A word of caution about hydroplaning

Lord Long Rod

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2023
I was driving on a 4-lane divided highway in a pretty rural area. I had just bought my 370Z 3 weeks prior. It had rained earlier. The roads were wet, but drying. In other words, there was no standing water. Driving fast in these conditions is dangerous because the tread on your tires cannot channel and disburse the water as quickly as if you were driving slower.

I was driving along in a 65 mph zone going around 80-85 mph. I rounded a slight curve and hydroplaned. I went completely sideways. I corrected by steering into the skid. My car responded, but kept on going, making me sideways again but pointed in the opposition direction. However, my car was now going off the side of the road and into the trees. I absolutely knew this was my time. I was dead.

The crashing into the trees was violent. Fortunately, when the car came to a stop I had survived. I walked away with only bruises and soreness all over. My car has been totaled. There appeared to be 3 impact points: Front left, front right, and on the rear bumper a little left of center. The best I can figure is that I careened through the trees, taking out saplings and somehow missing trees large enough to stop me and cause catastrophic harm. I think the car spun, as I came in at an angle. The front driver's side wheel was completely gone. Neither me or the first responders could find it.

I was checked out by EMTs on the scene then let go. I had to call someone to come get me, as I was out of town. One of the EMTs told me that a tractor trailer had jackknifed on that turn not long ago. They brought in sand to put on the road. The implication being that there may be a slick spot on the road. But, whatever, I should not have been driving that fast in the rain. Nobody else that passed by me was sliding. I am also told that the car's relative light weight may have contributed to the slide.

This was just a week ago this past Saturday. I am still sore and bruised, but it is getting better. I am wildly lucky that I survived the crash and was not seriously injured. I have already bought another 370Z, this time through Carvana. It is supposed to be delivered to me this Thursday.

I am 52 years old and have been driving since I was 16. I have never had anything like this happen. I have never been in a serious wreck. But, it can and will happen, and you will not have much time to respond when it does. Even if you respond correctly, you may still crash and kill yourself (and others in the car with you). I make this confession of my own stupidity in order to make the point that everyone needs to slow down in the rain. This hydroplaning danger is NO JOKE.

I was driving on a 4-lane divided highway in a pretty rural area. I had just bought my 370Z 3 weeks prior. It had rained earlier. The roads were wet, but drying. In other words, there was no standing water. Driving fast in these conditions is dangerous because the tread on your tires cannot channel and disburse the water as quickly as if you were driving slower.

I was driving along in a 65 mph zone going around 80-85 mph. I rounded a slight curve and hydroplaned. I went completely sideways. I corrected by steering into the skid. My car responded, but kept on going, making me sideways again but pointed in the opposition direction. However, my car was now going off the side of the road and into the trees. I absolutely knew this was my time. I was dead.

The crashing into the trees was violent. Fortunately, when the car came to a stop I had survived. I walked away with only bruises and soreness all over. My car has been totaled. There appeared to be 3 impact points: Front left, front right, and on the rear bumper a little left of center. The best I can figure is that I careened through the trees, taking out saplings and somehow missing trees large enough to stop me and cause catastrophic harm. I think the car spun, as I came in at an angle. The front driver's side wheel was completely gone. Neither me or the first responders could find it.

I was checked out by EMTs on the scene then let go. I had to call someone to come get me, as I was out of town. One of the EMTs told me that a tractor trailer had jackknifed on that turn not long ago. They brought in sand to put on the road. The implication being that there may be a slick spot on the road. But, whatever, I should not have been driving that fast in the rain. Nobody else that passed by me was sliding. I am also told that the car's relative light weight may have contributed to the slide.

This was just a week ago this past Saturday. I am still sore and bruised, but it is getting better. I am wildly lucky that I survived the crash and was not seriously injured. I have already bought another 370Z, this time through Carvana. It is supposed to be delivered to me this Thursday.

I am 52 years old and have been driving since I was 16. I have never had anything like this happen. I have never been in a serious wreck. But, it can and will happen, and you will not have much time to respond when it does. Even if you respond correctly, you may still crash and kill yourself (and others in the car with you). I make this confession of my own stupidity in order to make the point that everyone needs to slow down in the rain. This hydroplaning danger is NO JOKE.
Glad that you're OK! Another factor is how long had it not rained before the latest one? They say that oil and water don't mix, but a hard rain washes away much of the spew from the cars. When it gets to build up and there's a moderate rain, watch out! Especially on two wheels.

Here in Florida the roads are terrible about flooding in a rain storm. We're the flattest state and often there's just no place for the water to go. I've hydroplaned a bunch of times. I only wrecked once. VW bug just broke loose, spun around at least three times, almost rolled and ended up in some guy's front yard. He wasn't even mad.

I have hydroplaned a few times, even just doing 55 on wet highway. When you start to lose control, you are supposed to let off the gas and the car straightens out. Maybe they dont teach that anymore in drivers ed?

If your vehicle starts to hydroplane you should follow these steps:²
  1. Remain calm and slow down. Avoid the natural urge to slam on your brakes. Instead, ease your foot off the gas pedal.
  2. Use a light pumping action on the pedal if you need to brake. If you have anti-lock brakes, you can brake normally.
  3. Once you’ve regained control of your car, take a minute or two to calm yourself down. ...
https://blog.nationwide.com/vehicle/vehicle-safety/what-to-do-when-hydroplaning/
Nationwide.com
https://blog.nationwide.com/vehicle/vehicle-safety/what-to-do-when-hydroplaning/

What to Do When Hydroplaning - Insurance & Personal Finance Arti…

The highways get so beat on the superslab by me that the weight of the numerous semi trucks leave ruts in the highway, so there will be standing water in those ruts. You learn real quick to stay out of them.
Last week towing the boat I felt traction give a little when I caught the rut. Gets the heart beating a little. But I am used to black ice in winter, so no problem.

Last edited:
About 30 years ago driving home from Chicago on a very cold Michigan January night, I nearly bought the farm. Driving a new Chrysler minivan going too fast, I came over a slight rise on the interstate and the backend started to come around. I rode it out staying off the brake, but it scared the shit out of me.

I've always sneered about the nanny shit they put on newer vehicles.
I learned there value on a rainy day in Houston. I was driving down the westpark toll road,or as we call it The Autobahn, because there's no place for the cops to park on the roadside.
I was in my FJ doing around 80 when I hit pooling water in a low spot on the road.
I started hydroplaning and the rear started to come around,the auto correction system kicked in and I could feel the brake pedal chattering under my foot. It automatically corrected the spin by applying the brakes to the correct wheel and straightened up the FJ before I knew it was happening.
I no longer sneer at those Nanny features.

This last winter I dropped my daughter off in Gatlinburg to meet some friends and had to drive back to Georgia through the mountains in a snow storm. I was freaking out because I already hate driving on curvy roads especially at night. I call my husband freaking out and he says "you've been driving for 30 years, your car has good tires and brakes, you'll be fine". I tried to stay behind semi's or another car going slow.

When it's raining hard people tend to slow down.
When it's light people tend to ignore it.

When the road is wet, slow down.
ESPECIALLY in Florida
Drive a big truck for a while. You'd surprised. There's a breed of people who see it rain or snow and hop right into their cars, usually after not driving for at least a month. Their brains are just wired that way. They know they can't drive for shit subconsciously so they figure, Hey, now it's my turn! If I screw up, everyone will just blame it on the rain. You usually spot them first hanging out in the passing lane, going way too fast. Later you see lots of debris in the median where two suddenly met in the pouring rain.

I've never had much of a problem with hydroplaning. Occasionally a little front wheel slid when rounding a corner I suppose. Now I have driven into pools of water I really shouldn't have and was lucky to make it out of. In one of those my then little pick up started floating sideways but I was going pretty slow. Fortunately the front tire caught ground in time for me to get the front in back going in the right direction. That was when a very warm rain fell on several days ice and snow and it overwhelmed the storm drain system.

I've always sneered about the nanny shit they put on newer vehicles.
I learned there value on a rainy day in Houston. I was driving down the westpark toll road,or as we call it The Autobahn, because there's no place for the cops to park on the roadside.
I was in my FJ doing around 80 when I hit pooling water in a low spot on the road.
I started hydroplaning and the rear started to come around,the auto correction system kicked in and I could feel the brake pedal chattering under my foot. It automatically corrected the spin by applying the brakes to the correct wheel and straightened up the FJ before I knew it was happening.
I no longer sneer at those Nanny features.
ABS can react way faster than the best driver, for sure.

Glad that you're OK! Another factor is how long had it not rained before the latest one? They say that oil and water don't mix, but a hard rain washes away much of the spew from the cars. When it gets to build up and there's a moderate rain, watch out! Especially on two wheels.
Thanks.

Forum List

Back