Academies of Science finds GMOs not harmful to human health

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This should not be a surprise to anyone with common sense. Man has been “genetically modifying” crops since the first time they found ways to make grasses produce more seeds for food. It also goes along with taming wild animals to change them for better use as food and other substances. Most of the anti-GMO types scream and yell about Monsanto as if that company is the root of all evil. I suppose they'd rather see more millions die of starvation.

Full story @ Academies of Science finds GMOs not harmful to human health

"Yeah, its ok, look at me."
ZombiePlant.png

Still unthinkable here in Germany, just like fracking.

I dotn have a problem with GMOs. I just want to know if that's what im eating. But you make a good point, OP..
What did France sue Monsanto for?
I also heard Bayer might buy Monsanto.

Here is my problem with stuff like this. The food industry fucks people up all the time with lies, half lies, and more lies. If they are going to make more money off GMO's I dont need a study to tell me there is something potentially harmful about what I will be eating.

[TRIGGER WARNING: CONSERVATIVE WITH AN OPINION HERE!!!]

Unless the modified genetics in question have been found to secrete some kind of poisonous biological fluid into what would otherwise simply be an ear of corn, I'm not convinced.

"GMO"-- or hybrid corn-- is what saved the dust bowl.

Every domesticated dog on the face of the Earth is a result of artificial (human) genetic selection. Without GMO dogs, the Koreans would have tragically starved to death thousands of years ago.

That being said, I grow as much organic tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and peppers that I can to supplement good eating habits, along with my organic [blue] chicken eggs and organic Katahdin.

It's the pesticides and ammonium-based fertilizers that I'm worried about.

Unless the modified genetics in question have been found to secrete some kind of poisonous biological fluid into what would otherwise simply be an ear of corn, I'm not convinced.

Every domesticated dog on the face of the Earth is a result of artificial (human) genetic selection. Without GMO dogs, the Koreans would have tragically starved to death thousands of years ago.

That being said, I grow as much organic tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and peppers that I can to supplement good eating habits, along with my organic [blue] chicken eggs and organic Katahdin.

Ironically, GMO's can help reduce the need for pesticides and fertilizers.

Except they dont. Monsanto has you guys literally eating out of the palm of their hands. I guess that means more profits at your expense.

Herbicide-Resistant 'Super Weeds' Increasingly Plaguing Farmers

It could, but that would also affect profit margins. So it won't. ;)

The meta-study won't affect the True Believers. They'll simply declare the scientists were all in the pay of the GMO industry. That's how religions operate; nothing can challenge their faith.

The summary (as the study itself is paywalled, and would cost you $71)
National Academies report looks at 30 years of GE crops, advocates changes to regulation - GENeS
---
  • Generally positive economic outcomes for farmers, but no indication GE crops changed the rate of increase in yields;
  • Decreased crop losses, insecticide use and greater insect biodiversity for insect-resistant Bt crops, but also instances of insects evolving resistance;
  • No decrease in plant biodiversity for herbicide tolerant crops, but a major problem with herbicide-resistant weeds due to heavy glyphosate use;
  • No evidence that foods from GE crops are less safe to eat than conventional food.
---

Also interesting is the political component of some assorted science-denying conspiracy theories. Anti-GMO belief has no political component. That is, it's equally prevalent on right and left.

Americans, Politics and Science Issues

Anti-vaxxism is also politically neutral. Anti-nukism is still mildly associated with the left, while global warming denial is strongly associated with the right.

This should not be a surprise to anyone with common sense. Man has been “genetically modifying” crops since the first time they found ways to make grasses produce more seeds for food. It also goes along with taming wild animals to change them for better use as food and other substances. Most of the anti-GMO types scream and yell about Monsanto as if that company is the root of all evil. I suppose they'd rather see more millions die of starvation.

Full story @ Academies of Science finds GMOs not harmful to human health

In fairness, we wouldn't even need the likes of Monsanto if humanity wasn't stupid enough to let themselves forget how to make their own damn food.

It could, but that would also affect profit margins. So it won't. ;)
Profit margins for pesticide and fertilizer manufacturers, not for seed producers.

Except they dont. Monsanto has you guys literally eating out of the palm of their hands. I guess that means more profits at your expense.

Herbicide-Resistant 'Super Weeds' Increasingly Plaguing Farmers
The fear is strong in that one.

Forum List

Back