really hasn't been able to deliver on anything, in part, because of his lack of engagement in selling his agenda to a wider audience and his personality traits which fail to bring more Congressional votes to support his ideas.

But if and when that actually happens a year or so from now, what will the reaction be among his core supporters when they discover that Trump has sold them a peck of empty promises even as he's sold out his base in favor of further feathering the nests of the wealthiest people in this country at the expense of the average working man and woman who put him in office? Does Trump think his core supporters won't notice the distance between the rhetoric and the reality? Or does Trump think he can simply buffalo them like he's been doing to people all his life? As a final note, read the Trump University stories from both students and instructors if you want some insight on Trump's MO.

Come on bud you know what they will say....bbbbbbbut Hillary!:rofl:or DEEP STATE!

Come on bud you know what they will say....bbbbbbbut Hillary!:rofl:or DEEP STATE!

I think that the vast majority of people, at least people who aren't unduly sheltered from the real world (by parents as an example) eventually interact with someone who's essentially dishonest in their interactions with others. Maybe it's a mechanic who has worked on their car. Perhaps it's a friend who betrays a confidence. Or it could be a business partner. However, the details don't really matter. For people who experience this, there's a Eureka moment when a person finally realized that they've been mislead, for outright deceived or cheated. The end result is a 180 degree change in opinion. While I wouldn't expect ALL of Trump's supporters to make that kind of radical change of opinion of Trump simply because they would have to accept the fact that not only were they duped, but that they weren't even smart enough to see it until the damage was done. As an example, think about a Bernie Madoff investor who just lost everything! But certainly, a large number of people would rethink their support under such circumstances, right?

I think that the vast majority of people, at least people who aren't unduly sheltered from the real world (by parents as an example) eventually interact with someone who's essentially dishonest in their interactions with others. Maybe it's a mechanic who has worked on their car. Perhaps it's a friend who betrays a confidence. Or it could be a business partner. However, the details don't really matter. For people who experience this, there's a Eureka moment when a person finally realized that they've been mislead, for outright deceived or cheated. The end result is a 180 degree change in opinion. While I wouldn't expect ALL of Trump's supporters to make that kind of radical change of opinion of Trump simply because they would have to accept the fact that not only were they duped, but that they weren't even smart enough to see it until the damage was done. As an example, think about a Bernie Madoff investor who just lost everything! But certainly, a large number of people would rethink their support under such circumstances, right?
I would like to believe that, but from what i have seen of this cult like following i doubt it. He has already shit in their face numerous times and they eat it like chocolate/fudge cake and beg for more.

you write really well. :)

Forum List

Back