ACLU Sues Newark

So? It is his money isn't it? Who has more right to say how the money should be spent.

The people in the school district.

The civil right being violated is the right to access public records.

It is private money though. You do understand the difference between "private" and "public" right?

So? It's a PUBLIC school and the parents have a right to know.

So? It is his money isn't it? Who has more right to say how the money should be spent.

The people in the school district.

The civil right being violated is the right to access public records.

It is private money though. You do understand the difference between "private" and "public" right?

He gave it to the schools a year ago. It ceased to be private money at that point. The parents of the district have every right to know what the money has been used for or will be used for.

It's quite amazing to watch you "conservatives" championing secretive governance.

The ACLU needs to be investigated imho for its anti aMerican activities.

You're joking, right? Please say that you are - because if this is serious, then you could not be more wrong.

The aclu picks and chooses when to do their thing.

Correct. When action is needed to correct a wrong, they do their thing. When it isn't, they don't.

Here's the thing about the ACLU, Two Thumbs - many of the suits they bring are against things that conservatives hold dear. The ACLU attacks the school yard bully on behalf of the other students. All too often, the school yard bully is the Right.

I agree. Why is the ACLU interested in this at all??

It certainly isn't unamerican to donate money.

Last I heard it isn't against any law either.

Whats their beef??

They are scared & concerned that the kids in District 1 might get a bigger and nicer playset than the kids in District 5.

AND that books might be bought that actually teach the kids to think for themselves...

Just sayin'

I see what your saying but I can't figure why the ACLU has a right to be stick its nose in at all.

Since when are they the arbiters of fairness??

I guess the ACLU just hates government. :lol:

over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss

ACLU Sues Newark over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com

Not everyone is happy about the $100 million donation Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gave Newark to improve its troubled schools.

The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the city on behalf of a parents group because details about how the money will be spent have been kept under wraps. The suit says that plans, and in particular, any written correspondence between city and state officials and Zuckerberg, are subject to New Jersey's Open Public Records Act.

So, since the state is not sharing with the ACLU, they are going to sue, thus costing the state money.

Brilliant, just friggin brilliant.

Normally, I agree with most of your positions, or at least sympathize with them. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here though TT.

All I get out of this is that they want the details made public. Where the money goes, what it's used for, etc. Sounds reasonable to me. Unless you have another article someplace supporting your position that the ACLU wants some of the money for themselves, I think you're off base here my friend.

Exactly, it is merely a legal motion to force transparency which the ACLU is filing ON BEHALF OF the parents...

"As parents, as taxpayers and as citizens, we have a need and right to know how the money pledged to Newark's public schools will ultimately serve Newark's public school students," Laura Baker, who filed the initial request and has a granddaughter in the school system, told The Associated Press.

If the parents are so concerned about how money is being spent why don't they make the school boards accountable. They let their own money, and that of all NJ residents being raped on property taxes, to be wasted but now they are concerned about how a private citizen wants his money spent? Utter BS. Hell, I probably pay more for their kids education thanks to the Supreme Court and Dems than they do.

What if he stipulated the money be used to get all the school kids signed up for Facebook?

The Newark school system has problems. I don't think not having all of the students in the system signed up for Facebook is one of them. Just guessing on that, but I suspect the problems they have are real and need to be addressed - with money; lots of money.
That money should be directed properly, not improperly.

Since the records sought appear to be public, and someone is not willing to fork them over, it raises the immediate suspicion that something might be afoot. That alone justifies the action.

I hadn't realized it was given to the school district a year ago. Perhaps it ended up in someone's pocket instead of spent on the district? It does sound very suspicious.

Let it be noted that "conservatives" are against government transparency.

Don't be dim.

Dem pols block shit all the time, specifically obama and the left and the aclu don't give a shit.

And my gripe is the cost of the suit, not the transparency.

So you agree that there is a lack of transparency here. Does that bother you or not? Apparently not, since you don't seem to think that the costs of the suit justify overturning the lack of transparency.

This is a confusing statement - perhaps one that has its origin somewhere deep within the recesses of your anal track?

If I were Zuc I'd take back my $100,000 million and donate it somewhere else.

Jeeze. Try to do something nice and this is what you get.

If the parents are so concerned about how money is being spent why don't they make the school boards accountable.

Isn't that exactly what is going on in this suit? I don't know who the plaintiff(s) is/are, but I would be willing to bet they might be a few parents of students at one of the Newark schools.

You're joking, right? Please say that you are - because if this is serious, then you could not be more wrong.

Correct. When action is needed to correct a wrong, they do their thing. When it isn't, they don't.

Here's the thing about the ACLU, Two Thumbs - many of the suits they bring are against things that conservatives hold dear. The ACLU attacks the school yard bully on behalf of the other students. All too often, the school yard bully is the Right.

I don't want to do into details. I know the aclu is full of shit and will look the other way, when they should be charging in, if it's a (D) that doing the dirt.

I don't want to do into details. I know the aclu is full of shit and will look the other way, when they should be charging in, if it's a (D) that doing the dirt.

Bull shit. The ACLU has a long record of taking out after liberal institutions when they step over the line.

OK, so can I assume if another group, say the Rainbow Coalition, were to give a zillion dollars to the Los Angeles public schools people wouldn't be up in arms demanding to know how the money would be spent and happy to accept the help of the ACLU in seeking transparency...........? :eusa_whistle:

You really suffer deeply for confirmation bias, don't you. The ACLU is involved with suits against Democrats all the time.

OK, so can I assume if another group, say the Rainbow Coalition, were to give a zillion dollars to the Los Angeles public schools people wouldn't be up in arms demanding to know how the money would be spent and happy to accept the help of the ACLU in seeking transparency...........? :eusa_whistle:

I would make a large waiver the teachers union is involved wanting a piece of the pie.
If for nothing else to scream loudly how they are for the children in needing bigger salaries.

Let it be noted that "conservatives" are against government transparency.

Don't be dim.

Dem pols block shit all the time, specifically obama and the left and the aclu don't give a shit.

And my gripe is the cost of the suit, not the transparency.

So you agree that there is a lack of transparency here. Does that bother you or not? Apparently not, since you don't seem to think that the costs of the suit justify overturning the lack of transparency.

This is a confusing statement - perhaps one that has its origin somewhere deep within the recesses of your anal track?

well fuck you too.

Lets see, what's a better idea;

sue the state and cost it money that in this economy is in short supply.
or
Make a public ass of themselves and shame the state into being open about whats going on. < that's free to do, fyi

and since you have read the thread, care to reply on my reply to Ravi that you cried that I ignored? Maybe man up and apologise for falsely accusing me? hmm?

Or NAMBLA!!!

Can you fucking imaging the meltdown that would entail? Maybe the cons would understand the need for transparency in government if that happened.

If the parents are so concerned about how money is being spent why don't they make the school boards accountable.

Isn't that exactly what is going on in this suit? I don't know who the plaintiff(s) is/are, but I would be willing to bet they might be a few parents of students at one of the Newark schools.

Is the ACLU asking about all the money spent in the Newark school system?
And why wait until now?

Is the ACLU asking about all the money spent in the Newark school system?
And why wait until now?
This is the only money that is being hidden.

Forum List

Back