Abortions & Condoms & Popes, Oh My!

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Leaked FCO memo 'will not affect Pope visit'
Pope Benedict XVI
The last papal visit to the UK was in May 1982

The Pope's visit to Britain will not be affected by a leaked memo which appeared to mock the Catholic Church, the Vatican has said.

The Foreign Office has apologised over the paper resulting from a "brainstorm" which said the Pope could bless a gay marriage or open an abortion clinic.

UK newspaper reports have quoted Vatican sources as saying the September visit could now be in doubt.

But Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said: "For us the case is closed."

Noting the Foreign Office's apology, Fr Lombardi told the ANSA news agency the incident would have "absolutely" no impact on the Pope's 16 to 19 September visit.

The Foreign Office has stressed the internal memo by a junior civil servant containing "naive and disrespectful" ideas for marking the visit did not reflect its views.

Details of the document, which also suggested the visit could be marked by special "Benedict" condoms, emerged after it was obtained by the Sunday Telegraph.

Personally, I think this is funny as shit, about a horrible situation.

I'd like to actually see the pope Bent Dick/Rat Singer bless a gay wedding and give 'em a condom though. I mean, it's not like gay behavior is anything foreign to the Catholic priest, they've been doing it for a while now.

Forum List

Back