Abbott calls Texas school shooting a mental health issue but cut state spending for it

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Throwing money at everything doesn't fix it. Doesn't mean that they would have stopped this crazy.

In this case, it absolutely does. Decades ago we stopped forcibly institutionalizing people in most cases and look where we are now. There are nowhere near the amount of mental health hospitals available for people to get treatment. The funding doesn't exist. The infrastructure doesn't exist. Many of the homeless people you see on the streets out here on the west coast are suffering with addiction and/or mental illness. The problem has slowly gotten worse over the years.

We never had all of these school shootings before. I was in high school when Columbine happened. That was the first one I ever heard of and from there they slowly got more and more common.

True about the mental health spending.

What is also true is that China and India have populations 3 and 4 times ours. Its a fair bet to say there are just as many crazies over there as there are here if not more so. How many mass shootings do they have? The population of Europe is 2X ours. Plenty of nutjobs over there. How many mass shootings do they have?

In this case, it absolutely does. Decades ago we stopped forcibly institutionalizing people in most cases and look where we are now. There are nowhere near the amount of mental health hospitals available for people to get treatment. The funding doesn't exist. The infrastructure doesn't exist. Many of the homeless people you see on the streets out here on the west coast are suffering with addiction and/or mental illness. The problem has slowly gotten worse over the years.

We never had all of these school shootings before. I was in high school when Columbine happened. That was the first one I ever heard of and from there they slowly got more and more common.
Band Aid and nothing more...........don't solve what causes that poverty and dispair first it doens't fix the problem. Cost of living is out of control. The American dream for a lot of people is dead.........When the younger see they are screwed they say what's the point.

The current shooter was a trans......and bullied .......long term........and broke..... He didn't even intend to do the school I believe..........he wrecked there with a fire fight with the police and went in to the school. Then did the mass killing.

What is also true is that China and India have populations 3 and 4 times ours. Its a fair bet to say there are just as many crazies over there as there are here if not more so. How many mass shootings do they have? The population of Europe is 2X ours. Plenty of nutjobs over there. How many mass shootings do they have?
Would you repealed Hughes Amendment for 100% mental health funding for everyone?

I can't speak for India, but I've been to China and I'm pretty you would not want to mimic their laws. Yes, Beijing is a very safe city despite being three times the size of New York City. You can walk around at 1:00 in the morning and not have to worry about getting mugged or raped or shot, but that's because there are soldiers standing guard on the street corners and there is no civil disobedience of any kind tolerated by the government. They execute significantly more people there and those who they don't end up in brutal gulags.

Accomplishes nothing for NYC.

It would help, wouldnt it?
There are no guarantees with anything...................none...........the younger generation need the American Dream restored......our economic demise with our idiotic policies breed hopelessness.

Most crime and turning to drugs are in poverty areas..........Roaring economy and stop killing the dollar is a better answer.

I can't speak for India, but I've been to China and I'm pretty you would not want to mimic their laws. Yes, Beijing is a very safe city despite being three times the size of New York City. You can walk around at 1:00 in the morning and not have to worry about getting mugged or raped or shot, but that's because there are soldiers standing guard on the street corners and there is no civil disobedience of any kind tolerated by the government. They execute significantly more people there and those who they don't end up in brutal gulags.

Red herring.

If the old "2nd amendment supporter" adage of "only honest people obey the law relative to illegal weapons, gun laws, etc... were true, that would apply over there too. I'm sure in a nation of over a billion, there are some dishonest people. So why aren't they having these massacres?

Do you think that maybe it might be because they don't have the availability of firearms that we have over here?

Red herring.

If the old "2nd amendment supporter" adage of "only honest people obey the law relative to illegal weapons, gun laws, etc... were true, that would apply over there too. I'm sure in a nation of over a billion, there are some dishonest people. So why aren't they having these massacres?

Do you think that maybe it might be because they don't have the availability of firearms that we have over here?
They do have massacres...when the people demand democracy, the military massacres them.
Keep up with Reuters, AP News and BBC.

There are no guarantees with anything...................none...........the younger generation need the American Dream restored......our economic demise with our idiotic policies breed hopelessness.

Most crime and turning to drugs are in poverty areas..........Roaring economy and stop killing the dollar is a better answer.
Guarantees?? What are you talking about. Of course there aren’t guarantees. But we can do what we can to help make things better.

Guarantees?? What are you talking about. Of course there aren’t guarantees. But we can do what we can to help make things better.
Then get the economy going and stop killing the dollar.............those who live in poverty turn to drugs and crime..........

And lose it too.

Forum List

Back