ACLU Sues Newark

over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss

ACLU Sues Newark over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com

Not everyone is happy about the $100 million donation Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gave Newark to improve its troubled schools.

The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the city on behalf of a parents group because details about how the money will be spent have been kept under wraps. The suit says that plans, and in particular, any written correspondence between city and state officials and Zuckerberg, are subject to New Jersey's Open Public Records Act.

So, since the state is not sharing with the ACLU, they are going to sue, thus costing the state money.

Brilliant, just friggin brilliant.

Normally, I agree with most of your positions, or at least sympathize with them. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here though TT.

All I get out of this is that they want the details made public. Where the money goes, what it's used for, etc. Sounds reasonable to me. Unless you have another article someplace supporting your position that the ACLU wants some of the money for themselves, I think you're off base here my friend.

fair enough.

Here's the thing. ACLU would have a point if it were tax money. It's not, it was a donation to be used for schools, and by suing, they are taking money from the state for no other reason than they want to know.

this has zilch to do with civil liberties.

Agreed that it's a stupid suit. However, I'm not sure where you get that they are getting financial gain out of this. Sounds to me from the article you posted that all they are suing for is information about the process and where the money is going. Did I miss something else?

The point of the story to me is why is the ACLU so interested in this?
What civil liberty is offended?
Guess I am curious as to why the ACLU cares one way or another.
Why were they trying to find the info out in the first place?
There is more to this story somewhere.

They hate Gov Cristi for the (R) at the end of his name and the success he has produced.

serioulsy

Who would be able to fully grasp what's going on with that money? Who would want to know each and every step, unless they planned on critising it at every turn?

Moreover, the ACLU contends that because the donation will have a significant impact on Newark public school children, the city is obligated to be completely transparent with how the money was obtained and how it will be spent.

The motion states that the Secondary Parent Council and Newark taxpayers in general "have a strong interest in ensuring that the appropriate public officials, rather than private individuals, decide how to allocate the donated funds; or alternatively, an interest in knowing to what extent the private provenance of these funds affects the allocation of decisions."

ACLU suing Newark over transparency in Facebook founder's $100M donation to city schools | NJ.com

Why is the city being so secretive to begin with?

$100 million is a LOT of money.

One slip, one penny goes someplace where some people [the aclu] don't want, and it's a bigger shit storm than ever.

And considering I have never heard of a person donating so much to a school system, no one wants it screwed up, thus scaring off any future plans another wealthy person may have of doing something like it.

What if he stipulated the money be used to get all the school kids signed up for Facebook?

Normally, I agree with most of your positions, or at least sympathize with them. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here though TT.

All I get out of this is that they want the details made public. Where the money goes, what it's used for, etc. Sounds reasonable to me. Unless you have another article someplace supporting your position that the ACLU wants some of the money for themselves, I think you're off base here my friend.

fair enough.

Here's the thing. ACLU would have a point if it were tax money. It's not, it was a donation to be used for schools, and by suing, they are taking money from the state for no other reason than they want to know.

this has zilch to do with civil liberties.

Agreed that it's a stupid suit. However, I'm not sure where you get that they are getting financial gain out of this. Sounds to me from the article you posted that all they are suing for is information about the process and where the money is going. Did I miss something else?

court time cost money, prepping for court cost money and time.

what's the civil liberty that's being abused?

did anyone even ask if there was a completed plan? cuz I haven't heard of one.

I agree. Why is the ACLU interested in this at all??

It certainly isn't unamerican to donate money.

Last I heard it isn't against any law either.

Whats their beef??

Moreover, the ACLU contends that because the donation will have a significant impact on Newark public school children, the city is obligated to be completely transparent with how the money was obtained and how it will be spent.

The motion states that the Secondary Parent Council and Newark taxpayers in general "have a strong interest in ensuring that the appropriate public officials, rather than private individuals, decide how to allocate the donated funds; or alternatively, an interest in knowing to what extent the private provenance of these funds affects the allocation of decisions."

ACLU suing Newark over transparency in Facebook founder's $100M donation to city schools | NJ.com

Screw them. They have been wasting our money for decades without improving the schools. Let the private people spend "their" money how they wish.

One slip, one penny goes someplace where some people [the aclu] don't want, and it's a bigger shit storm than ever.

And considering I have never heard of a person donating so much to a school system, no one wants it screwed up, thus scaring off any future plans another wealthy person may have of doing something like it.

What if he stipulated the money be used to get all the school kids signed up for Facebook?

He?

If it's Zuc, the donator, then that's a stipulation that NJ would have to honor, assuming that was part of it.

If it came from the mayor or gov, that would seem a little silly, but possibly a way of thanking Zuc for the donation.

In PA you can go to school K-12 online now, so that may be an option that they are considering.

Whats their beef??

They are scared & concerned that the kids in District 1 might get a bigger and nicer playset than the kids in District 5.

AND that books might be bought that actually teach the kids to think for themselves...

Just sayin'

So? It is his money isn't it? Who has more right to say how the money should be spent.

So? It is his money isn't it? Who has more right to say how the money should be spent.

The people in the school district.

The civil right being violated is the right to access public records.

ACLU Sues Newark over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com

Not everyone is happy about the $100 million donation Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gave Newark to improve its troubled schools.

The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the city on behalf of a parents group because details about how the money will be spent have been kept under wraps. The suit says that plans, and in particular, any written correspondence between city and state officials and Zuckerberg, are subject to New Jersey's Open Public Records Act.

So, since the state is not sharing with the ACLU, they are going to sue, thus costing the state money.

Exactly, it is merely a legal motion to force transparency which the ACLU is filing ON BEHALF OF the parents...

"As parents, as taxpayers and as citizens, we have a need and right to know how the money pledged to Newark's public schools will ultimately serve Newark's public school students," Laura Baker, who filed the initial request and has a granddaughter in the school system, told The Associated Press.

Chalk it up to yet another reason why government should not run the education system.

“The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality”
Henry Louis Mencken

what's the civil liberty that's being abused?

You are aware that the ACLU is not limited to "civil liberty" suits, right?

In a post just above this one, Ravi asked, what if it was stipulated that all of the money had to be used to put Newark school kids on Facebook? Instead of commenting on that, you come up with "what's the civil liberty that's being abused?" Did you even READ Ravi's question? If not, read it now - and there's your answer.

How do we know that isn't the case? And if it were the case, wouldn't that bother you a bit if you were the parent of a Newark school child? If that were the case, then all of that money would be for nothing useful for the school system. Not good.

But, more realistically, I am wondering why anyone is NOT willing to make these records and this correspondence public. That raises an immediate red flag, seems to me.

You folks might want to forget about this knee-jerk, "anything the ACLU does is suspect" crap. It works the other way around - anything the ACLU does is probably spot on.

The people in the school district.

The civil right being violated is the right to access public records.

It is private money though. You do understand the difference between "private" and "public" right?

The Newark school system has problems. I don't think not having all of the students in the system signed up for Facebook is one of them. Just guessing on that, but I suspect the problems they have are real and need to be addressed - with money; lots of money.
That money should be directed properly, not improperly.

Since the records sought appear to be public, and someone is not willing to fork them over, it raises the immediate suspicion that something might be afoot. That alone justifies the action.

Whats their beef??

They are scared & concerned that the kids in District 1 might get a bigger and nicer playset than the kids in District 5.

AND that books might be bought that actually teach the kids to think for themselves...

Just sayin'

I see what your saying but I can't figure why the ACLU has a right to be stick its nose in at all.

Since when are they the arbiters of fairness??

You folks might want to forget about this knee-jerk, "anything the ACLU does is suspect" crap. It works the other way around - anything the ACLU does is probably spot on.

You mean like fighting to ensure that the members of NAMBLA are secure in their right to distribute info about the best way for grown men to lure little boys & avoid detection/prosecution?

the ACLU usually has it wrong...

Forum List

Back