Eastern Churches, a Thorn in the Pope's Side

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Eastern Europe is a thorn in the side of Francis’s pontificate, and there are many varied elements that prove it.

In the twofold synod on the family, the bishops of eastern Europe were among the most resolute defenders of tradition, starting with the relator general of the first session, Hungarian cardinal Péter Erdõ, author among other things of a sensational public condemnation of the violations committed by the reformist faction, which clearly had the support of the pope.

After the synod, eastern Europe was once again the source of the most restrictive interpretations of the papal document “Amoris Laetitia.” The bishops of Poland were particularly unanimous in calling for an application of the document in perfect continuity with the age-old teaching of the Church from its origin until John Paul II and Benedict XVI.

The bishops of Ukraine - where 10 percent of the population is Catholic – are also among the most dedicated in opposing ruptures with respect to tradition in the areas of marriage, penance, the Eucharist. But in addition they have not failed to criticize strongly the pro-Russian positions of Pope Francis and of the Holy See concerning the war underway in their country, a war that they experience as aggression on the part of none other than Vladimir Putin’s Russia.

The embrace between the pope and Moscow patriarch Kirill at the Havana airport on February 12, 2016, with the associated document signed by both, was also a powerful element of friction between Jorge Mario Bergoglio and the Ukrainian Catholic Church, which sees itself as being unjustly sacrificed on the altar of this reconciliation between Rome and Moscow.
Eastern Churches, a Thorn in the Pope's Side

Here is the Pew Research link located in the above link as well.
Religious Belief and National Belonging in Central and Eastern Europe

It appears there are a lot of unhappy people with the pope.

It's a little schism that started with the fall of Rome and the continuation of the Eastern Romans. Instead of a military competition it became a competition for souls, and tithe monies..

It's a little schism that started with the fall of Rome and the continuation of the Eastern Romans. Instead of a military competition it became a competition for souls, and tithe monies..

It started a bit before that but OK.

There are a lot of unhappy people with this pope.

I went back to 465 A.D.

I'd go back further, if not 381 than earlier.
Fine, go back then...

I went back to 465 A.D.

Fine, go back then...

You.

I went back to 465 A.D.

Fine, go back then...

You.
It smells too bad...

Forum List

Back