A Year Later, Some Republicans Second-Guess Boycotting the Jan. 6 Panel

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
WASHINGTON — The four hearings held in the past few weeks by the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack, with their clear, uninterrupted narratives about President Donald J. Trump’s effort to undercut the peaceful transfer of power, have left some pro-Trump Republicans wringing their hands with regret about a decision made nearly a year ago.

Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the minority leader, chose last summer to withdraw all of his nominees to the committee — amid a dispute with Speaker Nancy Pelosi over her rejection of his first two choices — a turning point that left the nine-member investigative committee without a single ally of Mr. Trump.

But the public display this month of what the panel has learned — including damning evidence against Mr. Trump and his allies — left some Republicans wishing more vocally that Mr. Trump had strong defenders on the panel to try to counter the evidence its investigators dig up.

“Unfortunately, a bad decision was made,” Mr. Trump told the conservative radio host Wayne Allyn Root this week. He added: “It was a bad decision not to have representation on that committee. That was a very, very foolish decision.”

The committee has also used prominent Republicans as witnesses to make its case, leaving Mr. Trump’s allies with an impossible task: How are they to defend him — even from the outside — when the evidence against him comes from Republican lawyers, a widely respected conservative judge, his campaign advisers and even his own daughter?

Who were the two that Pelosi objected to and why did she do so?

If they really want to counter the Dem narrative, they can do so after they take back the House. I don't think the GOP have the fighters needed for such a task, which is one big reason why Trump is so popular with the GOP anyways.

Just the #nevertrumpers.....Nobody else cares.....It sure as hell does not look like it's doing Liz Cheney any good....Down another four points in WY from last week.....34 points down.

She's so fuckin' desperate at this point she's sending out flyers begging dems to change their party affiliation.

WASHINGTON — The four hearings held in the past few weeks by the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack, with their clear, uninterrupted narratives about President Donald J. Trump’s effort to undercut the peaceful transfer of power, have left some pro-Trump Republicans wringing their hands with regret about a decision made nearly a year ago.

Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the minority leader, chose last summer to withdraw all of his nominees to the committee — amid a dispute with Speaker Nancy Pelosi over her rejection of his first two choices — a turning point that left the nine-member investigative committee without a single ally of Mr. Trump.

But the public display this month of what the panel has learned — including damning evidence against Mr. Trump and his allies — left some Republicans wishing more vocally that Mr. Trump had strong defenders on the panel to try to counter the evidence its investigators dig up.

“Unfortunately, a bad decision was made,” Mr. Trump told the conservative radio host Wayne Allyn Root this week. He added: “It was a bad decision not to have representation on that committee. That was a very, very foolish decision.”

The committee has also used prominent Republicans as witnesses to make its case, leaving Mr. Trump’s allies with an impossible task: How are they to defend him — even from the outside — when the evidence against him comes from Republican lawyers, a widely respected conservative judge, his campaign advisers and even his own daughter?

There was a massive security failure at the Capitol on 1/6 right? So tell me (since I'm not watching the shit show) how many minutes have they discussed or questioned the woefully inadequate security, and more importantly security's role in enabling the breach? Did they bring in the Capitol Police Chief who resigned immediately? Mayor Bowser? Ray Epps? The only people watching are Kool Aid chugging Trump haters.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Just the #nevertrumpers.....Nobody else cares.....It sure as hell does not look like it's doing Liz Cheney any good....Down another four points in WY from last week.....34 points down.

She's so fuckin' desperate at this point she's sending out flyers begging dems to change their party affiliation.
Rump is also a nevertrumper? Did you read the part where the orange douche bag is whining that no one is looking out for him? I even helpfully bolded it. Try to keep up.

Rump is also a nevertrumper? Did you read the part where the orange douche bag is whining that no one is looking out for him? I even helpfully bolded it. Try to keep up.
You operate under the false assumption that I care what Trump says.....I don't plan to vote for him if he runs in the primary if there is another viable choice I can make.

But go ahead, I don't want to interfere with a lynch mob in the performance of it's duties.

You operate under the false assumption that I care what Trump says.....I don't plan to vote for him if he runs in the primary if there is another viable choice I can make.

But go ahead, I don't want to interfere with a lynch mob in the performance of it's duties.

I'm on the DeSantis bandwagon, but if Trump is the nominee he will have my vote.

It was a kangaroo panel from the beginning. The reason they boycotted it was democrats stacked the deck with everything in their favor. They were not allowing fairness in any way, shape, or form. They made the right decision to boycott something that democrats had absolute and complete power over anyway.

I'm on the DeSantis bandwagon, but if Trump is the nominee he will have my vote.
Sure, but I'd prefer someone else other than Trump if I had my rathers.

That said we should still take our revenge on the dems in November, in part, because of what they did in 2020.
Get that done and then we can fight among ourselves a bit....It should be fun. ;)

Sure, but I'd prefer someone else other than Trump if I had my rathers.

That said we should still take our revenge on the dems in November, in part, because of what they did in 2020.
Get that done and then we can fight among ourselves a bit....It should be fun. ;)

I want hearing after hearing after hearing.

Unless we get a majority in both the house and the Senate, then we make them filibuster bill after bill after bill.

In the shocking case of a 60 vote supermajority in the Senate? Pass every bill we want and make Biden Veto them.

Who the fuck cares if you like or dislike Rump? You dismissed the article because you thought it was about nevertrumpers. I'm pointing out that Rump is one of those who are whining.

Let me know if you are still confused.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Forum List

Back