Lessons learned from the Eclipse traffic and bugging out

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Somewhere in TN after the eclipse.

1: Traffic on the only main route was bumper to bumper. If you are going to be bugging out, you had better be first (was bumper to bumper within 15 minutes of the Eclipse totality ending).

2: Traffic was still the same after 2.5 hours when I came back through to look at it before getting on the highway, so I went on a backroad.

3: Top 2 alternates routes according to Google/Apple had a lot of traffic going very slow due to not knowing the road and it being hilly/curvy (speeds were 25-40 mph from the limit of 55 mph).

4: Lots of gas stations were totally out of fuel that were close to the highway. They had signs out already when I came back through.

5: Normal drive time is 3 hours, with all the speed decreases and backroads, it took me 5 hours to get home without stopping for any reason.

Sorta makes you think....And this was just "lark" event, nothing your life depended on, and with optimal driving conditions.

1: Traffic on the only main route was bumper to bumper. If you are going to be bugging out, you had better be first (was bumper to bumper within 15 minutes of the Eclipse totality ending).

2: Traffic was still the same after 2.5 hours when I came back through to look at it before getting on the highway, so I went on a backroad.

3: Top 2 alternates routes according to Google/Apple had a lot of traffic going very slow due to not knowing the road and it being hilly/curvy (speeds were 25-40 mph from the limit of 55 mph).

4: Lots of gas stations were totally out of fuel that were close to the highway. They had signs out already when I came back through.

5: Normal drive time is 3 hours, with all the speed decreases and backroads, it took me 5 hours to get home without stopping for any reason.

Sorta makes you think....And this was just "lark" event, nothing your life depended on, and with optimal driving conditions.
wife was following road conditions more than I was, but grandsons trip from where they watched is a normal 4 hr trip. took 9 hrs.

I will keep those "Lessons Learned" for the next eclipse... I've I'm still around and I am not senile.

P.A.C.E.
Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency

OP is omitting a key point: during a bona fide “bug out” event, the hardcore folks will be heavily armed.

I am planning on welding a couple of M60s to the front fenders of my 370Z with electric triggering, a la Walter White.

Forum List

Back